Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PA System Recommendation

Options
  • 04-11-2010 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

My band has just started doing cover gigs and weddings etc. so are looking to upgrade our PA. Our budget at the moment is around €800. We already have mics, mic stands and speaker stands. At the moment we only put vocals and acoustic guitar through the PA when playing but with this new purchase we'd be hoping to allow for 2 x vox, 2 mic'd guitar amps, 1 bass DI, and 5 inputs for drum mics.

We would really appreciate any advice as we would be far from experts in this area! Also if anyone is looking to sell we would consider buying second hand.

I was looking at this system from Thomann:

Behringer PMP6000 Powered Mixing Desk

And maybe a pair of these speakers: behringer_eurolive_b215xl.htm

I've no idea if these speakers are even a good match for the desk so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

pluging wrote: »
    Hi,

My band has just started doing cover gigs and weddings etc. so are looking to upgrade our PA. Our budget at the moment is around €800. We already have mics, mic stands and speaker stands. At the moment we only put vocals and acoustic guitar through the PA when playing but with this new purchase we'd be hoping to allow for 2 x vox, 2 mic'd guitar amps, 1 bass DI, and 5 inputs for drum mics.

We would really appreciate any advice as we would be far from experts in this area! Also if anyone is looking to sell we would consider buying second hand.

I was looking at this system from Thomann:

Behringer PMP6000 Powered Mixing Desk

And maybe a pair of these speakers: behringer_eurolive_b215xl.htm

I've no idea if these speakers are even a good match for the desk so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

The only thing I can really comment on is the mixer. The Behringer power mixer you linked to is similar to one I own. They are grand things for the money. Preamps arent too noisy, on board effects are nice to have, the EQ/feedback detection across the master is fantastic and as long as you dont chuck it about the place it should last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i cant speak for the mixer and desk, ive never used them. im not a massive fan of behringer though. I wouldnt mic up a full drum kit without bass bins though. putting a kick drum and bass guitar through those speakers will break the drivers over time, Also it will sound bad. those speakers will be fine for vox, and guitar. keep an eye on adverts.ie under the pro audio section. some very good deals there second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

If ya don't have bins i'd suggest not micing the drums maybe one overhead to pick up some ambience but nothing to heavy yaknow? don't put a bass guitar threw em it'll just sound distorted and ****e to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

If you're doing weddings I would suggest you don't mic the kit at all. For your average wedding all that's needed is a vocal PA, unless you want people to spend the night shouting at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Your at a hard one there :(

800 doesnt really buy even 1/2 of one good speaker nowadays....

most weddings occur in hotel ballrooms so a fair area to deal with and micing guitar amps even is a bit to much for a vocal PA.

I would just aim with that size of PA for a good enough vocal sound as micing anything else is not worth it.

think when you are charging what people charge at weddings you have to sound the part too ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement