Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if I can't afford college?

Options
  • 04-11-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I'm doing my leaving cert this year and we all these new registration fee I'm worried I won't be able to afford to go to college.:(
    What do you to if you can go to college seeing as the irish and maths leaving cert courses are changing next year you would have twice the work to do plus I don't think I could deal with all that strees again enxt year. So what do you do? Do you stay at home? Go back to school? Find a job for the future??
    Is anyone else in the same position as me? (I'm sure they're plenty)
    Do you thinik they'll actually go through with the increase in fees?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I'm doing my leaving cert this year and we all these new registration fee I'm worried I won't be able to afford to go to college.:(
    What do you to if you can go to college seeing as the irish and maths leaving cert courses are changing next year you would have twice the work to do plus I don't think I could deal with all that strees again enxt year. So what do you do? Do you stay at home? Go back to school? Find a job for the future??
    Is anyone else in the same position as me? (I'm sure they're plenty)
    Do you thinik they'll actually go through with the increase in fees?:confused:

Looks like your going to be paying increased registration fee's I'm afraid. Born a few years too late. The country is in such a bad state that students will likely be hit. You won't have to pay the tuition fee's (about €4500) but you will have to pay the €1500-3000 in. reg fee's. Fee's are increasing in places across Europe and you'd have to pay fee's in them countries.

About Irish and Maths; It doesn't matter if the courses are changing. You will still be able to qualify for college once you meet the required standards (CAO pts etc.)

If I were you, continue hard work and get the points you need for your prefered course. If you can pick up a part time job, especially over the summer. Try to apply for the grant next year. Everyone says they're going to Oz, but you'd need a degree to make anything for yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

If you get the grant you won't have to pay reg fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SkinnyGenes

I didn't think you were alloweed to pay for the reg. fees with your grant. I am entitled to a grant but I thought it was just for books, accomodation, etc.

Whatever amount of grant you are entitled to, your registration fees are also paid on top of that.
    Also, yes the grant is supposed to be for books, accommodation etc. but there are no rules or anything saying you can't spend it on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Have you considered Scotland? Fees there are free for all non-UK EU students. The accomodation and living expenses are also generally cheaper than here (well most places here anyway). The only major extra cost is travelling back here, but you can get good prices if you book early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I didn't think you were alloweed to pay for the reg. fees with your grant. I am entitled to a grant but I thought it was just for books, accomodation, etc.

You don't pay them - if you qualify for the grant the reg fee is covered also
    Equium wrote: »
    Have you considered Scotland? Fees there are free for all non-UK EU students. The accomodation and living expenses are also generally cheaper than here (well most places here anyway). The only major extra cost is travelling back here, but you can get good prices if you book early.

I thought that wasn't the case any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Still is as far as I know. I intended on going there this year and it was going to be free for me. You have to apply for the fees to be paid though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Leftbelle

Simple answer- get vocal.
    Go to tellyourtd.com, phone your local TDs and write them letters, get involved with your local fees protest (colleges are organising individual protests in the coming weeks), write letters to newspapers, phone Joe Duffy!
    Don't let the government compromise your right to education because of debt that is not your fault and should not be your responsibility to clear.
    Beyond that, do apply for the grant and look into the student assistance fund and most of all- try not to worry TOO much as you still have your Leaving Cert to do and that's stressful enough.
    Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

You don't pay them - if you qualify for the grant the reg fee is covered also

scotland isn't part of the English's new fee system, thankfully for the foreseen future. Fees are still free in scotland, literally. NO registration fees. If Im right I think first time undergrads who qualify for the grant at home can still receive their county council grant while studying in the scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eva1810

I'm almost finished my first year of college on a level 8 course. I was entitled to the full maintenance grant this year. The problem is, I don't like the course and want to change to a different course this September, but probably won't be able to afford tuition fees and the registration fee together. I've been told i won't be entitled to a student grant because I'm not a first time undergraduate. Is this true and is there anybody who got a grant who wasn't a first time undergrad?

• Advertisement

Eva1810 wrote: »
    I'm almost finished my first year of college on a level 8 course. I was entitled to the full maintenance grant this year. The problem is, I don't like the course and want to change to a different course this September, but probably won't be able to afford tuition fees and the registration fee together. I've been told i won't be entitled to a student grant because I'm not a first time undergraduate. Is this true and is there anybody who got a grant who wasn't a first time undergrad?

You won't get a grant. I did what you want to do - I left a course after 1 year and started a new one. I had to pay full fees for 1st year and wasn't entitled to a grant, as I had already received at grant for 1st year.

Ok thanks

Were you entitled to a grant from second year onward though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

seeing as the irish and maths leaving cert courses are changing next year you would have twice the work to do
    Get the points this year, and you don't have to repeat the leaving cert. If you get a college offer, you can always accept and defer or re-apply through CAO next year with this year's results.

This information is 20 years out of date btw. Talk to your career guidance teacher (or any teacher), they can advise you on the options.

Yeah you'll get it for every other year, just not 1st year, as you've already claimed a grant for 1st year

Ok thanks that's a relief :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You do realise it's not "now or never"? :confused:
    Take a year or two off, work and save, go to college then

You're assessed as usual once you haven't done that year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Unitedfinal08

Like the user above I have done first year of an undergraduate degree, but due to changing personal circumstances I took a gap year and am now looking at doing a different course. Supposedly the fees will be in and around 6000, which I am unable to afford even with a 12 hour part time contract which I use for bills. I was wondering is there anyway possible to receive a grant of any type to go back? suggestions much needed. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Like what another user said, work for the year. You'll be finacially better off and a lot more mature going into college. Plus you'll have a lot more time to decide on a course that's right for you. Focus on doing as well as you possibly can in your LC for the next few months, that way you'll have many options open to you after you take a year out.

I know it's hard to get a job but there are some businesses and restaurants still taking on people. If you did get a job you could work part time in your first year of college also.

Just because you can't afford it now doesn't mean you'll never go. If you save the money up yourself you'll appreciate college all the more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 jonjoshelvey

Yeah you'll get it for every other year, just not 1st year, as you've already claimed a grant for 1st year

Advertisement