Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If these things get out we're dead...

Options
  • 03-11-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Enormous Paleozoic flesh-eaters created in lab

Crazed boffins in the USA say they have successfully carried out a Jurassic Park-style project in which enormous flesh-eating creatures from the remote prehistoric past have been successfully bred in the laboratory. Incomprehensibly this laboratory is not located on a remote island.

As many readers will doubtless be aware, during the late Paleozoic era the Earth was, if not exactly ruled or terrorised, at the least very seriously bothered by swarms of gigantic dragonflies with wingspans around 70cm across. The monster insects will have been all the more troublesome as dragonflies "need to hunt live prey", according to experts.

One such expert is Dr John VandenBrooks, who has after a lengthy struggle managed to breed such much-enlarged dragonflies in his Arizona laboratory. The large size was achieved by enhancing atmospheric oxygen levels to 31 per cent, as seen in the Paleozoic (today's air is only about 20 per cent O2).

The hard bit, according to the prof, was not the creation of this artificially enriched (or "hyperoxic") atmosphere but the actual care and feeding of the monstrous, prehistoric winged flesh-eaters.

"Dragonflies are notoriously difficult to rear," boasts VandenBrooks. "We are one of the only groups to successfully rear them to adulthood under laboratory conditions."

According to a statement issued by the Geological Society of America:

There is no such thing as dragonfly chow. As juveniles they need to hunt live prey and in fact undergraduate students Elyse Muñoz and Michael Weed working with Dr VandenBrooks had to resort to hand feeding the dragonflies.
    It's to be hoped that the unfortunate undergrads escaped from the hyperoxia chambers with their hands and other body parts intact. Plenty more where they came from, no doubt.

Not content with his creation of huge flesh-eating Paleozoic hyper-dragonflies, VandenBrooks also sought to breed greatly enlarged cockroaches and other horrors using similar hypercharged breeding pens. However this time the experiments were a failure, even once the hyper-roaches had been blasted with incredibly powerful energy rays at a handy atom-smasher.

The disappointed prof, perhaps assisted by surviving members of his team, is to reveal details of his accomplishments at a convention in Colorado later today. ®

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/01/paleozoic_park/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Me want's one:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Wanna see a picture of one:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Dear oh dear, Alison stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

i call bull****, pics or gtfo....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Tomebagel wrote: »
    Wanna see a picture of one:(

meganeura.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Panda wrote: »
    i call bull****, pics or gtfo....

giant-dragonfly.jpg

I for one welcome our Paleozoic flesh-eating overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Now I gotta go look for my Tennis Racket :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Dragonflies are your friend, they eat midges and mosquitos.
    I can only assume these lads will eat pigeons, not a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Awesome.

Thankfully they will suffocate and die outside the lab. Unless they bite one of the lab researchers, slowly turning him into a human-dragonfly hybrid with a 2m wingspan.

seamus wrote: »
    Thankfully they will suffocate and die outside the lab. Unless they bite one of the lab researchers, slowly turning him into a human-dragonfly hybrid with a 2m wingspan.

148931.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://sify.com/news/dragonflies-grow-bigger-with-more-oxygen-study-news-international-kk5nOieajhb.html
    To understand how paleo-oxygen levels would have influenced the evolution of insects, scientists decided to look at the plasticity of modern insects raised in different oxygen concentrations.

The team raised cockroaches, dragonflies, grasshoppers, meal worms, beetles and other insects in atmospheres containing different amounts of oxygen to see if there were any effects.

One result was that dragonflies grew faster into bigger adults in hyperoxia.

However, cockroaches grew slower and did not become larger adults. In all, ten out of twelve kinds of insects studied decreased in size in lower oxygen atmospheres.

But there were varied responses when they were placed into an enriched oxygen atmosphere.

"The dragonflies were the most challenging of the insects to raise," said John VandenBrooks of Arizona State University.

One possibility is that the hyperoxic reared roaches stayed in their larval stage longer, perhaps waiting for their environment to change to a lower, maybe less stressful oxygen level.

VandenBrooks and team took the hyperoxic-reared roaches to Argonne National Lab's x-ray synchrontron imaging facility to get a closer look at the tracheal tubes.

They found that the tracheal tubes of hyperoxic-reared roaches were smaller than those in lower oxygen atmospheres.

That decrease in tube size with no increase in the overall body size would allow the roaches to possibly invest more in tissues used for other vital functions other than breathing - like eating or reproducing.

The roaches reared in hypoxia (lower oxygen) would have to trade off their investment in these other tissues in order to breathe.

they didn't try millipedes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I wonder could you use the dragonfly for fishing??

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't quite get what happened here. Did he get some fossilized dna and implant it or something? How can you breed things that aren't around now?

I can see it now. Puts on some Barry White. Lowers the lights. Rubs fossils together. Result.

Shenanigans!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Modern insects put in conditions that existed back then,

the poor things would be gasping for breath if they got loose

would be interesting if they tried the same thing with chickens, they are much closer to dinosaurs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

steve06 wrote: »
    Crazed boffins...
    Stopped reading here....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Erm
    Updated to Add

Dr VandenBrooks writes in to say:

The dragonflies that we reared in the lab did not have 70 cm wingspans, that is how big they were 300 million years ago. Our dragonflies were only 15% larger than normal, hardly enormous, huge or much-enlarged. Just thought I would inform you of what the results actually were.

ColHol wrote: »
    Stopped reading here....

I too hate the word boffins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I can only assume these lads will eat pigeons, not a bad thing

But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by Dragonflies............

SKINNER No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the Dragonflies.

LISA But aren't the snakes even worse?

SKINNER Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA But then we're stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Oh those crazed boffins they're always up to something!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Seems they're at least sticking to the tried and tested sensationalist science 'journalism'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2010/sep/24/1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Could imagine the front of your car and windscreen hitting those on the way up the M7?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Have none of the scientists watched The Mist?!

anyway they shouldnt be wasting their time on insects, make us some dinosaurs!

Advertisement