Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glassware.

Options
  • 03-11-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Seeing lots of pictures of beers in specific beer glasses, looks very posh & all but does it actually improve the 'drinking experience' or is it a load of oul rubbish? Im leaning towards the latter. Its beer, you drink it. The end? Its not wine.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For some beers it's very important. If the aroma is a major part of what the beer does, like with lots of the strong Belgian ales or anything with a big hop kick, then you get better bang for your buck with a glass that'll trap the aromas and deliver them to your nose.

The Duvel glass, I think, is one of the best designed glasses for this.
    Glass_Duvel.jpg
    It's basically a giant brandy snifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

BeerNut wrote: »
    For some beers it's very important. If the aroma is a major part of what the beer does, like with lots of the strong Belgian ales or anything with a big hop kick, then you get better bang for your buck with a glass that'll trap the aromas and deliver them to your nose.

The Duvel glass, I think, is one of the best designed glasses for this.
    Glass_Duvel.jpg
    It's basically a giant brandy snifter.

Right but what capacity is this glass & could i use it for most beers? I might get one specific glass but not im not getting several. What about the chimay chalice? Would that do the same job?

Right but what capacity is this glass & could i use it for most beers?
    It'll hold half a litre, though without much headspace. But then with beers sold by the half litre you're less likely to need it.
    What about the chimay chalice? Would that do the same job?
    More or less, yeah. But it won't hold a half litre. If I were only getting one glass I'd get the Duvel one.

It'll hold half a litre, though without much headspace. But then with beers sold by the half litre you're less likely to need it.

More or less, yeah. But it won't hold a half litre. If I were only getting one glass I'd get the Duvel one.

Okey dokey, cheers for the info.:) Now where would i get on of these? Would they be available in a good off-licence?

Im in munster so i don't think drinkstore.ie will deliver one single glass to me.:pac:

Now where would i get on of these?
    It's a question that comes up here a lot without a proper answer. I'd nearly say there was enough demand for specialty beer glassware in Ireland for someone to make a business out of it.

A specialty beer pub like The Bierhaus or Abbot's might sell you one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Seeing lots of pictures of beers in specific beer glasses, looks very posh & all but does it actually improve the 'drinking experience' or is it a load of oul rubbish? Im leaning towards the latter. Its beer, you drink it. The end? Its not wine.

Narrow Weiss beer glasses help to hold the head on beer all the way down to the end so are good for Weiss beers (obviously) and lagers.

paulaner-weissbier.jpg

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Narrow Weiss beer glasses help to hold the head on beer all the way down to the end so are good for Weiss beers (obviously) and lagers.

paulaner-weissbier.jpg

Would a standard pilsner glass not do the same job? http://www.my-own-beer.com/Pilsner_Glass_Set.html
    They're a bit smaller but pretty much the same shape.

Or a basic ale glass. http://everydaydrinkers.com/2007/10/17/microbrew-or-mass-marketing-beer/

Both are cheap & stocked in tescos.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I guess the pilsner one would yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You can buy very large wine glasses these days pretty commonly - they work very well for almost any beer.

Right lads i got myself a beer glass.

1211835803_Piraat_w450_h400.jpg

I think it takes half a litre. I didn't get a trappist chalice because obviously i won't always be drinking trappist ales & they're quite small. So what do you think of me having this as mult-beer glass?

• Advertisement

It's ideal;)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Yes that looks like the bizz, what beer is it ? I can't make it out ... Pirate????

The Duvel glass above will easily hold a regular pint but that is not the point of the glass I think technically it holds over 600ml. If you have a decent beer in a 500ml bottle there is no reason why you shouldn't use it like a wine glass ... i.e. max half fill it. You could pour 300ml hold some back and pour the other 200ml when your down to say your last 100ml ...

The chalice glass I have comfortably takes a 330ml bottle but again I usually do it in 2 seperate pours anyway.

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a beer, especially when your trying to nose it and you have a big full heavy glass.

what beer is it ? I can't make it out ... Pirate?
    Piraat. Nice beer, strong Belgian blonde, like Duvel.
    there is no reason why you shouldn't use it like a wine glass ... i.e. max half fill it. You could pour 300ml hold some back and pour the other 200ml when your down to say your last 100ml ...
    There's a very good reason not to do this: for bottle-conditioned beers your second glass is going to be full of the dregs. Even yeasty beers can be ruined by doing this.

Yes that looks like the bizz, what beer is it ? I can't make it out Pirate????

The Duvel glass above will easily hold a regular pint but that is not the point of the glass I think technically it holds over 600ml. If you have a decent beer in a 500ml bottle there is no reason why you shouldn't use it like a wine glass ... i.e. max half fill it. You could pour 300ml hold some back and pour the other 200ml when your down to say your last 100ml ...

The chalice glass I have comfortably takes a 330ml bottle but again I usually do it in 2 seperate pours anyway.

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a beer, especially when your trying to nose it and you have a big full heavy glass.

Well im skeptical that there will be any difference in enjoyment to be honest but a few regulars in the beer forum have recommended a more taste/smell? focused beer glass so i will take the advice & see how it goes.:)

I was using a big oul regular pint beer mug last weekend & have to admit it felt clumsy & not exactly suited to the some of the lovely ales i was pouring into it. Especially the chimay.
    I might get an even better blast of the so called complex aromas this weekend. Lots of beer review websites & Beernuts blog reviews constantly refer to lots of various smells banana, carmel, lemons, ginger all sorts of fruits & honestly i didn't really pick up on these things so thats why im changing glassware.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

There's a very good reason not to do this: for bottle-conditioned beers your second glass is going to be full of the dregs. Even yeasty beers can be ruined by doing this.

But would your bottle not settle by the time you get back to it ???
    I would always pour my weiss beers in one pour though to include the yeast.

Piraat. Nice beer, strong Belgian blonde, like Duvel.

Thanks must search it out ..

I might get an even better blast of the so called complex aromas this weekend. Lots of beer review websites & Beernuts blog reviews constantly refer to lots of various smells banana, carmel, lemons, ginger all sorts of fruits & honestly i didn't really pick up on these things
    Make sure you're not drinking your beer too cold eg fridge temp. I find that giving an ale ten minutes in the freezer from room temperature gets it right.
    But would your bottle not settle by the time you get back to it ?
    It depends how much sediment is in there, I guess. I suppose I've become very used to pouring homebrew where there's loads.

Thanks must search it out ..[/QUOTE]

Well lads i tried out my piraat beer glass last night & all i can say is, its added an extra smell bonus to enjoying my beers.

Some of the smells i was getting off certain beers was amazing. Absolutely confirmed that glassware does make a difference with good beer. Bring on the tonights beers.:D

Its beer, you drink it. The end? Its not wine.

Now take that back!!
    (Although, of course it's not wine but it can be just as complex)

Advertisement