Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream pony with tack on....nightmare with tack off....

Options
  • 03-11-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi , I have three ponies...14.2 Connemara x Arab that is a perfect lady with impeccable manners both riding and in stable / field. 12h baby cutie who is 5, New Forest type who is a bit jittery gets scared with loud bangs etc, otherwise a nice gentle little lad.

13.2 Connemara x who is a perfect dream pony for my eldest child when the tack is ON - perfectly schooled, never bolts, jumps really well etc....tack off he is a pain to lead, goes wherever he wants, sees a bucket and we are in trouble, leaving the others behind etc the same thing. Anything to do with separation or food he is really an absolute nuisance.

My daughter is not a child who likes to be handed a tacked up pony to ride and it then to be taken off her when finished. She is the rare type at age 10 who is up at 7am winter or summer mucking out grooming etc. This is nearly more important to her than riding sometimes. We got the 13.2 for her as the 14.2 is too big really and with lovely long legs feels like she is bombing along in canter even though it's just her stride. 12h is a lead rein pony and not really schooled for a lot of jumping. Anyway sorry for being so long winded.

What are opinions on ponies that have bad handling manners? Is it a lost cause when you have a strong clever pony that is just wily? He breaks out of everywhere...first thing he does when in a stable, field, yard whatever is to push with his chest or bum straightaway to test boundaries and then his goal is just to get out. He breaks fences, jumps fences, walks through electric fencing....Once out we can walk up and catch him no problem. He just wants to break away or out all the time even if he was in a field knee deep in grass he's want to get out just for the sake of it.

Daughter is seriously fed up with this despite him being fab to ride. We are considering selling him as she is very disheartened with this situation. She wants to be able to handle and care for her pony alone, but sometimes it takes two adults to keep him in check if we are bringing him in and the others are staying out. He just spins and legs it back up to his pals.

We had a private session with wonderful Laura Domenica of Natural Horsemanship a few months ago and both she and the pony met their match. Her conclusion was that he is unbelievably strong willed and wily. He was much better after the session but old habits soon returned. Now he is just a pain in the neck again, we spend every day catching him or locking him up in a stable to keep him in but he goes mad then wanting to get out. I leave him out at night sometimes as he won't jump tape at night but as soon as dawn rises (and I'm still in bed) he's out like a flash into grass that is leased out to a local farmer who is very nice about it but it is not acceptable to eat the grass he has paid for. If we want to move him from one place to another the whole walk is about him watching and waiting for a weak second and he spins and bolts back to his friends. We bring one pony sometimes with us but we are back to two adults and one child just to move one pony!!! It is incredibly time consuming and irritating.

Any opinions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Sometimes, when a horse is being bold, he needs a bit of discipline and a sharp slap is alright at times. This seems like one of those times.

It sounds like he hasn't been trained to lead properly. I would try tying him to the wall if you have a ring, and walkin a horse past him. He may be able to drag you, but the chances are, he won't be able to drag the wall... If possible, I would do this in a closed yard, in case he breaks a lead-rope or headcollar. I would also do this with a bucket of feed. Put the bucket on the ground, out of reach but close enough that he can smell the food. He will soon learn that he cannot go anywhere. Do this for about an hour a day for a week.

As he goes for food when you are leading him, swing the leadrope round (without hitting him) and walk on. If he still refuses to go anywhere other than to the food, give him a slight tap with it, and again, try to walk on. Repeat this harder and harder until he moves. If harder slaps are needed, try adding a sharp growl instead of a wallop.

You say he trys to escape from the stable. Does he push against you when you open the door? For this I would shove back against him. If this doesn't work, use your fingers and push against him again, this time putting your fingers against his chest.

As for the field escapes, the only thing I can suggest is higher fencing and even hedges.

Please note: this is not my encouraging to use violence to train a horse. It should only be used if absolutely necessary. This horse sounds like he is just taking the p*** and, if this is the case, a bit harsher form of discipline is needed.

Hope this helps any, and I haven't left anything out. I probably have so just ask again!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Maggity

Thanks for your suggestions. Regarding barging out the stable door - this guy just locks his shoulders and walks where he wants he is incredibly strong! I haven't a chance if he decides to walk out of the stable. One time the farrier who is a big 6"3" man was holding him and the pony brought him to the ground as a mare was walking past the stable door when we opened it!! The farrier couldn't believe it. He does nothing mean or bad, never kicks, bites and as I said if he runs off in the field I just walk up to him and put headcollar on - it is rare that he would move off. He's just a pain to lead - thought not always, sometimes he happily walks along with his head nice and low, it is just if his adrenaline kicks in for some reason then that's it, I can feel him fizzing ready to go. Anyway your suggestions are a help thank you. I have bought a natural horsemanship headcollar now and he seems to be mulling that one over, as it feels different. I can nearly hear him think!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Have you tried leading him with just the headpiece of a bridle, with the lead out of the bit rather than the headcollar? That can often help. I had a similar problem with a young horse recently. He was ignorant rather than bold, and didn't see anything wrong with pulling me around the yard, stable, etc. So I took to leading him with from a bit rather than a headcollar and it made the world of difference.

Ok that's a good plan, I have clip reins too not buckles so even easier to do that. Will see if it improves the situation. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

My Horse used to be really headstrong when leading and I found repetition was the key to keeping him in line, eg I brought him out to one of the furthest turnout paddocks and he was on his toes and eventually reared up twice, I brought him back in and back out to the paddock (without turning him out) 15 times till he was a little lamb by the end. Any other problems I have used the same process and that works for him.

Hes a 15'2 half Connemara (Gelded late too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Have you tried a stud chain? Here in Chicago pretty much everyone uses a stud chain :rolleyes:. However your pony just might do better with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

id never normally advise getting rid of a pony, the only thing that makes me think you might be right selling him is just the fact that it is a child rather than an adult dealing with him - she sounds so dedicated and the last thing you want is this pony turning her off riding as she tries her best and he's consistently fighting against her? i'm also slightly biased as a pet peeve of mine is horses that are difficult to catch;i cant stand fighting with them in an open space with all their friends milling around you!

Firstly thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I am not a supporter of stud chains. If this pony was hard to catch it would be straightforward but the big eejit is a doddle to catch.

Anyway I have sold the small 12h gelding after advertising him for one day (he was very very pretty and a sweet pony) who was last in so first out and the remaining two have settled back down to their normal selves, my 13.2 is no doubt going to continue to jump everything in sight but is definitely more biddable now that his beloved mare best friend is all his. I have learnt a hard lesson in group and herd dynamics.

I will continue to reinforce good manners with him but with relief I can say he is back to himself - hurrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Good stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Maggity wrote: »
    Firstly thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I am not a supporter of stud chains. If this pony was hard to catch it would be straightforward but the big eejit is a doddle to catch.

I'm not either, but generally just putting one on does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Glad to hear its a happy ending

Maggity wrote: »

Anyway I have sold the small 12h gelding after advertising him for one day (he was very very pretty and a sweet pony) who was last in so first out and the remaining two have settled back down to their normal selves, my 13.2 is no doubt going to continue to jump everything in sight but is definitely more biddable now that his beloved mare best friend is all his. I have learnt a hard lesson in group and herd dynamics.

I will continue to reinforce good manners with him but with relief I can say he is back to himself - hurrah.

Advertisement