Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach riding in Wexford / Waterford

Options
  • 03-11-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi - I live in Co. Carlow and my children and I would love to take the ponies to a beach for a spin. However I'm not sure what beaches are accessible, or where is good to go to - any bans etc. Any advice or insider info much appreciated. New motorway makes Co. Waterford really accessible to us and south Wexford is good too. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I know that you can ride on Woodstown beach near Dunmore East. I dont know if there are restrictions though. There are stables down there and I'm sure you could give them a call to find out. They definitely go out in the mornings though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 blondie_507

This is a ridng school that do beach rides so I am sure if you speak to them they may even be able to let you park at the yard and have a guide if that is helpful for you. Jo Kimmins runs it, and her number is <snip> I think. They by Rosslare Harbour, but you can ride from St. Helens to Carne and there will be no restrictions now on Carne since it's after the summer. Hope this helps.

Please PM blondie 507 if you would like the number. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Maggity

Thanks all!

Forgot to ask about directions to Carne / St. Helens beaches with a horse box. Looking at google maps and there are lots or roads down. What is the best way to go to unload and start off from?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

just to put another one out there for you to think about..

There is a lovely spot near ballygarret, which is near Gorey that has miles of beaches and is often used by horses.. Loading and un loading has never been a problem and loads of room to turn and park etc..

• Advertisement

I was in Cahore and that area this summer - would it be the road further north of the turn in Ballygarret village? Again I'm trawling googlemaps on satellite view to try to see what roads lead directly down to beaches. Thanks for any help.

Are u in a box or a trailer? All the roads are pretty winding down there at times. If you want Liosin's number pm me, also there are a few ways to get down to the beach, the main turn to get towards the beaches is by culletons pub/kilrane inn on the main road heading to rosslare harbour.
    You have to turn right inbetween the pubs, follow the road and u get to what looks like a crossroad but isn't. The road actually follows round to the right. At this point, you either take the left turn, which will take u to liosin, or u go straight across as if it was a x-road.
    Parking will probably be easier if u go straight on if u don't want to go to the stables itself. Follow the road and u will pass a large farm on your right, at the top of the hill there is a road off the left of a bend, take the left and follow that the whole way and u will be at the beach.
    The path down to the beach goes between the dunes and has been made from wooden planks, so is usually quite ok to go onto even if the weather has been bad.
    When you get on the beach, further left is St.Helens, and where the windmills are is Carne. There is a sand dune that you can canter up, when looking at it, it kind of goes up from the right hand side, next to where u came out from the car park, there is a dip at the top then abit up again, and then a sharp left hnd bend to come back down.
    It's great if you've got a good set of ponies that are pretty versatile. You can near enough ride to the windmills, but u have to do abit of road riding to get the whole way there. If u want any more directions let me know, but I think I've rambled enough now lol!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to give great detail.

Your very welcome, if you need anything else or even directions on how to ride to carne itself I'm happy to help. I used to ride down there all the time so I'm quite good with the routes etc.

Advertisement