Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 307 coolant swashing noise under dash

Options
  • 02-11-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Can anyone tell me how to stop a loud swashing (noise of coolant going through system) noise, gets louder with revs, stationary or moving, under passenger dash in a peugeot 307 1.4 petrol 2002. Got coolant drained flushed and bleed. System perfect. Peugeot say noise is there to stay. If anyone had the same problem???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just a wild guess - heater matrix problem, maybe?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 peugeotKevin

have no idea, was hoping it was just air in system. but that was done so i have not a clue. is the matrix a replaceable unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Thats exactly what it is, air in the system, exactly year ago I went to the main dealer to get the coolant changed and after they did it I had the same symptoms. And it turned out that it was air in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

As Bobo78 as said its air in the system...you need to get them to bleed the system again...maybe they bleed the system with the heating turned off..:rolleyes:
    Theres no need to replace the heater matrix unless is leaking...:)

This may help....:)

Filling and bleeding the system
    Before any re-filling operation, flush the cooling circuit with clean water .
    Close the radiator drain screw (1) - (according to model) .
    Couple the lower hose (2) to the radiator - (according to model) .
    CAUTION : Check the cooling system for leaks .
    Fit the filling cylinder [1] to the filler opening . This like a coke bottle with the bottom cut off.Open all the bleed screws .
    Fill the circuit slowly with coolant .
    Close the bleed screws in the order in which the liquid flows without bubbles .
    The filling cylinder must be filled to the 1 litre mark to bleed the heater matrix correctly .
    Start the engine .
    Maintain the engine speed at 1500 to 2000 rpm until the end of the second cooling cycle (fan(s) starting then stopping) keeping the filling cylinder filled to the 1 litre mark .
    Stop the engine .
    Remove the filling cylinder [1] .
    Immediately tighten the plug on the expansion chamber .
    Engine cold : If necessary fill up to the level of the maximum mark .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Peugeot say noise is there to stay.
    What?? Did you pay a Peugeot dealer to renew the coolant? If so, have them bleed the system properly and give you a car while they're doing it.

• Advertisement

Anan1, yes i did, they said it was the answer to the problem. But it didnt remedy problem. They said they bleed system and there should be no air in system. They said noise there to stay! after they drained, flushed system, filled up and bleed system!! Could they be mistaken??might they have bleed it incorrectly?? Should i ask them to bleed it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What exactly are the Peugeot garage saying now? Did they say before that the coolant refill would eradicate the noise?

They say no more can be done. They said before hand that a bleed would fix problem. told them to do that. They drained flushed filled and bleed system. noise still the same.

Bobo78 did a proper bleed of system fix the problem?

Got system bled again by peugeot dealer. Problem still the same. What can i do now? think i am stuck with this very very annoying swashing noise. Need to get it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jimbobjones40

Hello Kevin,
    I'd like to have a look at the this for you. Check out my website below for contact details.
    Also it's pretty obvious but if I can't fix the problem there'll be no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

When cars are been filled with coolant on the factory floor there are
    coolant filling machines used to fill the coolant,
    There is a filling head which connects onto the header tank which is air/vac tight.

The process is as follows.....
    1. The whole system is pressurized to around 1.5 - 2 bar pressure and it goes
    tru a presssure hold.
    2. If it passes this pressure test then the system is pulled into a deep vacuum and the coolant is pumped/pulled by the vacuum into the system.
    3.The coolant is filled up to the top under (1 bar) pressure.
    The desired level is then acheived by the vacuum pump pulling the over filled cooleat back to the holding tank.

This maybe abit of useless information but this is why a new car should never
    have airlocks.

You can buy diy kits at your local autofactor shop which use air pressure
    to create the vacuum.....:)

jimbobjones40, your website address is not on message. Would be very grateful for some iinformation. Peugeot are seemingly unable to help my problem. i need some practical help how to remove air. I cant fully follow what to do exactly. Engine hot or cold? 1 bleed screw beside air filter cover? Expansion tank cap on/off?

Advertisement