Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering with Android 2.2

Options
  • 05-11-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a HTC Desire HD with Android 2.2 and not too sure if the networks will allow tethering to my laptop with this phone. I think android 2.2 is the first system which has an option for tethering, but the networks may block this.

What I'm wondering is, if I purchase a sim free version, sign up to a networks monthly package (leaving the phone unlocked) will I be able to use the tethering option without the network knowing. Only require a small amount of access from my laptop so would be under the 1/2gb limit.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I don't think they can tell if you are tethering or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I have an original desire using 2.2 on meteor bill pay and i use it to tether all the time using both the wireless hot-spot function and through the USB, AFAIK they have no way of knowing

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think they care if you are tethering. It is a standard option (you can set it up as a wifi hotspot also) and as said above, they have no way of knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I have an original desire using 2.2 on meteor bill pay and i use it to tether all the time using both the wireless hot-spot function and through the USB, AFAIK they have no way of knowing

Exact same here. I have to say, I find the wireless hotspot option on the Desire and one of the main reasons I bought Desire/Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 adsw

With android 2.2, the option to tether is available on the operating system rather than having to go off and get 3rd party software. Giving this comes as standard on 2.2, is there a chance the networks will block this feature and charge to enable it.

Would be great if anyone who has purchased a new android 2.2 phone from a network could mention if this option has been blocked or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's on my 2.1 update 2 Galaxy S, go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile AP, just switch on mobile AP and it turns the Galaxy into a MiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The networks have no way of telling that you are tethering other than a suspicion that you are downloading more data than an average phone user.

The only reason people ask your question is because apple specifically made tethering a distinct feature for the networks for revenue generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 adsw

The networks have no way of telling that you are tethering other than a suspicion that you are downloading more data than an average phone user.

The only reason people ask your question is because apple specifically made tethering a distinct feature for the networks for revenue generation.

Thanks Jimmy

Asked the question, because as this is a new option on Android 2.2, will the networks block it.

Anyone here with a Desire HD from a network ? Can you check if this setting can be enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

adsw wrote: »
    Thanks Jimmy

Asked the question, because as this is a new option on Android 2.2, will the networks block it.

Anyone here with a Desire HD from a network ? Can you check if this setting can be enabled.

I am on Meteor, I have a colleague on O2, no issues with or enabling the wifi or usb tether on either networks, all data over it is part of your data package........

I think its just an Apple thing from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

kippy wrote: »
    I am on Meteor, I have a colleague on O2, no issues with or enabling the wifi or usb tether on either networks, all data over it is part of your data package........

I think its just an Apple thing from what I can tell.

a friend of mine has 2.2 and uses tethering no problem.
    he also could set his phone up as a wifi hot spot and share it out.

apple could somehow block/charge for tethering.
    thats why some people might think that android would be the same.
    Android > Apple :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

i don't know whether they can track your usage or not but Vodafone have a distinct "tethering" add-on i.e. they expect you to pay for tethering.

Advertisement