Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this right?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I was in Dunnes Stores buying drink recently. Im 18. I was asked for ID and i took out my drivers licence and the woman said "sorry we don't take drivers licences" I said what do you take and she said garda age card or passport. I said that was crap because the garda age card is an age card not an ID, and its supposed to be illegal to bring a passport around with you unless necessary (ye drinking is neccesary haha:rolleyes:) She said sorry I can't. I walked off angry and sober :(

So should I have got the manager or what should I have done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Ya thats been in with a while now. Fuck them tbh just buy your drink somewhere else, it's their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Have heard loads of complaints bout that.

Go to the off licence, it's your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Once you didn't give the cashier attitude for doing her job then it sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You're too young to be drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Aldi only accept age cards :mad: Really stupid and annoying, is it enforced on them by the law or is it their own decision to enforce these rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The rare time I have been asked ID in Dunnes, they took my driver's licence anyway. Hasn't happened recently though due to my old age

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

You're too old to be on boards?
    Wolf Club wrote: »
    Aldi only accept age cards :mad:

Hmmm didn't know that, i thought they accepted drivers licences and passports too, definately thought passports anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Technically they don't have to sell you anything.

Just give your business to someone else.

Illegal to carry around passports? -News to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I thought Garda ID's were for buying drink???? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

The Agogo wrote: »
    Technically they don't have to sell you anything.

Just give your business to someone else.

Illegal to carry around passports? -News to me...

which means she would not being doing her job or would be doing a bad job which would be sackable. (for not selling anything)

also.... illegal to carry a passport with you ? are you for real ?

are you telling me if a garda decided to randomly search me on the street and found my passport in my pocket i'd get fined or something ?

BS on that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

SOT: It's about time they started making decent Irish driving licences.
    It's embarrassing pulling out a piece of pink paper when your asked for I.D. abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

no he's not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bmw535d wrote: »
    no he's not!

Whooosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

*sobs* i know longer need any sort of id to buy beer:(:( so give over your complaining ya whippersnaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dunes store suck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's a silly situation brought on by our crappy driving licences. We should have a credit card size hard licence and not this ridiculous piece of paper that falls apart so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

This happened to me in Tesco in the Omni only a few days back.
    I stood my ground and asked to see a manager as it's illegal to turn down a form of state ID solely because of the form of ID (in this case, a driver's license). She came over, said "that's not a driver's license!" She had obviously never seen one before. I got my uncle to pull his (license :p) out too and she went off to her manager to see if it was ok.
    Eventually I got my cans anyway.
    Should have asked to see a manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I stood my ground and asked to see a manager as it's illegal to turn down a form of state ID solely because of the form of ID (in this case, a driver's license). She came over, said "that's not a driver's license!" She had obviously never seen one before. I got my uncle to pull his (license :p) out too and she went off to her manager to see if it was ok.

What part of legislation is that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

That's not true at all. It is at the discretion of the store, if they don't want to sell it to you because you only have a drivers licence they are perfectly within their rights.

If there's one thing I hate it's someone creating a scene in a shop purely to get their own way regardless of whether they are right or not. And I'm afraid in this case you were wrong but the manager probably let it slide to avoid a bigger confrontation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

She was right, get over it!

We used this all the time on people we didn't want to serve in pubs. Travellers being the main target as they generally don't have them ;)

Sorry I can't take anything else lads, the boss will be breathing down my neck. Off you go, bye bye.

That's not true at all. It is at the discretion of the store, if they don't want to sell it to you because you only have a drivers licence they are perfectly within their rights.
    sesna wrote: »
    What part of legislation is that from?

Can't find the legislation, sorry. But I actually went up to a lecturer at the start of this term (I'm studying law) asking about this as I had been turned away from a bar because I didn't have an agecard or passport, only my license. That's exactly what he said to me. Quoted a statutory instrument to me but I can't remember what it was.

Just to note something; they're perfectly within their right to turn it down if they believe it to be fake (although only a gardai can actually say it's fake) so it would be very easy for them to turn you down anyway, and because of that, the SI is one that doesn't really have much practicality, similar to how a gardai can't make you let them search your person unless they suspect you're carrying drugs/weapons etc. it's very easy for them to say that's exactly what they suspect and so you have to comply.
    easyeason3 wrote: »
    If there's one thing I hate it's someone creating a scene in a shop purely to get their own way regardless of whether they are right or not. And I'm afraid in this case you were wrong but the manager probably let it slide to avoid a bigger confrontation.

FYI I didn't create any kind of scene, I quietly asked to see the manager and moved off to the side so other people in the queue could get their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I thought Garda ID's were for buying drink???? :confused:
    You only have to have a Garda ID if you're under 25. So what happens if you're over 25 and they ask you for ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

squod wrote: »
    Dunes store suck

Apparently, a lot worse than Dunnes.

Can't find the legislation, sorry. But I actually went up to a lecturer at the start of this term (I'm studying law) asking about this as I had been turned away from a bar because I didn't have an agecard or passport, only my license. That's exactly what he said to me. Quoted a statutory instrument to me but I can't remember what it was.

FYI I didn't create any kind of scene, I quietly asked to see the manager and moved off to the side so other people in the queue could get their stuff.

You must be one of the few people that understands a bit of discretion so. I've witnessed many a shop assistant/ manager get bawled at because someone wasn't getting their own way. Never a nice situation for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thats the most confusin thing you've ever posted.
    Sarcastic?
    Serious?
    Pedantic?
    Piss takin...

Hmmm....im goin with 'avin a laugh knowin you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

anniehoo wrote: »
    Thats the most confusin thing you've ever posted.
    Sarcastic?
    Serious?
    Pedantic?
    Piss takin...

Hmmm....im goin with 'avin a laugh knowin you :p

I'd go with all of the above tbh.
    Bar Serious..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It's a silly situation brought on by our crappy driving licences. We should have a credit card size hard licence and not this ridiculous piece of paper that falls apart so easily.
    Our licences are fúcking ridiculous. It's like we're stuck in the 1940s tbh.

We were meant to adopt the EU licence in 1996 but I'm not really sure why it didn't happen.

Anyway under Directive 2006/126/EC we have to have them all replaced starting in 2013.
    The Directive stipulates that Members States should adopt laws implementing the Directive no later than 19 January 2011. Those laws should take effect in all EU Members States on 19 January 2013. All licences issued before that date will become invalid by 2033.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

ArseLtd wrote: »
    I was in Dunnes Stores buying drink recently. Im 18. I was asked for ID and i took out my drivers licence and the woman said "sorry we don't take drivers licences" I said what do you take and she said garda age card or passport. I said that was crap because the garda age card is an age card not an ID, and its supposed to be illegal to bring a passport around with you unless necessary (ye drinking is neccesary haha:rolleyes:) She said sorry I can't. I walked off angry and sober :(

So should I have got the manager or what should I have done?

You would've walked off sober even if you'd got the drink; unless you planned on skullin' the lot at the check-out.

• Advertisement

easyeason3 wrote: »
    You must be one of the few people that understands a bit of discretion so. I've witnessed many a shop assistant/ manager get bawled at because someone wasn't getting their own way. Never a nice situation for anyone.

Oh I know what you mean... spent a year and a half suffering for my sins (part time) in penneys... 99% of the time they are completely wrong too.

Advertisement