Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government only used half of education capital budget

Options
  • 04-11-2010 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this tread was posted already and apologies for posting a link as im just my phone but just Google it.

The Department of Education has over three hundred million left. Im just wondering will the six billion actually be six billion or is this whole thing just a cop out and we are being led by spin doctors.

P.s. I think ill have to change my signature to 'rant over'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭who what when

Whats the problem?
    I would have thought not spending money is a good thing when we dont have any!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

And they'll let students fight with the riot squad in the name of education cuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Whats the problem?
    I would have thought not spending money is a good thing when we dont have any!

My point is that they said they would invest x amount because of how important it is and then they only spend half of it. Its not a case that theres nothing there for them to build.

One of my main issues though is that we are suppose to be fixed with six billion worth of cuts but if they dont spend half of what that say they will sure isnt that more cuts?

Id say something if it was roads or something, sure whats an extra billion here and there, but the fact that its our of the school building budget is just rubbish.

But ya I guess its a saving and students are used to be taught in rented prefabs at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If they can keep the kids thick through cutting education, they will create potential FF voters in the future.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

building costs are much cheaper now. So that would explain a large percentage of it. Not wasting money on consultants and other areas will make up the remainder of the budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

ted1 wrote: »
    building costs are much cheaper now. So that would explain a large percentage of it. Not wasting money on consultants and other areas will make up the remainder of the budget.

I imagine the consultants were well paid from what was spent already.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

The mans got two points...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

They only used half ??????

Why, that means they have 70% left to spend !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

They could use the money to build more schools/improve school facilities. That would create more jobs. No?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

darragh16 wrote: »
    They could use the money to build more schools/improve school facilities. That would create more jobs. No?

That was sort of my main point. They probably need the money for john o Donoghues expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jibbs

If a government department only spends 60% of its yearly budget, it doesn't get to spend the other 40% the next year. So, the department of education has just taken a 300 million retrospective cut without it technically being part of the budget cuts. Creative accounting/Finna Fail snakery at its finest.

Advertisement