Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We could see this coming!

Options
  • 03-11-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1103/breaking36.html
    Live Register falls by 6,600

MARIE O'HALLORAN and MICHAEL O'REGAN
    The number of unemployed dropped by more than 12,800 since September, bringing the numbers on the live register to 429,550 Taoiseach Brian Cowen has told the Dáil.
    Speaking in advance of the formal announcement of the unemployment figures by the Central Statistics Office, Mr Cowen said seasonally adjusted unemployment dropped by 6,600 in October.
    He said the decrease was “much higher” than normally expected in October.
    It's the second highest fall ever for the month of October. On the basis of Department of Social Protection figures the unemployment rate will be 13.6 per cent, he said.
    Mr Cowen said the economy was stabilising as shown by the live register and on target exchequer returns for October.

Hey Cowen - they've left the fucking country to find jobs -stabilisation my arse!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Aye, im off the live register because I went North to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

What about all those who's stamps have run out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

ejmaztec wrote: »

Hey Cowen - they've left the fucking country to find jobs -stabilisation my arse!

When an aeroplane which has plummetted 20,000 feet into the ground hits the ground, it has then 'stabilised'.

nb that's not a crash, its an unplanned deviation into terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Poxy government will say anything to get out of the bad books CSO didn't say anything about those people emergrating for work the majority of people who left the country made that drop happen. Seriuosly how thick are these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He must think that we're extra thick to believe that bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well said ejmaztec. Thousands have been thrown from the Live Register into courses as well. Its all fidlling of the figures. Same happened this time last year. Income tax receipts are still falling.

Do we expect the employment figures when they are due out to reflect such a 'drop in unemployment'? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

ejmaztec wrote: »

Whatever the reason for the drop, its still good news. And without wanting to sound too harsh, we basically need our unemployed to fcuk off somewhere else for a while, and if that is what they are doing, then we should be applauding this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

I knew unemployment was high, but 13.6%?

Jesus, that is bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Making robberies into larcenies, You juke the stats...

Whatever the reason for the drop, its still good news. And without wanting to sound too harsh, we basically need our unemployed to fcuk off somewhere else for a while, and if that is what they are doing, then we should be applauding this.

I think that's written in the Irish Constitution under the section "Prayers For Politicians".

• Advertisement

Will you be telling that to the 20,000 students who are marching today?

Yeh, its their patriotic duty to emigrate as FF cannot provide them with a future. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

No, not at all.

These are the good unemployed that are leaving. the ones with education, degrees and whatnot.

We need the bad unemployed to leave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Fuhrer wrote: »
    We need the bad unemployed to leave

Which will never happen because they were on the welfare gravy train during the boom when we had to start shipping in people from Eastern Europe to fill our jobs. They're not going to go anywhere as long as they can still get their €200 a week, free travel and rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Quality wrote: »
    What about all those who's stamps have run out?

Exactly. There are lots of people who are still here, still jobless, but just not on the live register any more because they no longer qualify for dole.

Which makes this statement:

Untrue. It's not good news. It's false news.

gurramok wrote: »
    Will you be telling that to the 20,000 students who are marching today?

Yeh, its their patriotic duty to emigrate as FF cannot provide them with a future. FFS.

It is, because they certainly won't be getting any job here for a good few years. They need to do what everyone did in the 80's- emigrate, get a job, gain experience and skills then come back to Ireland when things are better. Its all just a little bit of history repeating.

I think this thread is against the national interest :D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1103/liveregister.html
    Cowen wrote:
    Responding to Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny's comments about unemployment, Mr Cowen said there should be a critique, but politicians must ensure that the national interest is served.

He said opposition leaders must not 'generate negativity' about the economy.

Babooshka wrote: »
    Exactly. There are lots of people who are still here, still jobless, but just not on the live register any more because they no longer qualify for dole.

Then thats good news if we don't have to pay these people any more. It will force them to get any job available or else emigrate. Either is fine with me.

Then thats good news if we don't have to pay these people any more. It will force them to get any job available or else emigrate. Either is fine with me.

That's fine. But spin is spin. That's all I was pointing out. There have been emigrations, but there are a lot more people still here unemployed. It's being made to look as though less people are unemployed which is not true, is all.

It is, because they certainly won't be getting any job here for a good few years. They need to do what everyone did in the 80's- emigrate, get a job, gain experience and skills then come back to Ireland when things are better. Its all just a little bit of history repeating.

Nice soundbite from the FF machine. Lets ship all the young people abroad as they are useless to FF as they show up FF incompetence, the old emigration safety valve again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

This is no different to "seasonally adjusting" the figures. What irks me though is how Cowen jumps to spin any bit of what could tentatively be put into the "good news" category wholly expecting to get away with inane soundbites and not be queried on the substance behind his declarations.

The population, in his opinion, is clearly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Don't "Generate Negativity", that's a large part of their policy?

****ing hell, people in this country are getting so desperate that they can't afford to call the Samaritans and he has the balls to say this to the opposition!

Touché Mr. Cowan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I brought the wife over to New York last week for a surprise anniversary trip. The plane was full of young single men and women (mostly men) who where going in search of work. One man in his thirties i got talking to had been on the dole since late 2008 and his stamps had run out leaving him with next to nothing to support his family.

The figures are totally false but i expect them to be spun to the max by the shower in poer at present.

fatboypee wrote: »
    This is no different to "seasonally adjusting" the figures. What irks me though is how Cowen jumps to spin any bit of what could tentatively be put into the "good news" category wholly expecting to get away with inane soundbites and not be queried on the substance behind his declarations.

The population, in his opinion, is clearly stupid.
    In fairness to Cowen he's right, many are clearly stupid.

Have you actually ever seen a man at an airport waving goodbye to his kids and wife maybe not seeing them for a couple of years? Well i have and it's utterly heartbreaking and not fine by me.

Don't "Generate Negativity", that's a large part of their policy?

****ing hell, people in this country are getting so desperate that they can't afford to call the Samaritans and he has the balls to say this to the opposition!

Touché Mr. Cowan.

Yep. It reminds me of when I was 5 and the kid next door poked me in the eye and I cried, and he said "please don't tell your Ma...pleeeeeez".

gurramok wrote: »
    Nice soundbite from the FF machine. Lets ship all the young people abroad as they are useless to FF as they show up FF incompetence, the old emigration safety valve again. :mad:

well like it or lump it these people are useless to us at the minute, things aren't going to change any time soon, its best for everyone involved if they just leave

well like it or lump it these people are useless to us at the minute, things aren't going to change any time soon, its best for everyone involved if they just leave

Yes, I agree entirely with your opinion of Fianna Fail.

Are you flaming? What makes you so utterly untouchable and not vulnerable to what has befallen lots in this country lately? You come accross very heartless towards your kin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Making robberies into larcenies, You juke the stats...

Maybe we could change the name of the country to Hamsterdam.

• Advertisement

Babooshka wrote: »
    Are you flaming? What makes you so utterly untouchable and not vulnerable to what has befallen lots in this country lately? You come accross very heartless towards your kin.

Nothing does, I'm just a realist, I look at things as to how they are now, not how they should be or how they might be or how they used to be.

Advertisement