Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse on road - Insurance issues

Options
  • 03-11-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭

Im trying to convince someone that she really is taking a huge risk being on the road with her 2 horses without any form of insurance cover.
    She and friend are riding 2 horses on public road, both horses owned by this person I know.
    Now there is alot of traffic on this road and they are both inexperienced horse people and although generally the horses are just at a walking pace, it is a narrow road and each car passing is a major event.

Now the risks as I see it are that the horses would cause damage to a car, hurt someone or indeed hurt the friend on the other horse. Personal injury to my friend the horse owner also has to be looked all as she has dependants etc
    Could anyone point me in the direction of some documentation that would point out the risks for this person or indeed details of common insurance policies that people in this situation take out.

She actually told me this evening that if the horse was to jump on a stationary car, that she would win any court case.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If she refuses to get insurance, there is not much you can do. But there is a reason for the riding and roadsafety exam. (have you mentioned this to her?)

The fact of the matter is, she is putting herself in huge risk without insurance, especially if she doesn't have personal insurance. This does not just apply on the roads.

There is this website: http://www.articlealley.com/article_868425_18.html
    but was wrote in 2009 in the UK. Same principles apply though.

Also these two may come in handy: http://www.horserides.org/horse-road-safety.html
    http://www.horserides.org/horse-riding-insurance.html

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Great tips and links by above poster.

Where does she keep the horses, at home on a farm or small land or other?
    If farm, there is farm public liabitity insurance that also covered horse owners/hunters.
    NB: Only if the farm is fully insured.

Crazy but thats her problem not yours.

:eek: 'if my horse jump(damage) car (on public road) i win (er, how and then you have no insurance to cover cost of court and claim fees,etc)' :confused: No!

Worst Possible Case: if horse got injured or have to be PTS at scene of accident. Or horse cause driver/passenger's death cos owner could not control her horse(s) if both horses were to bolt on road. who's paying? (Hint:The owner)

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I have insurance with the BHS.

Perhaps contact BHS Ireland or sit your friend down and make her read the main BHS website.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

A search of the threads will show that this question has come up again and again. The bottom line is if you and your horse are involved in a road traffic incident (we don't say accident any more cos that implies no blame), it is incumbent on the motorists insurer to recover as much of the costs from the claim as possible from the other party, ie you, regardless of fault. The British Horse Society gives you free third party insurance with their Gold (full) membership; you can also get similar insurance from Allianz. You could also go for a fuller insurance which covers the horse’s vet’s fees if it becomes sick, again from Allianz. Ultimately you can run the risk of not insuring, how often have you had an accident in your car? Never is the answer for most people, the day your luck runs out is when you realise why people pay insurance!

Advertisement