Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really need some ideas for a short (2 minute) film

Options
  • 03-11-2010 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi guys, looking for ideas for a short film for an assignment in Web Multi-media. The movie must be exactly 120 seconds long... (loose marks for more or less).

I know a bit ridiculus but that's how it is.... Have never made a short movie before so have no experience whatsoever.

A comedy would be preferable but open to other suggestions. I was thinking something like the hangover, that would be gas, but how on earth am I supposed to fit a story into 2 minutes......

All ideas welcome.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Try to cover a subject that you either know about or have an interest in.

Another option is to try something really silly & simple, for example someone going through all the steps to make a lovely cup of tea/coffee only to find (in the last frame of the clip) that some eejit has put an empty milk carton back in the fridge.

"Ah Feck!" could be the only dialogue in the film when the person discovers the lack of milk for their brew.....or something like that. It's a subject that can get an easy giggle because most of us have had that little headache at one point (and people like to laugh at someone else's misfortune)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

poleuser wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking for ideas for a short film for an assignment in Web Multi-media. The movie must be exactly 120 seconds long... (loose marks for more or less).

I know a bit ridiculus but that's how it is.... Have never made a short movie before so have no experience whatsoever.

A comedy would be preferable but open to other suggestions. I was thinking something like the hangover, that would be gas, but how on earth am I supposed to fit a story into 2 minutes......

All ideas welcome.....
    Is this a multimedia course? Does it have to be specifically for a web assignment or is it a video editing assignment or both?

Sounds like both... if so then take an existing story / fairytale / rhyme like humpty dumpty or jack and jill etc and put your own contemporary (modern) twist on it.

You could turn jack and jill into a storyboard and short script easily i.e.

Original:
    Jack and jill went up the hill,
    To fetch a pale of water,
    Jack fell down and bumped his crown,
    Jill came tumbling after.

Version with a twist:
    Script the above into a story of how Jill is under investigation in a suspected homicide. Jack was the victim (fell down and bumped his crown), Jill is the murder suspect. Jill gets done for the murder of Jack (Jill came tumbling after). Twist... add whatever comes to your imagination...

Write a short story from what you see. then turn that 'script' into a story- board (pencils and paper), visualise and script it on paper. Then film it, save it as an avi, mp4 etc, upload it to the web page. Design the page to suit the story as well.

PS above all enjoy writing and storyboarding it first, then get down to the technical stuff. Focus on one task at a time. Ask away if any help needed.

Is that the kind of thing you're after?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

what about messing with the 2 minute time limitation somehow.
    Like have a clock on the screen counting down the 2 mins but have ur footage slowmotion so the actual movie lasts 5 mins etc.

I dunno, let ur imagination run with this idea.
    time and space - distortion - warp hole....

Deffinitely storyboard it so when u are filming it you dont miss any shots. going back to refilm is impossible sometimes so u need all the shots finished when u go to edit.

Advertisement