Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Fines

Options
  • 05-11-2010 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Is there any where you can get out of them. I took a book out from open reserve. I totally forgot about returning it. I didnt even have it for 24 hours and i got slapped with a 7 euro fine. Ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

You didnt keep it out on purpose but the books from the open reserve are there for a reason and im almost positive they won't take "i forgot as an excuse". Don't really think there is any way you can really get around it. Go pay the fine and just be sure not to keep it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous? The Library make a very big deal about the open reserve books, and the entrance to the room has signs on either side of the door reminding people that they can only be taken out for 4 hours.

You broke the rules here I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Is there any where you can get out of them. I took a book out from open reserve. I totally forgot about returning it. I didnt even have it for 24 hours and i got slapped with a 7 euro fine. Ridiculous.

I know you didnt mean to keep it out but there shouldnt be anyway out of these fines. Many of the books in open reserve are essential for essays or assignments which a number of students would be working on, if people get away with fines because they "forgot" the system goes to shíte. By the way, how long were you in the library for? I thought open reserve books werent to be taken out of the building.
    Im not having a go at you, just saying the fines are for a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

To be honest, if i was looking for a book in Open Reserve and somebody had kept it for a day, i'd be pretty pi$$ed off, so in this case i'm sorry to say that i agree with the fine. If it was overdue and had been taken from Q+1 or Q+2 i wouldn't mind so much, but not returning to Open Reserve is a big no no and unfair to other students who expect the material to be available either immediately or within a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Leftbelle

That's the way it works.. We've got over 20,000 students in UCC and everyone gets assignments so the library is under major strain.
    It sucks that you genuinely forgot about it but the fine is in no way ridiculous- people need books for assignments and the books have to be there.
    Just be more careful next time:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Haha, I just got hit with some karma for my arrogance above! I recieved a €3 library fine for late books this morning. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Leftbelle

Woops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

Well the day I took it out was at 2pm. I had to hand in an essay at 3pm so i was entitled to the book till 6pm. I had to look up one page for referencing and I rushed up to submit the essay. I was happy to get it in i just forget to hand it back. Still pissed off. 7 Euro is riduclous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

7 Euro is riduclous.

It isn't. There's plenty of justification in the thread, I'm inlcined to agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

you'd lose 7 euro in small change in a month..... spilled milk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I still owe that library €6.50, they're never getting it :D I was tempted to just keep the book as well but decided not to go that far. €7 for a day is high, but justified, waiting for books to be returned to open reserve is bad enough when you know you only have to wait a few hours.

I still owe that library €6.50, they're never getting it :D I was tempted to just keep the book as well but decided not to go that far. €7 for a day is high, but justified, waiting for books to be returned to open reserve is bad enough when you know you only have to wait a few hours.

In that case the library could rake in thousands from graduates. Shouldn't be allowed to graduate unless they pay fines!

In that case the library could rake in thousands from graduates. Shouldn't be allowed to graduate unless they pay fines!

I already had, your student card still works til it runs out at the end of September, mwahaha. I don't think you are allowed graduate if you have fines, seem to remember reading that here at some point.

I already had, your student card still works til it runs out at the end of September, mwahaha. I don't think you are allowed graduate if you have fines, seem to remember reading that here at some point.

I'm reporting you! They'll get them bucks back offa ya.

I'm reporting you! They'll get them bucks back offa ya.

I'll go to jail first! They must have taken hundreds of euro off me while I was there, some people might say that was my fault though I suppose. Plus for the last two years I was living three minutes away from the library, it's ridiculous the amount of fines I racked up! Anyways, report me and I'll bate you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Im with ya Reacher. Its because of people like Electro~bitch that UCC is in the state it is....nothing to do with the college management :P

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

Couple of questions there lads. I forgot to hand in a book by a day and I was fined 50 cent. Does this go up? And if a book is due at 16-12 does it matter what time its in as long as its in on that day?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Couple of questions there lads. I forgot to hand in a book by a day and I was fined 50 cent. Does this go up? And if a book is due at 16-12 does it matter what time its in as long as its in on that day?

From the library website
    Overdue standard and short loan books are billed at a rate of 50¢ per day per book, up to a maximum of €30 per item. Students who have fines of over €3 on their library account are prevented from borrowing.

If an item is overdue for more than 3 days the system automatically generates a replacement fee of €60, this reverts to 50¢ per day once the item is returned

As far as I know - once it is returned on the day, it is okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 daniel.ocarroll

if you go over a certain period of lateness I think they just assume that you've lost the book and charge you accordingly..happened me once or twice in first year.

they're fairly annoying alright, but then again it's your stupidity for not getting the books back in time! I know that 8/10 times I take books out of the library I get a fine hence I dont take books out a lot (which isn't a very smart idea!). The City library's late fines are considerably less expensive if I remember correctly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Do you pay the fines at the main desk?

• Advertisement

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 daniel.ocarroll

Yeah, and I think they only accept cash (I had laser card sized fines once or twice...)

Advertisement