Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Replacing an Oil Boiler

Options
  • 04-11-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Oil fired central heating and my 27 year old boiler has packed in according to the repair man.

He is talking of 2,300 supply and fit to rip the current boiler out and replace with nice shiny new one.

Wondering if this is decent price or over the top.

House is 4 bed detached and very well insulated. We typically turn on central heating from early Oct to end March only as tends to be warm enough to run without it for other months. And no folks I dont live in Jamaica but near the sea at sunny Bettystown.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

What size is the house, what type of flue is he using, is the system being flushed and treated, boiler commissioned when finished, sounds like a decent price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

urbeau wrote: »
    Oil fired central heating and my 27 year old boiler has packed in according to the repair man.

He is talking of 2,300 supply and fit to rip the current boiler out and replace with nice shiny new one.

Wondering if this is decent price or over the top.

House is 4 bed detached and very well insulated. We typically turn on central heating from early Oct to end March only as tends to be warm enough to run without it for other months. And no folks I dont live in Jamaica but near the sea at sunny Bettystown.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

If replaceing the oil boiler you must: Comply with current Building regs
    (Part J Heat producing Appliances and Part L Energy Efficiency)

Boiler/ fuel requirements :
    Fit High efficiency condensing boiler.
    Clean and flush out system. Refill with inhibitor.
    Fit remote acting fire valves.
    Plumb condensate to suitable gully.
    Boiler must be commisioned by competent person, like OFTEC Engineer ( as per manufactures recommendation).

Upgrade electrics/controls in the house.(To make system and boiler work efficiently.)
    Fit two zone programmer ( or three if central heating can be split )
    Fit thermostats to heating and hot water cylinder.
    fit motorized valves.
    Boiler Interlock.
    Safe issolation for controls and boiler to current ETCI / IEE regs.

So if the contractor has allowed for all the above the price is very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ntpm wrote: »

Boiler must be commisioned by competent person, like OFTEC Engineer ( as per manufactures recommendation).

Upgrade electrics/controls in the house.(To make system and boiler work efficiently.)
    Fit two zone programmer ( or three if central heating can be split )
    Fit thermostats to heating and hot water cylinder.
    fit motorized valves.
    Boiler Interlock.
    Safe issolation for controls and boiler to current ETCI / IEE regs.

So if the contractor has allowed for all the above the price is very good!

Good information, but he has most likely not included all those things in his price.

The price is €2025 + VAT. All this person is getting is a HE boiler fitted and that is all, I suspect.

OP, insist on a remote fire valve and a system flush, adding inhibitor is probably the single most important thing an installer should do.

Depending on the boiler, If it's a firebird, you may need a tiger loop or similar vacuum device to suck oil from tank. the burner is mounted high on the boiler and depending on your tank height, this may be a problem as oil is fed by gravity.

Get detailed quotations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

learning here:)
    Is the following for oil only:
    OP, insist on a remote fire valve

and how does it work?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Carlow52 wrote: »
    learning here:)
    Is the following for oil only:

and how does it work?
    Thanks

Yes for oil only, although you can get them for gas but they are not in the regs.

They are a valve fitted outside the building or case that houses the oil burning appliance. They have a capillary that comes in different lengths, depending how far valve is from appliance. On the end of the capillary is a thermocouple. This is place near the appliance. If it senses heat, a liquid in the thermocouple expands and travels down the capillary shutting the valve down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

Good information, but he has most likely not included all those things in his price.

The price is €2025 + VAT. All this person is getting is a HE boiler fitted and that is all, I suspect.

OP, insist on a remote fire valve and a system flush, adding inhibitor is probably the single most important thing an installer should do.

Depending on the boiler, If it's a firebird, you may need a tiger loop or similar vacuum device to suck oil from tank. the burner is mounted high on the boiler and depending on your tank height, this may be a problem as oil is fed by gravity.

Get detailed quotations.
    And if a tiger loop is fitted, it must be sited externally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

ntpm wrote: »

for doing the above, depending on flue I'd normally charge £1800-£2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Sounds like a good price to me. Thats around what I charge for new oil boiler change. Also the lads are right about the remote acting fire valve, the fusible head type are no longer permitted, also the valve it self should be fiited away from the boiler out side the structure that houses the boiler but in fairnes it's not always possible to do that.

Also the condens drain, if there is no gully (foul not RAIN WATER) near the boiler a soak away will need to be put in.

If possible try considering upgrading the whole system, for the price of just replacing the boiler the extra cost for controling the whole system would be money well spent and you could apply for the grant. If not at least put a thermostat in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carolgal

can anyone recommend a good plumber. I need all the plumbing done, new boiler, radiators, bathrooms, kitchen, renovation. new to galway

• Registered Users Posts: 12 trip adviser

Can anyone advise on the following

How much does cost to replace my old oil boiler with new condensing boiler. I live in Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Can anyone advise on the following

How much does cost to replace my old oil boiler with new condensing boiler. I live in Naas

How long is a piece of string. Including powerflush and grant vortex boiler you’d be looking at roughly 2500-3000 to do it properly. Each job is different so prices will vary

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NickSantigo

Can anybody reccomend somebody to reeplace an oil boiler, powerflush the system, replace hot water cylinder, etc.?
    I am living in East Cork outside of Midleton.
    Thanks

Advertisement