Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Cultúrlann

Options
  • 05-11-2010 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

The Cultúrlanns in Belfast and Derry have been going strong with a while now, They have provided a space for Irish to focus and develop around in their communities, Do you think It would be a good Idea to build something similar in Cities in the South?

McAdam Ó Fiaich

Uí Chanáin

They are both now trying to develop a Gaelthacht Quarter in their cities.

Do you think it would be worth while to Invest in something like that, what changes would you make or can you see problems with how these centers are run?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Very worthwhile and desirable for all the cities of Ireland, but I cant see anything getting off the ground, due to lack of finance, for a few years yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Very worthwhile and desirable for all the cities of Ireland, but I cant see anything getting off the ground, due to lack of finance, for a few years yet.

OK there is no denying that this is a long term Idea, What would you see as the main benefits to be brought from having a Cultúrlann in A city? And what do you think the main opsticals that would be faced(excluding Finance)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I would see it as the focal point for all those interested, who are, of course scattered in every direction. "Croí" would be a term that comes to mind quickly when thinking of this.
    The only downside would be the begrudgers, but they are best left ignored anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Cultúrlann in Derry is actually relatively new. I've been to the Belfast one a few times now, and it's a crucial part of the Belfast Irish language community. I think that funding would be better spent on Irish language community centres, rather than other areas of the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

There's a Facebook group here to support setting one up in Dublin.

It's being promoted by Fondúireacht na Gaeilge (www.fnag.ie) and Conradh na Gaeilge (www.cnag.ie).

There's lots more info on the Fondúireacht website about the plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement