Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fake perfume seller door to door in balbriggan

Options
  • 04-11-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Enducate me, I never have had to deal with these pushy pieces of crap in my own country.

Yes, I was scammed not alot.. but omg, gross.

Comments

You must be living near me. Four guys just went around our estate with bags full of perfumes. Had one young lad a few weeks ago doing the same. Lucky this time by the time I'd opened the door (didn't see who it was beforehand) he'd crossed the road, was able to say "No thanks" and have the door locked again before he got back across!

Are the perfumes legit? Either way they are certainly not legitimate sellers. I wonder if we can expect to see more of this as we get close to Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

afterhours wrote: »
    Enducate me, I never have had to deal with these pushy pieces of crap in my own country.

Yes, I was scammed not alot.. but omg, gross.

The same way you deal with a bear at your door in Canada:D Welcome to Ireland your first door scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Stink on the inside

You must be living near me. Four guys just went around our estate with bags full of perfumes. Had one young lad a few weeks ago doing the same. Lucky this time by the time I'd opened the door (didn't see who it was beforehand) he'd crossed the road, was able to say "No thanks" and have the door locked again before he got back across!

Are the perfumes legit? Either way they are certainly not legitimate sellers. I wonder if we can expect to see more of this as we get close to Christmas?

They are most likely fakes, pure sh*te, they can be toxic and the smell will fade from your skin quickly as opposed to a real brand where it can last for hours or longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Sorry to hear you got scammed Afterhours. Best policy is never to buy from door to door sellers around here. I'm constantly telling people at the door that I don't keep money in the house. Remember it's not just the adult scammers; I just answered the door to 2 smallies (about 5 years of age) with a sheet of paper saying "sponsors". :D It's definitely the ankle biters that you need to watch out for.

They are most likely fakes, pure sh*te, they can be toxic and the smell will fade from your skin quickly as opposed to a real brand where it can last for hours or longer
    Just curious, cause my parents owned a pharmacy years back and always had break-ins where the batteries and perfumes were the only things robbed. Never sure if it's fake or stolen with these lot.

Last guy who came round with the perfumes ("I'm up from Wexford for de day, shure all de neighbours knows me") wouldn't go away, told him I "wasn't into perfume" and he looks thoughtful and asks "What are yeh into?" Was gonna ask him if he robbed to specifications.

I never saw these door-to-door conmen outside of Sallynoggin until I moved to Balbriggan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

I'm just to easy going and nice and i was taught manners not to slam doors in peoples faces. but here, i think i may just do that the next freaken time someone rings my door bell or slams open and shut my mail box again.

oh and i put a sign up in my door saying "no solicitors" so hopefully that's a scary sign and will scare them away.

btw, yes the perfume is fake, I threw it out in the bin.. should have known..
    so to anyone living in balbriggan watch out, it's all a scam.

the guy put his products into my doorway and started his pitch when i was finished opening my door.
    he sold me one for how ever much and then he said i can have two more for 35.
    i said " what am i going to do with three bottles of perfume?", i said that i wouldn't pay that much for the two and then he got narky at me and said that i take one of his bottles and he wants ten. His tone changed and his body language did too.. i was afraid.
    so i took it and slammed the door, i knew something was up.

but he did tell me he's going to be back in a month..
    i don't ever answer my door, unless it's for post. i'm waiting for a package and thus is why i answered it..

Corsendonk wrote: »
    The same way you deal with a bear at your door in Canada:D Welcome to Ireland your first door scam.

haha i've been here for almost 3 years!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

thanks for the thumbs up on this scam, forewarned is forearmed as they say!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Had a fella call to my door selling perfume yesterday evening as well. Said no thanks and he was on his way.

He wasn't pushy at all in fairness to him.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Stink on the inside

Sometimes these scum can tell if they are intimidating someone and get pushy. Id like to see them get pushy with someone bigger than them

• Advertisement

Sometimes these scum can tell if they are intimidating someone and get pushy. Id like to see them get pushy with someone bigger than them
    I'm very small and petite and when they get pushy with me they can tell I'm peeved, and leave. They're already breaking the law as it is, they wont actually physically do anything to get attention drawn to themselves.

Unless that is that they happen upon your door selling carpets. You better make sure your back door is locked too. (I grew up "down the country" ;))

I do wonder if it is worth ringing the gardaí and reporting them when they're around. Probably not unless it's a slow crime day down the station. Rang the local gaurds (who we lived right next to) in Shankill a few years ago because there were hoards of women of another nationality begging door-to-door in the estate. They "sent someone round" about five hours later, knocked on our door asking if we had trouble :rolleyes:

Next time I see them I'm going to report them anyway, if enough people do then they might take notice - even just to make these lads known they're not welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

offer them fake fiver for the fake perfume.

I tried to call the police.. but of course this being balbriggan, they never answered the phone the whole 5 times i called.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭Homer

Pay them with monopoly money? Simples :D

If you fancy an orthopedic mattress or a persian rug you're in luck today, there's a woman going around our estate belting on doors trying to offer some of these.... the mind boggles.... saw her get into a white van with a Kildare reg and off round the corner... back door of the van is open (or broken) and indeed there is a matress and a few rugs in there!

Advertisement