Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergraduate Psychology

Options
  • 05-11-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

So i'm interested in doing Psychology next year in college, but haven't decided which college to put no.1 on my cao. Is there a college that provides a better course overall? I would love to go to NUIG, but i noticed that it's only a 3 year course, whereas most others (UCD,UL,TCD) are all four years. Is this any difference?

Also, why is Psychology done as an Arts degree, with three other subjects for first year in some colleges? (NUIG, for example). What use are three other subjects if you only study them for one year?

Final question, is there a difference between a BA Psychology and a BSc? Is one better than the other? Do you have an advantage over someone with a BA if you have a BSc?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

montown wrote: »
    So i'm interested in doing Psychology next year in college, but haven't decided which college to put no.1 on my cao. Is there a college that provides a better course overall? I would love to go to NUIG, but i noticed that it's only a 3 year course, whereas most others (UCD,UL,TCD) are all four years. Is this any difference?

Also, why is Psychology done as an Arts degree, with three other subjects for first year in some colleges? (NUIG, for example). What use are three other subjects if you only study them for one year?

Final question, is there a difference between a BA Psychology and a BSc? Is one better than the other? Do you have an advantage over someone with a BA if you have a BSc?

I'd recommend you post this question in the Psychology forum, you might get answers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Caoi!

Hi,

Yes psychology can be taken as an arts subject but if you want to eventually be a psychologist your best route is to do a psychology degree not psychology through arts.

I just graduated from University of Limerick with a degree in Psychology and Sociology, and they now offer a BSc in Psychology also. There is no major difference between a B.A Psychology and a BSc in Psychology although it is said that a BSc can 'look better'. Recently Psychology and Sociology was changed from a B.A to a BSc although the course content has not majorly changed, which will show just how little difference there is between the two.

So the main question, where to study... I chose U.L as it is the only place psychology has incorporated work experience, and obviously to come out with experience on your CV is invaluable, aswell as a way to make contacts. Also there is a study abroad placement on the course, a fab experience! So I would encourage you to look at what is actually entailed, as no other courses have the work experience U.L offer. Anything else I can help with?

Advertisement