Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewire

Options
  • 04-11-2010 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm wrong but the last time I had a look less non-apple laptops come with firewire than there used to. Even pcmcia seems to be on the decline which seems like the only other way of getting firewire going on a lappy. Is it on the way out? Does anyone know what way this is going? Are we gonna have SATA interfaces in the future :confused::confused:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭fitz

I'd assume the next step will be USB 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

For the target market that most PC's are built to serve Firewire isn't really used for that much. USB had enough of a strangle hold on most things to keep firewire a handy extra rather then a necessary fundamental for a laptop or desktop.

Though my laptop came with a small plug FW port it never worked with my Focusrite interface properly so I had to get an express card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Doge

eoin5 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but the last time I had a look less non-apple laptops come with firewire than there used to. Even pcmcia seems to be on the decline which seems like the only other way of getting firewire going on a lappy. Is it on the way out? Does anyone know what way this is going? Are we gonna have SATA interfaces in the future :confused::confused:

PCMCIA has been replaced with ExpressCard which has a higher bandwidth and has a more narrow size.

Most mid range laptops should have them, so i guess its a case of getting a Firewire Express Card.

The last time i chekced, the "multimedia" type laptops seemed to be the ones which had firewire ports,
    such as the Sony Vaio F-Series, and the Dell Studio Laptops.

Advertisement