Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS in Zencart

Options
  • 02-11-2010 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi, can someone tell me how to open my CSS file on my zencart website. I can't see it on my admin page and I can find the relavent onfo on the zencart website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Look in the includes/templates/<template_name>/css directory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 keep_runnin

Would I be right in saying you enter that directory in after your domain name? that doesn't seem to be working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Would I be right in saying you enter that directory in after your domain name? that doesn't seem to be working for me.
    Yes, that should allow you view the stylesheet, but not edit it.
    BTW, "<template_name>" is replaced by the name of your template.

If you provide a link to your website I will look at the html source code and give you the link.

What are you trying to achieve?

Hi, I've figured it out since, now I've got the css file open in dreamweaver, how do I save the changes to the live website?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You apply whatever changes you are making to the CSS file, save it, and then upload it to the same place you got it using an FTP client.

• Advertisement

Ok, so I changed the backround colour code in the code window, I went File/ Save To Remote Server/ then replaced the existing stylesheet.css with the new one. Should the changes be made immediatly to my live website?

They should take immediate effect (see point number 5)

What I would do is the following.

1) Download the stylesheet you want to edit (say it's called "style.css" or global.css or something like that).

2) Make the edits. If you are handy with css it would be something along the lines of #divName {background:#fff;} but it seems you have figure it out.

3) Save (via file>save or shift and s) the css file under the same name (e.g. style.css) - don't use save to remote server.

4) Upload the css file using an FTP client like Filezilla. You can transfer files via Dreamweaver but it is messy. Far better to do it with a dedicated FTP client. It might look intimidating if you havent seen it before but you only have to enter in 3 pieces of info (host name, user name and password) to connect to a server. After that it's just a case of dragging and dropping the file from your computer into the correct folder on the server.

5) To view any edits you make might require you to clear the cashe of your browser (usually selecting "clear history for the last hour" will suffice). I know this is the case in FF. A restart it might also do the trick. Chrome and IE7/8 you can simply hit refresh, I believe.

Thanks for your help so far.

One more question, there are 2 stylesheet.css files, one in the folder template_default and one in the folder theme_047, which one must I edit?

I'm not sure to be honest. I would have to know more about the file structure. If you are using Firefox (not sure what it is in other browsers) you can view the source code by holding ctrl and u when you are looking at your page. This will open a new source code tab. Near the top of this you will find reference to the css file you want to edit. (Note: sometimes there are multiple css files.) You can click into the css file from here to view it in detail, which should tell you if you are applying the changes to the correct one.

examplec.gif

Alternatively, you could do it the difficult way and make a minor edit - say change the background colour to something unmissable - and see if you takes hold.

Advertisement