Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chicken scraps for raptors?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

I heard someone saying that they put out chicken scraps (from a roast chicken dinner) in their garden and ended up getting sparrowhawks feeding from their garden.

Would the cooked chicken be ok to leave out for the raptors since they'd only really be used to raw meat?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I think you will be more likely to entice rats with cooked stuff :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

that's pretty much what I thought too, but she seems to reguarly have the sparrowhawk feeding now..

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Guess she was lucky, if a sparrowhawk was in the area and happened upon food twice or three times then it would probably come round (if it is local) to see if there is food there, and it would keep the rats away anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

NEVER feed any bird of prey cooked meat/chicken. Added to the fact that it will cause digestive disorders, the bones will be brittle after the cooking, and there is the real possibility of them puncturing the 'crop' and causing a lingering death. Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Thanks for a definite Dave, I didn't think it could be healthy which is why I posted up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

NEVER feed any bird of prey cooked meat/chicken. Added to the fact that it will cause digestive disorders, the bones will be brittle after the cooking, and there is the real possibility of them puncturing the 'crop' and causing a lingering death. Dave

they wouldnt eat bones would they??

or do you mean if the ate them by accident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Thanks for a definite Dave, I didn't think it could be healthy which is why I posted up here.
    x2 A good thing to know....

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Both Hawks and Falcons eat the bones of their prey. They tend to work away at the joints so that when the bone is swallowed the ends are not sharp. Their digestive system is strong enough to dissolve bones hence their castings contain only fur/feather. Owls, on the other hand, have a weaker system and cast up bones, skulls etc. along with fur/feather. Dave

Advertisement