Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First ever self assessment

Options
  • 02-11-2010 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

so myself and a few friends started a company in 2009 but it only got incorporated in March 2010. I had done work for the company from September 2009 to March 2010 and during this time, I have been told, that I was effectively self employed and contracting for the company.

I have had an accountant go over the details and he has filled out a Form 12 return for the period September 2009 to December 2009. However, I rang the Revenue yesterday as I just realised that my return was late and they said to fill out a Form 11.

I'm going to call into the Revenues office on O Connell Street today to try to get this sorted out but would really appreciate any advice that anyone could give me on the subject, ie. Do I need a Form 11 or 12? Do I need to do a return for the months worked Jan- March 2010 yet?

Im a complete noob at this so feeling a little lost at the moment!

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sawilson2003

You need to File Form 11 for Sep09-Dec09 (was due 31st October 2010), Form 12 only applies to Employees, Pensioners & Non Proprietry Directors.

Jan-Mar 10 is part of your 2010 Income and not due until 31st October 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gearoidoc

I should have mentioned that I'm now back working as a PAYE employee.

The accountant I spoke to said to treat it as an additional income and that there would be no point in declaring myself as a sole trader for 6 month....is he right?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

This all centres around whether or not you are a proprietary director who holds >15% of the share capital. If this is the case you are automatically subject to self assessment and must complete Form 11. Has the company ceased trading?

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

gearoidoc wrote: »
    Hi,

so myself and a few friends started a company in 2009 but it only got incorporated in March 2010. I had done work for the company from September 2009 to March 2010 and during this time,

Hi you can't start a company until its incorporated. You can't have worked for the company until it existed. So you must have been self employed.
    So you should make a return for the period Sept 09 - Mar 10. If you were not required to file a return previously this return is due by 31 Oct 11 so not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

@ dbran - if he was self employed as has been suggested its a form 11, forget the 15% stuff.

@ AShore - +1 to this man. As the basis period ends in 2010 you dont need to file until 31/10/11.

@ gearoidic - get a new accountant, one who knows what he is talking about and isnt getting you to misdeclare your income. Aslo you say you re now a paye worker. what happened the compay, is this still alive?

• Advertisement
Advertisement