Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchip cat flap

Options
  • 05-11-2010 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

A rep came into our local vets this morning whilst I was there, selling these things. Basically a cat flap - and dog flaps will be available early next year - that has your cats' microchip number programmed into it, so that only your cat(s) can get in and out. Similar to the magnetic collars ones, but your cat doesn't need to wear a collar, and obviously only your cats can use it, not any cat with a magnet. They are a bit pricey, but I'd say they'd be well worth it if you have a problem with local cats coming into your house. The rep said they can be put into door, walls and glass.

http://www.sureflap.co.uk/

I think they've been featured on TV3 as well, with Pete the Vet. As they're going around the local vets, you could probably get it in a vet or pet shop instead of having it shipped from the UK.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Interesting, especially since it allows for more than one microchip number to be programmed in. But definitely on the pricey side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

If you live in an area with an average number of cats around who pillage your cats food an average number of times how many years does this product take to pay off?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's a brilliant idea but it doesn't avoid the common problem where the stray closely follows your cat before the flap has locked closed. Then you end up with a distressed stray who can't get out :eek:

Not funny.

Infracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I know a couple of people in the uk using them and they say they're great things.
    I have tried the magnetic ones and had the problem discodog mentioned, but I solved that by getting a dog (well two dogs):D
    Its a brave cat that tries to come in my catflap after my cats.:p
    Can't see the point of a dog one though:confused: I mean whats the chance of a stray dog getting into your back garden (i assume a fenced garden at least) and using your dog flap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Sounds like a good idea alright. I'm still looking for a jigsaw to install the cat flap right now!

serenacat wrote: »
    Sounds like a good idea alright. I'm still looking for a jigsaw to install the cat flap right now!

Try carboot sales, they usually have cheap tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Teach your cat to open the cat flap from the outside instead - much cheaper!

My Oskar (who kept losing his infra red cat tag until I refused to buy him any more and he was forced to use his brain!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89NK4OvmKs

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Blueprint wrote: »
    Teach your cat to open the cat flap from the outside instead - much cheaper!

My Oskar (who kept losing his infra red cat tag until I refused to buy him any more and he was forced to use his brain!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89NK4OvmKs

how did do you that? that cat is smarter than me

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I have this cat flap- I got it a couple of years ago. I have 3 cats who would use an ordinary cat flap to come and go but I'm living in the country and my neighbour has at least 9/10 cats and I would often get up in the morning to find one of them sitting on my sofa!! As much as I love cats I don't want strange cats in my home! Plus I didn't like my cats being stressed finding strange cats in their home.
    So I got the vet (who had never heard of this cat flap) to insert a microchip under each of my cats skin, then my husband took out the regular cat flap, installed the electronic one, then programmed it to only allow my 3 cats in and out of it and bobs your uncle, no more strange cats in my house! Between buying it and microchipping the cats it is expensive but in my opinion totally worth it,my cats feel safe and secure in there own environment, I'd highly recommend it.

• Advertisement

serenacat wrote: »
    how did do you that? that cat is smarter than me

He picked it up himself as there was a bit he could get his claw in. When we changed that IR cat flap for a magnetic model without a handy claw hook (his sister managed to pick up self opening by watching him, but his mother is a bit too dignified), I glued a cable tie post to the outside of the flap so he could still get in. Works a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

We bought a microchip cat flap thinking it would solve our problem of a stray tom coming in a spraying all over the place. Spent €100+ on it. All our cats were microchipped anyway so no extra cost there. Anyway, it didn't work. We were not able to program in one of our cats. The flap just didn't recognise he even had a chip. We checked all their microchips compatibility so it wasn't that. We reckon his microchip must have migrated from it's original spot around his neck, apparently this is quite common.
    So basically we now have a very expensive normal cat flap. :o As it turns out we have since cat proofed all our outdoor area anyway, so no longer have a problem with strays.
    @ Blueprint, our cat Oscar can do that very trick as well. We sometimes lock them outdoors on nice days (like today) and Oscar was mysteriously appearing indoors. Turns out he was pulling the flap open. We now have to block it with a garden chair. :rolleyes:

Oscars are smart cats! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a place to buy a microchip cat flap? I see them on ZooPlus for about 150 euro. Is this a standard price? Also would they be compatible for the microchip codes we have in Ireland?
    There are only two models on ZooPlus one big one and one small one.

We already have a normal cat flap but we have the same issue, strange cats coming into our house, stealing the food and peeing on our furniture. So we badly need to get a microchipped one. Our cat won't wear a collar so we can't get the ones that open with a chip on the collar.

We have a glass door and already got the whole pane replaced to get the standard cat flap installed. (We didn't foresee strange cats coming into our house) So we were hoping to find a cat flap the same size as we have now so we won't have replace yet another pane of glass (another €250)

Has anyone done this? We need a cat flap for the larger cat as out cat is a wee bit chubby :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Just a quick update on this. I got a microchip cat flap from zooplus (on sale!!) and I got the extension. This meant it would fit into the hole already in glass door. I installed this last week and though our cat was wary at first he still went out it. He wouldn't come in the cat flap (he is a big scaredy cat!) but we didn't push him. Last night was the first night it rained and surprisingly he figured it out :-D

Can't recommend it enough. Already seen a saving on amount of food consumed. Other cats were eating it all. My cat needs to be put on a diet now so will be easier to monitor what he is eating now.

Best purchase ever I have to say!!!

Advertisement