Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name change needed?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

An raibh aithne ar aon duine mà do sloinne as gaelige is also a legal name? I heard that it's legal to use your name in either english or irish, so that you dont have to change it if you start using your irish one. also, anyone know what happens if your name is hard to translare because its not common or seen as traditionally irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Your name In Irish is not seen as a different name, it is the Irish version of the same name, If you want to Change your name to a different name you need a deed poll, however this is not needed for changing your name to Irish.
    If you want to start using your Irish name then you can, but to avoid confusion it is best to Either change your name completely, ie on all your documents, or not at all.

What is the name you need translated, Im sure someone here will be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

I'm in the process of doing so at the moment. First thing to do is change it on your Driver's liscense or passport so that way you have a legal government document which you can then use to justify to banks, library's etc. that you're different name useage is legit. Also, run with it with things such as Online Networking & Emails to avoid confusion with your peers. One thing I've learned is don't stress to people you know that you're adapting the Irish form as it tends to lead to questioning and slagging to a minor degree, they'll overtime accept it subconsciencely when they see it on your Facebook etc.
    I'd suggest using your Irish Language Postal address too as it emphasises your wish to adapt an Irish Language Identity. Do a few test runs with your Postman by applying for ****ty online send outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eivawahu

Ah thanks for the replies that helps majorly!The name i'm looking to translate is Gregg, which when i was in primary school they usually just left alone but where my dad is from they make it de Creag or something like that. Anyone any ideas how its done officially? I heard that you have to get the authorities to recognise that the name you use is officially the translation, so anyone know how that would work with a name like mine?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

I don't think a translation check is done.. Its believed that the Irish name you're planning on using is indeed the Irish varient. When I asked to use mine on my liscense when I applied, I insisted that it is my right to use my name as gaeilge and that the one I was suggesting is correct. I just filled out the form as gaeilge so they were convinced. However, I know for the passport, you usually need to prove its useage for the past 2 years so definatly try and get it on the liscense first.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

De Creag is the Irish for Craig.
    I think deise go deo and Toyota Avensis give advice worth following here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Driseog

eivawahu wrote: »
    Ah thanks for the replies that helps majorly!The name i'm looking to translate is Gregg, which when i was in primary school they usually just left alone but where my dad is from they make it de Creag or something like that. Anyone any ideas how its done officially? I heard that you have to get the authorities to recognise that the name you use is officially the translation, so anyone know how that would work with a name like mine?

Thanks!

According to MacLysaght's Surnames of Ireland, Gregg if connected with the 6 Counties can be of both English and Scottish plantation origin.

If it was changed from Cregg, then that was a Roscommon variant of the name Craig, which was of Scottish origin also. No Irish translations for any of those names given in the book.

Gregg and Craig seem to be two different names according to MacLysaght. Gregg (of Scottish origin) seems to come from MacGregor so maybe you could work a translation around that if it suited....might have a Scots Gaelic spelling.

De Creag could be right but sounds too Norman if you are of Scottish ancestry....may be suitable if you think your ancestors hailed from England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I couldent find Gregg, This was the closest I could find.

Mac Gregan - Mag Riagáin
    Gregan - Ó Gréacháin
    Mac Gregor - Mac Griogair
    Gregory - Mac Gréagair
    Gregory - Gréagóir

Does Mac Lysaght give de Creag as of Norman origin?
    Creig (Irish) and Creag (Scottish) both mean rocky precipice and translate as Craig. As already mentioned Gregg is likely from the Gregory or Mac Gregor lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Driseog

Does Mac Lysaght give de Creag as of Norman origin?
    Creig (Irish) and Creag (Scottish) both mean rocky precipice and translate as Craig. As already mentioned Gregg is likely from the Gregory or Mac Gregor lines.

No, the name De Creag is not used in MacLysaght's book at all but names with De seem to be only of Norman origin like De Brún and De Paor.

If the Creag part is Gaelic (either Irish or Scottish) then it's unlikely De would proceed it. Funnily enough, MacLysaght says that le should be used instead of de for a proper Irish translation.

He gives no translation for Craig but says it is of both Scottish and English origin. That means that the Scots Gaelic translation would work if it is from the former and I suppose it's not impossible that the English version could have Norman origins.

Great book but there are a lot of names, especially from the plantations, that he gives only minimal information on. Be cool if he did the origins of those names in their respective countries as well.

I see though from looking at Wiki that the Scots Gaelic is as you say and the Irish version could even be carraig. That opens up another can of worms altogether with the name Carrig because MacLysaght says it could come from the Irish name MacConcharraigh or the Norman version of Carrick...de Carraig. What's that saying about too much information being dangerous....I'm confusing myself with this one!

Like the branches of a tree, Driseog, they can and do head off in all directions. There's not much between Carraig and Creag, except that Carraig is an ordinary rock and the other is a steep rugged rock...I wonder did the original clans make such a distinction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

I wonder if I could ask someone who has that book to look up Ballinger and Gauckwin (Gacquin) for me please?
    These are my grandparents' names and they came from Galway. From what research I've done they may be Norman in origin.

Advertisement