Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Knights

Options
  • 02-11-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Death Knights are brilliant when played properly... some of the best tanks I know are... But is it just me or does anyone else find it hard to believe that people have them as there mains? Its like there a Alt class (welfare class even) ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I went with a DK as a main in wotlk until I moved server, enjoyed it all the way to 80 and through heroic dungeons.

Transfered it over and while enjoying some initial raiding, melee dps just isnt for me.

The class also has a bad rep for people simply starting at 55 to get another quick 80, and not having a clue about the class at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

boring day at work ? or just home without anything to do ? whats so hard to believe that someone wants to have one as a main. i know two people in my guild using them as main's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Onslaught

Oh I know many.. and some friends also .. Once played right they are such a good class too have in you're group .. I agree they have a bad name for been a "quick 80" but I've messed about with a few DK's in the past and I don't know what it is .. Its like.. there not a proper class? but they are... It just feels that way for me.. Not saying its bad to have one as you're main

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I know what your saying, very few people use them as mains, its most people " project alt" since it starts at level 55.

I've seen very few good DKs, one good tank, some decent dpsers but meh, cant say I've seen one pushing near top of meters or anything

Im happy to see that I out dps most rogues in icc where as before my sloppy rotation did me no favours.. Im loving this patch and have my warr pretty decent for once since TBC .. Our guilds main off tank is a DK .. very very good .. all depends on the player ofc .. but all I was trying to say was.. I could not see myself coming to level a dk to 80 ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Onslaught wrote: »
    Im happy to see that I out dps most rogues in icc where as before my sloppy rotation did me no favours.. Im loving this patch and have my warr pretty decent for once since TBC .. Our guilds main off tank is a DK .. very very good .. all depends on the player ofc .. but all I was trying to say was.. I could not see myself coming to level a dk to 80 ..

Prior to 4.0 I out dpsed everything in ICC and after the patch Im still in the top 3 per boss fight and 1st or 2nd overall.

My original main was a Feral Druid but once I tried a dps DK that's been my main every since tho. Iv recently leveled and geared up a Hunter alt to full T10 to kill time waiting on Cata :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

I've got my DK as my Main, don't see why I shouldn't, for Wotlk I never left the top 2/3 for DPS on any Raid, this new patch has brought us back a bit with a Priority system more effective now with the new patch.

I laugh when I see/hear people say DK's don't know how to play their class, such a MASSIVE generalisation. So they started at 55? You can level any class to 60 now in less than 15 or so hours playing time, probably less, can't quite remember. And what exactly marks them down as "knowing" their class over a DK?

All that said, I have come across my fair share of utter idiots playing the class, then again, what class hasn't these days?

Its the same with every class and I know many great DK's .. All I was saying is I find it very hard to stick with one ... Just doesn't seem to stick for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Comedian

Up until recently I mained a DK tank and I do it for the very reasons you describe, because most people are really bad at DK tanking.

I`ve stuck with it as a main because DK numbers seem to be at an all time low, certainly in the tanking stakes and this will only reduce further for cata

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

My DK is my main, what a great DPS he was at the start of wrath and into ICC, but somehow without my knwoedlge he is now a glorious tank!

could you describe what you think a main should be? I have 3 chars, going to ICC every week, all equaly geared(all of them have 251+ items notin lower) however for all the other tasks(such as achivements, farming ect i would use my DK so I would presume that would be my main.)

for the people, yes i had and raided with all the 3 chars from start of wrath till now, sometimes subsituting them when needed in raids ect.

• Advertisement

you're main should be the classyou most enjoy and if thats a DK well then go for it :) all I meant to say was.. has anyone else struggled to take on leveling one? I just cant seem to pull myself round to getting one over the 72 mark :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got to lvl58 with my Death Knight, then left it. Just didnt really enjoy the class when i tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

My first main was a hunter, who i sucked with really bad in pvp and pve. Ive been told their one of the easiest classes to play - not for me though.

I had a dk as my main now for over a year. Started him off as a dps, now he is a tank. Since the last patch im finding it harder to keep aoe aggro (he is bloodhttp://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodfeather&cn=Stinkymunkey).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I think, if I'm right in this thinking, that Blizzard are pushing people back to the old (and imo the best) way of tanking in that you concentrate more on single target tanking rather than AOE pack pulls. The problem is, in the state the game is now with certain dps classes way overpowered and trigger happy to rip stuff apart, it's harder on a tank to keep packs together when they're being ripped apart by dps who don't give a care about what actual target the tank is concentrating on.
    So, in fairness, I think you're probably doing perfectly fine, it's just those you're running with don't give a damn about what they dps :)
    Just mark your targets, do your job and let the dps die, not your fault they just reigned down dps without giving a care to the threat they were causing.
    If you're running with a decent healer, they wouldn't bother ressing the dps either, let them fly/walk back in enough times until they learn.

I'm looking forward to when instances aren't just AOE spam again. Using proper CC (sheep, sap etc) for regular pulls was much better, even if it did take much longer for an instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kiith wrote: »
    I got to lvl58 with my Death Knight, then left it. Just didnt really enjoy the class when i tried it.

FFS dude that like getting to level 4 of a normal class and thinking its sucks imho.

Venom wrote: »
    FFS dude that like getting to level 4 of a normal class and thinking its sucks imho.

haha .. Yeah true.. when they first came out and op and I got one to 60 and geared him out in ZG/MC gear and camped AV got bored with it after awhile then and leveled it some more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I'm guilty of this as well, the problem I found was that no matter how badly you played, everything worked sicn eyou were so well geared for the first while, facerolling was sufficient, so I never figured out the mechanics properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I levelled my DK to 80 in LK and I absolutley loved it.
    I tanked most for the way from 70-80 as DW frost and it was just pure fun. Had no complaints, nobody moaned or "ffs'd"

When I hit 80 though, it kinda changed...tanking, while doable was quite tough, especially with a mediocre healer, so I semi-retired her!

Hoping to tank in Cata when it comes. With the dedicated tanking tree, I'm hoping it's gonna be a bit more streamlined!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I think, if I'm right in this thinking, that Blizzard are pushing people back to the old (and imo the best) way of tanking in that you concentrate more on single target tanking rather than AOE pack pulls. The problem is, in the state the game is now with certain dps classes way overpowered and trigger happy to rip stuff apart, it's harder on a tank to keep packs together when they're being ripped apart by dps who don't give a care about what actual target the tank is concentrating on.
    So, in fairness, I think you're probably doing perfectly fine, it's just those you're running with don't give a damn about what they dps :)
    Just mark your targets, do your job and let the dps die, not your fault they just reigned down dps without giving a care to the threat they were causing.
    If you're running with a decent healer, they wouldn't bother ressing the dps either, let them fly/walk back in enough times until they learn.

Thats pretty much it tbh, before patch it wasnt as important for ppl to target the tanks target in hc's. That and now there are alot of dps who think doing a hc fast means aggroing before the tank.

Give me lowbies in greens and blues any day over ppl with 6k gs and an attitude problem.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »

It was more to do with me being sick of melee dps i think. I'd levelled a Pally and a Rogue already, and just wasnt up for more melee.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Gotta a 70 DK that i keep meaning to level up. Planning on using it as a tank when i eventually level it to 85. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Einstein wrote: »
    I levelled my DK to 80 in LK and I absolutley loved it.
    I tanked most for the way from 70-80 as DW frost and it was just pure fun. Had no complaints, nobody moaned or "ffs'd"

When I hit 80 though, it kinda changed...tanking, while doable was quite tough, especially with a mediocre healer, so I semi-retired her!

Hoping to tank in Cata when it comes. With the dedicated tanking tree, I'm hoping it's gonna be a bit more streamlined!

was the exact same as this for me too, ot in raids was fine but mt was a bit difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

is dk gonna be best class in cata

Advertisement