Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you have a phobia??

Options
  • 04-11-2010 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

I have had a phobia of cats and birds ever since childhood. I have lived with the fear of being attacked by a cat or a bird for years. I had always assumed that it was something that I would just have to live and cope with.

I never tried to deal with it due to a lack of knowing what to do, the embarrassment involved etc. (I realise that it's extremely difficult for most to comprehend the fear that I feel in the presence of those (seemingly harmless!) animals, but I can assure you that it is very real to me!)

So I always tried to avoid birds and cats as much as possible and I rarely talked about it, as as I said it's difficult for people without experience of it to understand.

However recently my attitude has changed. I had a sort of epiphany. I realise now that I'm not the only one with these kinds of phobias, and that it's not that uncommon after all. I also realise now that I can take steps to rid myself of this horrible fear.

I would like to hear from people who had genuine phobias and their stories please. What they were and how you beat them! Talking about them is an important step in beating them!

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Laura m

I've a fear of cats as well :eek: I was attacked by a cat on one or two occasions when I was younger and since then i'm just terrified of cats to the point that i'll cross a road to avoid them. I'm also afraid of being in water and not being able to feel the ground beneath me. Literally have panic attacks if i can't feel the ground. Once again though it was a childhood experience that gave me that fear. I've a few other fears as well. Like Fear of heights,feet, weird one I know but i actually can't deal with them at all.

I still have all those fears but instead of avoiding them all completely i put myself in situations where i have no other choice then to face them. Even if it doesn't cure me of them atleast I know i'm not missing out in life because i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

Hi Laura,
    I don't know about the weird cat thing, but the water one is easy.

Being afraid of not feeling the ground when you are in water is called not being able to swim. There is a really easy cure for this. LEARN TO SWIM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Laura m

smugchik wrote: »
    Hi Laura,
    I don't know about the weird cat thing, but the water one is easy.

Being afraid of not feeling the ground when you are in water is called not being able to swim. There is a really easy cure for this. LEARN TO SWIM!

Ahhhhh problem solved. Except I know how to swim, like I said it came from a childhood experience.

Advertisement