Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no tears in the writer ..

Options
  • 04-11-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

no tears in the writer, no tears in the reader ..’ Robert Frost

every time I go in a bookshop and see wall to wall writers asking me to pay 20 odd euro to take time out and read their book, get into bed with them for a while (so to speak), I come over all annoyed. It’s like an imposition .. moreso when they expect me to pay for it. Its My time y'know.

If so many people didn’t write to publish, I’d be just half as annoyed. Maybe a lot of published writers, should remain glorified Diary keepers. Forget the bookshelf – and putting Me and My take on things out there. Just settle for fine-honing an observation, a mood into your notebook on a lucky day and leave it at that.

At least there’d be less dross to shovel through in a bookshop to get to a ‘good’ book. Mercy, please !

Just my tuppence worth

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would this observation not be more suited to your blog?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

Would this observation not be more suited to your blog?

You're probly right. I dont have a blog though.
    And i'm clueless about etiquette. But thanks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Just because you don't want to read someone's book doesn't mean nobody does. There is clearly a willing audience for the majority of published books or they wouldn't be published. Sure I'd prefer to live in a world where Jordan doesn't get paid to have a ghostwriter write her selected life story to sell in Tescos but I don't speak for everyone. And plenty of people would live happily in a world where my favourite books don't exist.

So, every writer sells his/her book well or well enough to warrant the expense of publishing. Well, you know what .. I’m gonna write a book about it. This is truly shocking !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They have Kindles now, so it costs thruppence ha'penny to publish a boko, and you don't even need to go into an annoyingly stocked bookshop to buy them.

• Advertisement

well, I'll be !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

They have Kindles now, so it costs thruppence ha'penny to publish a boko, and you don't even need to go into an annoyingly stocked bookshop to buy them.

With kindles, distribution is cheaper, but the editing process still costs money. And that editing is often the difference between some of the e-rubbish out there, and stuff worth money.

Advertisement