Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many amps in the ESB high voltage cables?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I was wondering how many amps are in the ESB high voltage cables?
    Based on the image below from wikipedia am I right in saying 60amps and 273amps?

Distribution Grid
    to 3MW substation via 50kV lines
    I=P/V
    I=3MW/50kV
    I=60 amps?
    Transmission Grid (to 30MW substation via 110kV)
    I=30MW/110kV
    I=273amps?
    500px-Electricity_Grid_Schematic_English.svg.png

And why is deadly dangerous electricity quoted in volts along the lines of 'Danger 5000volts' when high voltage alone isn't dangerous. Why isn;t it quoted along the lines of 'Danger 5000volts at up to 60amps'

Take a farm eclectic fence, it can easily have 5000volts and is not dangerous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

It boils down to some basic things, most of the public would have no appreciation for what is or isn't lethal. So it is best to put people off going near some thing by quoting a large a number as possible.

As it is 60 amps is not lethal if the voltage is low, so as you correctly stated a suitably high voltage and current is lethal. It only takes a current in the order of 50mA to cause your heart to lose rythmn. This occurs at about +150V. It depends on the conditions of your body but if you are wet your body has about only about 500 Ohm resistance while if you are very dry anything up to 100,000 Ohm.

As I said to put people off going near transformers and sub stations warning signs saying Danger 35000V etc are a far better deterrent than say 60 Amps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnjoebrady

on ESB cables voltages range from 400kv, 220kv, 110kv, 38kv, 20kv, 10kv

on a 400kv line there could be a 100 amps
    reduce that to household voltage thats becomes 173913 amps
    enough current to power dublin, almost

the reason ESB call there lines by the voltage that goes through them is because the voltage is constant never changing!

While the current changes depending on the power being used at any one time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

the reason ESB call there lines by the voltage that goes through them is because the voltage is constant never changing!

While the current changes depending on the power being used at any one time!

Ahh, I see. I didn't realise the current changed. But now that I think about it that makes sense.

Thanks johnjoebrady :)

Advertisement