Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tiny whites mites on every object i own! please help!

Options
  • 02-11-2010 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey there smile.gif,

I moved into a house which hadnt been lived in for a year all was great the first few weeks, then when the heating was turned on, i turned on my lap top and they were tiny, white, (half the size of book lice) walking around all over the laptop (approx 150) when i hovered them out more kept coming out the venting holes. looked on my desk, pvc window, which looked new, was covered in aproxx 1000 of them, then found them on lamp, head board, mirror, bedside table, all plastic objects including hair brush, moisturizer toothbrush etc. I unscrewed the head of a hair spray bottle and they had climbed into the hair spray. Noticed a few on shoes and clothes.

I moved out and through every thing out except my phone and purse which i froze for 3 days (dont know how it is stil working) and books i microwaves and then baked in the oven at 200 degrees C. Clothes i boiled at 90.

The kitchen of the house didnt seem invested when i investigated, so i brought the food into my new house and just today i found mites all over a plastic packet. i got speciemens and looked true the microscope and as far as i can make out they are glycyphagus domesticus (domestic mites).

Has anyone come across this before?
    Does any one any thing about the eggs?
    Should i throw out my books and clothes as wel

Thank you smile.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't know anything about these little fellas but it's the best reason I've ever heard to go shopping!!!
    Personally I would chuck/burn everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

oh lisa that sounds horrific. it also sounds like a job for the professionals. id say they ll have to come in and spray your whole house. fumigate it. some kind of pest control company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

God that sounds horrible..You should get onto the person who rented it to you for compensation.

It sounds like theses chaps Wolly Aphids, pants sorry i cant put the picture up but heres a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eriosomatinae

They feed on plant sap as far as I know. Strange buggers I get some on a plant I have indoors but dont seem to live outdoors. You can get a bug spray to use on the plants but the only thing is they come back the odd time. I have used the spray on the plant and also washed down the area where it is with bleach or something and they still come back but not as bad..

If this isnt them do you have a picture perhaps I have two great bug books here I could look them up for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sorry I jumped the gun I just saw that you got a name for them. Really sounds like a horrible ordeal. I would chuck the food etc and call pest control company those little buggers breed like rabbits id say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

lisa085 wrote: »
    Hey there smile.gif,

I moved into a house which hadnt been lived in for a year all was great the first few weeks, then when the heating was turned on, i turned on my lap top and they were tiny, white, (half the size of book lice) walking around all over the laptop (approx 150) when i hovered them out more kept coming out the venting holes. looked on my desk, pvc window, which looked new, was covered in aproxx 1000 of them, then found them on lamp, head board, mirror, bedside table, all plastic objects including hair brush, moisturizer toothbrush etc. I unscrewed the head of a hair spray bottle and they had climbed into the hair spray. Noticed a few on shoes and clothes.

I moved out and through every thing out except my phone and purse which i froze for 3 days (dont know how it is stil working) and books i microwaves and then baked in the oven at 200 degrees C. Clothes i boiled at 90.

The kitchen of the house didnt seem invested when i investigated, so i brought the food into my new house and just today i found mites all over a plastic packet. i got speciemens and looked true the microscope and as far as i can make out they are glycyphagus domesticus (domestic mites).

Has anyone come across this before?
    Does any one any thing about the eggs?
    Should i throw out my books and clothes as wel

Thank you smile.gif
    Dust mites are not as visible to the naked eye to the degree that you described. You have an infestation to the extreme for sure though. Contact Threshold first for advice: http://www.threshold.ie/ Describe your dillema.

The landlord has clearly failed to maintain and provide a property that is up to any kind of acceptable standard (this is extreme). Take advice from Threshold and possibly take the landlord to court if he refuses to act...(threaten at the v.least) to get a reaction / stroke compensation. He may not be aware of the situation though so worth at least giving him / her a chance to act.

In the meantime visit your local chemist with a sample? Get some kind of spray to treat immediate areas like sleeping areas etc so that you can at least get a nights sleep without literally worrying about the bed bugs biting!!

Hope the situation improves. It is absolutely unacceptable for any person having to live in this kind of environment. Ps I wonder if you are actually dealing with an infestation of 'silverfish' (Lepisma saccharina)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

This happened at my sisters previous house. It was awful. she had to chuck out ALL her food. bleach everything over and over again for days and boiling all the clothes, they were literally in every nook and cranny.

Never found out what they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lisa085

Thanks everyone for messages. Just got all my deposit back and 200 euro for loses even tho the landlord still cant see the mites! but he must be doing if he gave me money for losses! I just hope he gets someone in before the next tenant moves in, wouldnt wish it on anyone. It is visible to the eye also most like salt size maybe a tiny bit smaller and the baby eggs look like flour and the move ever so slowly usually around in a big circle! they live off mould and fungi and flour, thats why ive learnt people sieve flour, but the sieve would need to be quite small!! It can cause itchy rash- which i didnt get, researching further into it, eating the mites in food stuffs can cause stomach upset, trigger asthma and Grocer's itch syndrome. One of the other tenants in the house has had hives since she moved in but the landlord said he got some of the other tenants to look of the mites and they couldnt see anything, but all my brothers and sisters saw them so it must be a good eyesight gene we have!! :)
    Just paranoied that they'll come back to my new house.
    Enjoy your day!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Not sure if it's the same mite but I had an outbreak in a new house a few years back of small white mites and when I rang one or two pest control places one guy said they are a type of lice thriving in damp conditions. I remembered I had a shower leak in the new house and some walls got soaked. He recommended that I get an industrial sized de-humidifier and run it over the weekend to dry out the house and it would kill them off.
    Worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bridget75

Hi there, I am slowly being driven mad by an outbreak of these tiny white mites too, they are mostly in my kitchen ( i think!) I blitzed the place at the weekend, took everything out, threw out any open foods so I only have tinned goods left in the presses, i washed all plates etc in the dish washer and cleaned out every press with a bleach based product, but they are still there, i have a grey/silver fridge so i can see them on the door of that, last night i cleaned out the presses again but they were back this morning, any ideas to get rid of them once and for all. @ Sham2, i have had damp/condensation problems before in the apartment but i got that sorted out but there is no sign of it in the kitchen, did you need the dehumidifier for long??

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Bridget75 wrote: »
    Hi there, I am slowly being driven mad by an outbreak of these tiny white mites too, they are mostly in my kitchen ( i think!) I blitzed the place at the weekend, took everything out, threw out any open foods so I only have tinned goods left in the presses, i washed all plates etc in the dish washer and cleaned out every press with a bleach based product, but they are still there, i have a grey/silver fridge so i can see them on the door of that, last night i cleaned out the presses again but they were back this morning, any ideas to get rid of them once and for all. @ Sham2, i have had damp/condensation problems before in the apartment but i got that sorted out but there is no sign of it in the kitchen, did you need the dehumidifier for long??

Bridget
    I just had it for a weekend in a three bedroomed semi. It was a large one about the size of a rubbish bin. €50 for the weekend I think. It sucked buckets of water out of thin air. Probably need a smaller one in an apartment. They feed off mould from damp. No damp means no mould means no lice. They are probably wood or book lice. Harmless but very annoying. They look like white/transparent bloodsuckers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement