Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are Renault cars ok

Options
  • 05-11-2010 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

My elderly parents want to purchase a new Renault Scenic but they have been told by a few people that they are not a great brand for reliability, parts etc.

They just like the look of the car, the height, the space etc and do small millage (their current 07 Ford Fusion has 25,000km)

Looking for a mixture of positive, negative and reasons why if you can please

Thanks

Fergal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

General opinion is that some of the older models had issues, the newer ones, so far, seem to be much better built.

Now await the pub talk flood of never buying a Renault etc etc etc. Take a look at Parkers.co.uk which will give a fact based opinion on each model you may be looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The latest Renaults are far better than those of old. Renault put up their hands in relation to issues with previous gen Meganes and Scenics and have seemingly invested heavily in improving quality and reliability. Time will tell but already the current Megane is proving to be very reliable. I would have no qualms about buying a new one and with a 5 year warranty available what more could want for peace of mind.

The dealer network is a bit threadbare (in Dublin anyway) and servicing is not cheap, parts (from Renault) can also be expensive.

There is no doubt that they will find the new Scenic leagues ahead of their old Fusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I have a new Grande Megane since last Sept and I think they are great. The 1.5 diesel has good mid range power although I do occasionally miss my 2lt Opel Omega especially for motorway driving.

However that said it is great to keep passing garages . Getting 60mpg rather than 21mpg. No problems to date and I did take out the extra 2years warranty just in case !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Renault shot themselves in both feet with the Laguna II and the Megane introduced in 2002/2003. These were rushed into production with a lot of new parts/gizmos and unfortunately a lot of things went wrong.

The Laguna II from mid '05 was pretty sorted and Renault admitted they got it wrong but a bad rep can take a while to get rid of.

I've a 1997 laguna with 200,000 miles and its still going perfectly and I'd have no problem buying a new model Renault....wouldn't get an early Laguna II though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've a '05 Megane hatch and it is a piece of junk. Saying that, my previous Megane gave me 9 years and 150,000 trouble free miles.

My wife has an '06 Grand Scenic and it has had some minor faults with the automatic lights that came on and drained the battery but nowhere near as bad as the faults on my Megane. Her Scenic has a 1.6 petrol engine that wouldn't pull you out of bed so the diesel is the much better option. One query is why do they want a people carrier? Do they want the elevated driving position? If so, the Nissan Quashqai is another option and has the same 1.5 diesel engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

the last 2 megans i have had, have had to have the window motor replaced.2004 and 2007 (did it myself)
    the scenic also had this fault. 2003,
    last month the motor on the heater went. another 350 :( . (hate to know what a Renault garage would charge)

all in all I would recommend one, comfortable and safe..

Advertisement