Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

death, marriage and dying

Options
  • 01-11-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

as i cant fine an appropriate place to put this ill pop it in here:

so hi guys

This is a bit of a weird and perhaps morbid question but I’m hoping you can answer it for me.

OK I got married in civil ceremony and I consider it that Ireland married me not the church and not god.

I don’t believe in organised religion and don’t believe that today’s religion is anywhere near the point it should be but that’s another story for another day.

So back to the question,

I choose a non religious marriage with no priest how do I organise a non religious funeral with no church and no priest involved? Is there such a thing? Is it cheaper? what are the benefits if such a thing exists??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I am curious as well given I too am part of the atheist master race

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Only guessing you go from funeral home to graveyard or cremation. Skip the church part.

Try soc forum, there is atheist forum under religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Gneez wrote: »
    I am curious as well given I too am part of the atheist master race
    Im not an atheist i just believe that if god did exist then his idea and message is soo far removed from modern day society that he has long abandoned us also there were many other god before the big C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

OP, the good people in the Christianity forum might be able to give you an answer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

make sure your family are aware of what you want, put it in writing. Are you thinking about cremation ?

http://www.rip.ie/menu.asp?menu=345

This might be helpful !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Easy to organise but you do need to let your family know about your wishes or they might just go ahead with the "normal" funeral. I've been to funeral which went straight from funeral home to the graveyard - there was no problems in organising it and no prayers or anything said apart from a lovely poem at the grave. There's also a new burial site in Wexford (or Wicklow, can't remember which) for burial in a natural setting - no embalming, no headstones, etc and trees planted in a woodland setting afterwards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Afaik the Humanist Society can help with a secular memorial ceremony. If you think your family would appreciate having a third party to organise that side of things you can get in contact with them, work something out and put it in your will.

Advertisement