Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Career Advice Required!

Options
  • 04-11-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey,

I am looking for some advice with my career.

I graduated in 2009 from Engineering. I September 2009 I started to work voluntarily in a consultancy in Dublin in order to gain some experience (Sept 2009-March 2009), so that it might help me to get a full time job. Fortunately it paid off and I have been working in London since March till present.

I am working in a structural engineering consultancy, however recently I have been feeling abit disillusioned with the work. I sort of feel that I dont really get any satisfaction, or sense of improving the world from just designing columns, slabs etc etc. It has also is starting to affect another important aspect of my life which is sport outside of work, which has always been very important to me. The work I find is extremely stressful as well with the amount I am expected to do.

In the company where I work, my boss tries to work you as hard as possible, and I feel that no matter how hard I worked I would never be offered more money unless I went looking for it. I understand the times we are living in, but this is also a long term impression which I have. I think that he is more concerned about his own gains rather than mine, and I can see this in his work and attitude trying to do everything as cheaply as possbile (which sometimes scares me professionally).

Sometimes I feel that I havnt been working long enough to give up on engineering just yet, but I have 15 months experience under my belt now and can pretty much see my future mapped out in engineering. Also the pay in engineering isnt great, and there are other things which would interest myself. The only optimistic thing is that I always have seen myself moving in Australia to work and live there (having previously studied there), and engineering is one career which offers this opportunity to myself.

Anyways I would love to hear anyones two cents on the matter as I am in abit of a rut and looking to bounce some ideas about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Hmm.

Well I remember being told in college that if we were going into engineering for the money, we were in the wrong job. That was around 2003 (not centuries ago!!)

Having said that, it's a degree that can be used to get you into another career, maybe financial based ones that could be more lucrative.

As for the design side of things - there are many areas of engineering outside structural, but for many civil engineers, structural is the be all and end all. Which is a bit untrue. Have you any interest in getting into Geotechs or renewable energy?

I think - particularly in Ireland now - that unless you happen to be lucky enough to get involved in the big jobs, the Aviva Stadiums, the O2's (of which there are no more here!), you might find the design side a bit monotonous. My experience is site based, and on that, it's a stressful industry. Everything about it is stressful, regardless of what side of it you work on. That will probably not change regardless of where you are.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Fair play to you on your get up and go in working for a company voluntarily. That in itself looks good on your CV by the way. Sorry I haven't been more specific, I'm just bouncing back a few thoughts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

Ah, it sounds so familiar,

Every engineer goes through what your going through. it's sort of a coming of age thing.

Let me sumerise it for you.

Employer see new grad and tries to squeeze him/her for all he/she is worth.
    Employee thinks this is the way it has to be as I'm just a grad. Eventually employee reachs their limit, and throw their toys out of the pram and start making demands (more pay/less work etc).
    Employer says no way.
    Employee says I'll walk.
    Employer gives in (if your worth it).

You don't need to change career, just start making some demands.

This is good for everbody involved.
    Employer gets a more motivated and productive employee.
    Employee is happier

So go break some eggs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Well that I nice way of putting it... And it is true... I know that they used to do that specially with graduates when the times were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

thanks for the advice... have lots of thoughts to chew at the minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Similar boat here, different industry but same idea. Not too pushed about the money at this stage if the work was half enjoyable or I could see a way of getting into something better, but at the minute it looks like I might end up going backwards from here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

snack_ie wrote: »
    I am working in a structural engineering consultancy, however recently I have been feeling abit disillusioned with the work. I sort of feel that I dont really get any satisfaction, or sense of improving the world from just designing columns, slabs etc etc. It has also is starting to affect another important aspect of my life which is sport outside of work, which has always been very important to me. The work I find is extremely stressful as well with the amount I am expected to do.

In the company where I work, my boss tries to work you as hard as possible, and I feel that no matter how hard I worked I would never be offered more money unless I went looking for it. I understand the times we are living in, but this is also a long term impression which I have. I think that he is more concerned about his own gains rather than mine, and I can see this in his work and attitude trying to do everything as cheaply as possbile (which sometimes scares me professionally).

Sometimes I feel that I havnt been working long enough to give up on engineering just yet, but I have 15 months experience under my belt now and can pretty much see my future mapped out in engineering. Also the pay in engineering isnt great, and there are other things which would interest myself. The only optimistic thing is that I always have seen myself moving in Australia to work and live there (having previously studied there), and engineering is one career which offers this opportunity to myself.

Your experience is very typical of new grads, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. At this stage you've probably learned enough to be useful and your boss recognises this, hence he's piling the work on. If the workload is overly affecting your home life (late nights, weekends etc.) you need to be assertive and discuss with your boss, otherwise it'll keep coming.

With respect, a lot of your original post sounds a bit naive. Most engineering companies are hard, ruthless places (especially in a recession), so low pay, stress and dubious practice isn't unusual, especially if you're just starting out. You have a professional obligation to do quality work, but you need to recognise the the massive jump between college theory and work realities. I don't want to sound too negative (engineering is still a very rewarding career), but that's how the system works.
    Mr Marri wrote: »
    Every engineer goes through what your going through. it's sort of a coming of age thing.

Exactly.

Advertisement