Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales Rally GB 2010

Options
  • 03-11-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Anyone heading to Wales this year?? I'm heading over the Thursday night, no tickets got for the rally itself yet so I'm planning on getting some tickets at one of the stages on Friday.
    Any recommendations for the stages on Friday?? Went to Sweet Lamb last year but the spectator point we were at was too far away from the action to enjoy it properly!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Grrrr :shakes fist:
    (I might be a bit jealous)

I would love to go but it ain't going to happen unfortunately. It should be a great rally though. I can see Petter doing really well. He is going to push very hard for a good result. It's that or he will go off :P.

I've never been over to it so I can't help you with stage recommendations.
    Enjoy it..

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Anyone heading to Wales this year?? I'm heading over the Thursday night, no tickets got for the rally itself yet so I'm planning on getting some tickets at one of the stages on Friday.
    Any recommendations for the stages on Friday?? Went to Sweet Lamb last year but the spectator point we were at was too far away from the action to enjoy it properly!! :D

I havent been to a rally in years - you need tickets now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

h3000 wrote: »
    Grrrr :shakes fist:
    (I might be a bit jealous)

I would love to go but it ain't going to happen unfortunately. It should be a great rally though. I can see Petter doing really well. He is going to push very hard for a good result. It's that or he will go off :P.

I've never been over to it so I can't help you with stage recommendations.
    Enjoy it..

Battle for second in the championship should be interesting. Brilliant rally last year with Loeb and Mikko battling it out to the very end.
    I havent been to a rally in years - you need tickets now? :confused:
    Yep, it's £20 per day, pain in the backside to be honest, makes you appreciate that most rallies in Ireland are free to watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Looking like one hell of a battle to look forward to tomorrow. I feel for Latvala who was really going well, but also hats off to Solberg just 1.8s off the lead despite gearbox issues and broken starter. He should have alot more to come tomorrow :) What a great weekend of sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hows Craig Breen getting on?

• Advertisement

Craig is 13th overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Up to 12th now 2nd in SWRC, 0.4 sec's ahead of Pons hope he holds him off for the last stage, fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

Anyone else ever notice the lack of interest rally posts get on this forum, but the abundance of F1???!!

Fantastic drive by Petter Solberg, but backed off late in the rally, but the only man who can take the fight to Loeb on a consistent and regular basis, had Seb 1 out of his comfort zone all weekend. A great drive for a private effort run out of his own pocket.

Gutted for Jari Matti with this puncture on Day1, would have made it very interesting for all involved. However a great drive to drag himself back up onto the podium, albeit aided by team orders, one would suspect and clinching runner up in the championship. All in all, the years most improved driver on all surfaces.

Mikko Hirvonen still looking decidedly ill at ease with the car from both his demeanour in interviews and facial expressions from behind the wheel on the on boards. The man needs to have a serious sit down with a sports psychologist, because he's not the same driver we saw forcing Loeb to admit defeat in Sweden. Wilson won't drop him, as hes a safe pair of hands, and if rumours are to be believed he cant afford to drop him.

Sordo didnt do himself any harm for next year but its abundantly clear that tar is his favoured surface, but if rumours are to be believed, he has penned a deal to join Dungannon's Kris Meeke at Prodrive Mini. An ace move it could be argued by David Richards, and a dropped ball by Malcolm Wilson some would argue, as the two men entrusted with a vast amount of the development work for the new DS3 WRC and the previous C4, are now able to bring their experience and know how to the Prodrive team entering the WRC at Rally Italy in 2011.

Matthew Wilson, didnt set the world alight, yet did not disgrace himself as usual. He comes in for a lot of slating on forums but he gets it home, but his PR does not do him any favours. Very similar to mIkko Hirvonen of late, but without Mikkos speed, Matthew seems to be a llittle bit ill at ease with the Focus from his demoeanour behind the wheel. It is also audible, as there is rarely a consistent throttle note from his car, very much a lot of jabbing and stabbing at the throttle, in short not carrying enough speed through the corners. Hes a nice guy, and being of a similar age to myself I am hesitant to criticise him as I sure he is aware of the criticism he some in for amongst some rally fans. It cant be easy for young guy to know that people will always be slating you, coupling that with the fact that your father is watching your every move and having to face him and live under the same roof when something goes wrong. Granted as a sportsman some will say he should be able to deal with it. Personally I think that much lik Hirvonen, Wilson needs to perhaps reassess his approach and find his competive instinct again, either through the use of a sports psychologist or driver tuition from the likes of Marcus Gronholm or Markko Martin. As Jimmy McRae once said about Colin McRae; "Its easier to get driver back from 100% to around 90-95%, but to get a driver from 90% to 100%, its a lot more difficult."

Farewell to WRCs as we know them and a welcome with open arms and throttles to the new generation of World Rally Cars, with more driver input, less technology, closer specifications and most importantly greater spectacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Anyone else ever notice the lack of interest rally posts get on this forum, but the abundance of F1???!!

you'll get that here, It's a bit like MI, only interested in boring roundy roundy racing, and give Rally people the cold shoulder!!!! I personally think the forum should be called Circuit racing forum because that seems to the the only form of "Motorsport" being discussed regularly!

P.S. great post!

Very enjoyable rally, Breen did brilliant, not normally a huge fan of his but he was on the pace all weekend.
    Next season is going to be very interesting!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I'm gutted for Petter I really taught he could win it, still a great result and a really good rally from what I seen.

Andreas Mikkelsen was way out on his own in the S2000. I was listening to an interview with Breen on rally radio and he implied he was not pushing as hard as he could. Hope it's true would love to see him competitive in the WRC Academy next year.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

you'll get that here, It's a bit like MI, only interested in boring roundy roundy racing, and give Rally people the cold shoulder!!!! I personally think the forum should be called Circuit racing forum because that seems to the the only form of "Motorsport" being discussed regularly!

P.S. great post!

A wee bit harsh on the synopsis there...I'm a rallying fanatic first & foremost but as a spectator & competitor I generally get to voice opinion, chit-chat and banter at events, on the phone and on dedicated forums.

For proper rallying chat with those involved try http://www.rallyforums.com F1 is a bit of fun (for me)on these forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

Am on rallyforums.com myself, but was a bit of an observation is all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Am on rallyforums.com myself, but was a bit of an observation is all

I think the rally base in Ireland is more of a community who know eachother...not many of them on here is probably the reason there's not as much banter as there could/should be surrounding events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

For me anyway, a lot of it comes down to the coverage it gets on tv ... or rather the lack of coverage.

Can't remember the last time I saw a decent bit of rallying on the tv, all I can remember was the half-hour daily synopsis that used be on Eurosport at 10.30-11pm. And even that wasn't always aired as scheduled. :(

By contrast, F1 gets a lot more tv time.

Took some videos at a few stages of the rally, it's all taken on an iPhone so the camera work isn't hectic but it might be of interest!! :)

Advertisement