Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

side mic snare

Options
  • 02-11-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

did this today with a u87 on a steel rimmed pearl... as well as usual top and bottom mics.

really brought a lot of body out in the snare. and made it sound more "real" than it normally when tracking.

word of warning, using 3 mics needed a bit of fiddling with little labs IBP to get the phase relationship right.

any of you guys ever try this technique on snare or any other drums for that matter? im thinking on a kick/toms it could create a lovely thump.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Three mics on a snare? Surely a LDC at the side would pick up alot of cymbal spill and mess the phase/stereo image of your OHs? Sounds like a complete nightmare to me.

Can you post up a few seconds sample of the whole kit with and without the side mic? I'd be interested in hearing it, I've never tried side mic on snare before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

ill post something up later in the week once i take the sessions home from work.

no more spill than any other mic really. its right up against the side of the snare (about 1 inch away).

does cause phase issues which is exactly the reason for using the little labs IBP.

not something to try unless you have a similiar hw/plugin.

voxengo do a good one - http://www.voxengo.com/product/pha979/

pha979.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

It is an olde school technique ok - at a time when 'unlimited' input or recording chans weren't common a kit might be recorded with 3 (or even 1!) mic so to 'balance' your kit you did what you could, namely move it !

Here's a vid of it in action -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whYTsagcy1k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

"Correlometer" sounds cute!

i like using 13 overheads..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

i like using 13 overheads..

I'm with CQD on this ...

Advertisement