Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish women offensive ?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I've seen a lot of threads on this forum giving out about Irish women. Heard loads of blokes saying that foreign women are more open and receptive. Maybe, Irish women are more receptive when they're abroad. Who knows?

What I don't like though, is this message that Irish girls are up themselves or a bit snotty, I've been a screaming alcoholic in this town for 25 years and I could count on the fingers of one hand how often any bunch of girls/women have been rude to me.

Am I just lucky not to have ever bumped into Rosanna Davidson?

I don't think Irish girls are mean.

Discuss/disgust

AMC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

I grew up in the States and moved to Ireland when I was 16. I went back to the U.S. for a few years in my early 20s and I can say from experience that Irish girls are generally more socially inhibited than American girls. I can have a chat/flirt with a girl anywhere in the States but if I try chatting up an Irish girl outside of the pub I get dirty looks. Since I don't drink anymore I don't go to the pubs so my chances of finding an Irish girl are very limited. That's my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'll show you offensive.

(PS I'm not Irish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

I've been a screaming alcoholic in this town for 25 years and I could count on the fingers of one hand how often any bunch of girls/women have been rude to me.

AMC

ER.. maybe you live in a rural town(sic) with only a handfull of women??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Irish girls just arent that friendly. They're very quiet unless drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

This thread is going to end badly.

Sexism will be brought up, and rightly so tbh.

OP to answer your question, some of them are, some of them aren't.

Same as men and women across the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

jugger0 wrote: »
    Irish girls just arent that friendly. They're very quiet unless drunk.
    Don't take offense, but have you ever thought of the possibility that maybe it is you that is quiet?

Most of the girls I know are as mad as fúck sober, and always good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Don't take offense, but have you ever thought of the possibility that maybe it is you that is quiet?

Irish girls are great once you get to know them (or they get to know you). This is specifically about meeting a stranger and Irish girls take more time to open up. A lot of girls I've tried chatting to just look at me like I've got three heads so I just walk away. I didn't have this problem in the U.S., where girls are just as likely to walk up to a guy and start chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

No offence taken, but no i wouldnt be that quiet. When i was in America girls would just come up to me and start chatting, sober and all! its mad like... In Ireland thats never happened only in nightclubs when drink was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Alot of Irish girls either won't take or see right through the B.S. alot of guys think is funny/charming. I mean as an opener please don't ask someone what a better word for a vagina is or how big her friends boobs are?? :rolleyes:

Being normal is perfectly acceptable when your trying to chat someone up lads!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I've been a screaming alcoholic in this town for 25 years and I could count on the fingers of one hand how often any bunch of girls/women have been rude to me.

i think thats the problem right there man ;).......

Weather you know this or not dudes talk **** when there/we're drunk, lots of people do, maybe not get so drunk and women could be more receptive.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,940 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dont forget the systematic Catholicism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Are Irish women offensive ?
    Can't speak for all Irish women, but I know I am (Been in martial arts since pre-teen). :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Overheal wrote: »

Do American guys come out with this stuff?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,940 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

K-9 wrote: »
    Do American guys come out with this stuff?
    ...apparently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

I don't think Irish women are offensive, but in my experience, it's definitely a lot harder to approach an Irish woman- and I mean just to talk, not chat up.

In my experience, just saying hello and asking people questions like where they're from etc. tends to start conversations pretty well no matter where I am... As long as it's outside of Ireland. Most Irish women I try to speak to tend to be quite stand offish.

This probably has 2 good reasons though:

Irish guys are a*seholes a lot of the time, and I've seen my mates rip it out of girls for no reason at all. So I can understand a girl being cautious when a random guy says hello.

Irish society is generally more conservative than, say, American society. Most people wouldn't say hello to people they pass on the street, even if they pass them every day, and to become friends with someone, you usually have to know someone they know. There have been people in my course who for 4 years we haven't spoken a word to each other, but as soon as we are introduced by a friend, we both talk about being in the course together. This is just the way we interact socially.

Having understood the reasoning behind it, however, it can still be frustrating, especially when you're simply trying to be outgoing and start conversations with people. (This happens to me a lot when I go out with single friends and I'm the 'spare' one, so I have to make my own fun while they go chatting people up.)

Ps. offensive is definitely the wrong word. When you pass the initial difficulty I often find Irish women to be very warm and very interesting. And although they're less approachable than Americans, it's so much easier to have an actual conversation with an Irish girl once you do start talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

flanum wrote: »
    ER.. maybe you live in a rural town(sic) with only a handfull of women??

I live in Dublin. Some people call it a city, but I've only ever been called the town drunk.

OP to answer your question, some of them are, some of them aren't.

Same as men and women across the world.

Aah chief. Be fair. I'm not sexist, and to quote my thread title without the context of the body of my post is a bit disingenuous don't you think?

i think thats the problem right there man ;).......

Weather you know this or not dudes talk **** when there/we're drunk, lots of people do, maybe not get so drunk and women could be more receptive.....

:confused:

Overheal wrote: »

That's what I said to her, but she still won't wear the uniform; even on Halloween.:(

Can't speak for all Irish women, but I know I am (Been in martial arts since pre-teen). :cool:

Yeah? Well Katie Taylor is a friend of mine, and if you keep picking on me, I'm gonna call her, y' big bully.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Are *insert country here* girls offensive?

Could be any board you post on mate, and you'd get roughly the same answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Offensive to the eyes? Nostrils? Ears?

Or just all the sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I have researched the answer to your question since you posted it and have the definitive answer.

There are not offensive and they all have lovely bottoms.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What did he say about my mama?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement