Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(US) Dexter Season 5 Episode 6 - "Everything is Illumenated" (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Options
  • 01-11-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

From wikipedia:
    Striving to bring some normalcy back into his shattered life, Dexter figures the answer lies in finding a new serial killer to bring down, but his quest gets thrown off course when his troubled new acquaintance requires his help. Meanwhile, Batista uncovers a revealing new lead in the Santa Muerte homicides, and Quinn gets a tip about Dexter, but is not sure he can trust his source.

Just watched it there. Nice and action packed compared to the last few weeks. Definitely better than last week's episode.

What did you think of 'Everything is Illumenated'? 49 votes

Excellent
    0%
    Pretty Good
    28%
    antodSherifualanc2003MadPatricksweetieThe GnomemissingtimeDr. Baltarshano_88Daithi07LandyaddictKylo RenSeosaimh77Yo soy el burro 14 votes
    Average
    53%
    [Deleted User]oklageorgieMJ-blkRon DMCstrobeevil_seedTristramRVD420AmtmannPeyton ManningbudhabobFearDarkclaivaBlackhorse SlimRich1691No1XtinaFanniallkSDTimeoutAstrobotty 26 votes
    Not great
    8%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarOur man in Havanatvnutzlaugh 4 votes
    Awful
    10%
    Karl HungusStark[Deleted User]pwdStercus Accidit 5 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Average
    Big improvment this week, Stiles was excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Average
    Enjoyed it a lot. Had me at the edge of my seat at times!

Thought the scenes between Dex and Lumen were very mechanical though. They don't seem to have any chemistry between each other.

Lol'd when Dex said "Its luminol.....no relation"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Average
    Laughed when Dex put her in the naughty corner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

Thought it was pretty poor to be honest. Nothing progressed really, the biggest thing was Deb and Quinn, that'll be huge when Quinn gets closer. Thought all the Lumen stuff was bad, I quite like Stiles but her character sure does grate...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Not great
    Good episode I thought, Funniest part was Masuka describing through visual means what he thought happened at the crime scene!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Awful
    I don't think Stiles is a good actress, and I find her very annoying. The developing alliance between her and Dexter is a bit cringey.

When Masuka and the police were tracing the same trail of blood Dexter followed, they should have noticed that most of it was luminous blue. Then finding Dexter standing over the corpses should have raised a lot of questions. The guy running from Dexter should have called out when he saw them walking close too I think.

The rapist/kidnapper looked like he was going to get away. Dexter was tending his wounds and looking very unconvinced by Lumen's crazy-sounding assertions. Then for no reason at all he dooms himself by raving that she's for it. Makes no sense.

Dexter is superhumanly strong, the way he broke the guys neck with just a backward flick of his wrist.

Masuka thinks that losing a pint of blood could typically be fatal.

Dexter left his original victim not properly restrained, and knew his drug was wearing off. Tie him up, administer more of the drug, or just kill him no?

I don't think anyone cares at all about the soap operatics of Angel and LaGuerta.

Masuka's gesticulations were hilarious. Not so much comic relief as embodying the ridiculousness of the episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Average
    Really thought we were going to have a books esque moment when Deb finds out about Dexter.

Good episode, an improvement but still Dexter is getting sloppy. Sets it up interestingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Average
    While I enjoyed that episode (and just about every other episode of Dexter :P), some of the stuff that pwd mentioned really made things a bit silly, particularly
    Then finding Dexter standing over the corpses should have raised a lot of questions. The guy running from Dexter should have called out when he saw them walking close too I think.
    and the fact that Dexter managed to pull his would-be victim out of sight so damn fast - while I wouldn't expect Dexter being caught out like that, it seemed completely absurd.
    Dexter left his original victim not properly restrained, and knew his drug was wearing off.
    Well, that could be explained by Dexter's sloppiness (IMO) this season, between the Truddell(?) Bridge guy, and killing that guy in the bathroom in the first episode (I think). I certainly hope it doesn't continue - while the added suspense is nice (seeing Dexter get away with murder, literally, all the time is a tad repetitive, so I like that things are not always going according to plan all the time), I don't feel that it's ever going to amount to anything.

Awful
    Sorry, but this season is absolute pants so far. I loathe Julia Stiles and her character. The Nanny is absolutely useless, the sheer cringe when Debra says, " promise me this won't end bad" (Or whatever she said, it was along those lines) to Quinn. Robocop having about ten lines so far sucks. The, "oh-oh, Angel's doing the dirt" thing, was beyond rubbish.

Poorest episode ever. Lumen's absolutely terrible acting has a lot to do with it.

Oh, and one more thing. Dude is dying, wouldn't he ring someone and say, "I'm down the docks, dying. Come here and get me" Instead of just saying "That last bitch shot me and is still alive"

sweet jesus, that episode drove me demented!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Pretty Good
    Stiles acting aside, this episode was brilliant I thought.

Some really really funny and tense moments.

"Whats he hiding"
    "Peek a boo"

Debs reaction to the scene that dexter left was priceless.

All in all a solid 9/10 - didnt like lumens scene at the end. All i was thinking is they should have got christina ricci.

• Advertisement

Awful
    The series is suffering from the lack of a developed villain imo. I read that would be the case when it started, but hoped that it would mean a greater focus on Dexter's character development, or even him moving into the villain role. The character of Dexter is getting boring, which is a shame. The series is becoming quite gimmicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Pretty Good
    Really enjoyed this episode.

Between Dexter getting sloppy and Lumen distracting him it has set up some great tension.

"Hey guys, you'll never guess what I found in here"

followed by Masukas gesticulations

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Lumen's mobile phone should now have a number for whoever the other guys are right? Since that dude called them to say she was still alive, and I assume either Dexter or Lumen would have picked it up after.

Dexter has traced people through some pretty outlandish means, surely he can trace a phone number? Too convenient?

[edit]That's actually a kinda glaring plot hole if it's left ignored. Surely we're not supposed to assume that the guy she shot erased the call history before he choked it, certainly didn't look like he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Average
    Good episode, Masuka's theatrics alone made up for last week, but I can't stand Lumen, when I read in the summer that Stiles was in season 5 , I knew she would be ****t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Awful
    pwd wrote: »
    I don't think Stiles is a good actress, and I find her very annoying. The developing alliance between her and Dexter is a bit cringey.

When Masuka and the police were tracing the same trail of blood Dexter followed, they should have noticed that most of it was luminous blue. Then finding Dexter standing over the corpses should have raised a lot of questions. The guy running from Dexter should have called out when he saw them walking close too I think.

The rapist/kidnapper looked like he was going to get away. Dexter was tending his wounds and looking very unconvinced by Lumen's crazy-sounding assertions. Then for no reason at all he dooms himself by raving that she's for it. Makes no sense.

Dexter is superhumanly strong, the way he broke the guys neck with just a backward flick of his wrist.

Masuka thinks that losing a pint of blood could typically be fatal.

Dexter left his original victim not properly restrained, and knew his drug was wearing off. Tie him up, administer more of the drug, or just kill him no?

I don't think anyone cares at all about the soap operatics of Angel and LaGuerta.

Masuka's gesticulations were hilarious. Not so much comic relief as embodying the ridiculousness of the episode though.

A perfect summary, it felt like a bad slap stick at times and unbelievable for the rest of it, that man would surely have called the police, rather than ramble his confession out loud.

Very poor writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Average
    I never laughed so much during a Dexter episode. From "Die die" to the naked guy running away with strips of plastic trailing behind him. In fact, it might have been the perfect way for Dexter to finally get caught. But no.

This didn't feel like a Dexter episode. At all. Did I enjoy it? Yes. For the right reasons? No.

More plot holes and absurdity. I'm re-watching season 2 at the moment and it's so far ahead this episode looks like a parody compared to it.
    :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Average
    I enjoyed this episode a lot more than last week but the "Dexter-almost-getting-caught" angle has been done to death at this stage. Pwd's post is spot on and there were far too many holes in the way the rapist and Dexter's original mark were killed... Debra is indeed a pretty inept detective for just buying Masuka's theory and Dexter weakly backing it up, just like that.

And Dexter now fully siding with Lumen seems out of place too... Sure, she was right this time, but as he himself argued, all she was going on was her feelings and sense of smell - she could easily end up killing the wrong people soon enough.

Unless they pull all the various threads together to some amazing conclusion, I still don't see this season having any particular direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Average
    Furet wrote: »
    I never laughed so much during a Dexter episode. From "Die die" to the naked guy running away with strips of plastic trailing behind him. In fact, it might have been the perfect way for Dexter to finally get caught. But no.

This didn't feel like a Dexter episode. At all. Did I enjoy it? Yes. For the right reasons? No.

More plot holes and absurdity. I'm re-watching season 2 at the moment and it's so far ahead this episode looks like a parody compared to it.
    :(:(:(

I have to completely agree with the above, there were many laugh-out-loud moments for me throughout this episode. I think perhaps we were overdue an episode like this but as has been said it was parody. So far this season has been somewhat disappointing plot-wise, but then again we can't have a Big Bad every season I suppose, and sometimes it feels as though a lot of it has been done to death. No pun intended.

This season I feel should be focusing on Dexter's character development and to an extent the episodes so far have been delivering this. I always rated Stiles as a great actress, I think she's very versatile, and have been enjoying her so far. That scene from the last episode where she's getting searched in the airport made me cringe, feel compassion and empathy for her and I could understand her reaction and why she couldn't get on the plane. For me that's a sign of a good actress and a well acted scene.

The relationship between Lumen and Dexter will continue to grow. If we've learned anything from Dexter's curiosity and previous mistakes it's that he seems to be constantly seeking out companions he sees elements of himself in. His Dark Passenger likes company. I don't see Lumen going anywhere for the moment, but still I'm fairly sure it won't end well.

On an aside Angel chatting up the hot informant girl in the club made me feel a little queasy. I think I actually shuddered. Also the LaGuerta/Batista pseudo marriage is starting to grate on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Pretty Good
    I wouldn't be sad to see this show end after this season before it deteriorates any further. it's beginning to be a chore to watch it where it was once a pleasure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Although I enjoy almost every Dexter episode - and I enjoyed this one also - there are just too many holes in the latest episodes that makes the series unbelieveable when before that was one of the shows strengths

The crime scene that dexter manufactured was full of holes. How did the rapist in the plastic die, why didn't they check for GSR on his hands, how did he manage to shoot the other guy, then break his neck and then be killed himself. All of this and the place must be full of Lumen's finger prints

• Advertisement

Average
    Hyzepher wrote: »
    Although I enjoy almost every Dexter episode - and I enjoyed this one also - there are just too many holes in the latest episodes that makes the series unbelieveable when before that was one of the shows strengths

The crime scene that dexter manufactured was full of holes. How did the rapist in the plastic die, why didn't they check for GSR on his hands, how did he manage to shoot the other guy, then break his neck and then be killed himself.

Plus the fact that he was killed about 60 seconds prior to the police arriving. Warm body...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

God, waiting for something useful to happen in this show will eventually have me like this:
    skeleton%20tv.jpg

I think I'm ready to quit this show and wait until the season ends, this is not the TV Show I fell in love with back in season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Awful
    The whole Dexter/Lumen thing feels like the Dexter/Miguel thing all over again. And we all remember how that turned out.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Pretty Good
    Absolutely loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Average
    This season really is lacking a defined bad guy.

I think it's fair to say the two strongest series so far have been 1 and 4, and both had two "super villains". Season 1 went down the mystery route, where we don't find out who the Ice Truck Killer is until the very end, with the obvious pay off being the unmasking so to speak. Season 4 had the Trinity, and instead of a mystery, allowed us to become familiar with him to understand just how twisted he is. The pay off in this case was the clash between Dexter and Trinity once Dexter revealed that he wasn't Kyle Butler. This season, the bad guys are a couple of cult killers and some rapists. I'm sorry, but aren't they the type of characters Dexter kills for kicks and episode fillers? To have them now as the villains with what Im guessing will be a payoff where the rapists are killed and the cult guys are either arrested/killed (probably taking down a main character like Angel with them imo) is a bit crap.

Having said that, I enjoyed this episode but there were some hugely unbelievable elements What I found most ridiculous of all is when Dexter tackled the guy in the plastic about 20 or 30 feet away from Masuka, Debs and the two cops. Sure, it was dark, but the fact they didn't hear the struggle was a bit unbelievable.

Oh, and this was hilarious :D

7777m.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

This season has been a big disappointment so far. So much of it is just not believable, particularily the fact that with all the Kyle Butler stuff Dexter hasn't been caught yet. They've made a big misjudgement in the direction they have taken this season. So many plot holes, it just doesn't make sense anymore.

Towards the end of the first episode, when Dexter went missing before he returned for the funeral, I thought we were going to see a season of Dexter on the run, while all his crimes were slowly exposed. That would have been preferable and would have made more sense for me.

Awful
    seadnamac wrote: »
    Towards the end of the first episode, when Dexter went missing before he returned for the funeral, I thought we were going to see a season of Dexter on the run, while all his crimes were slowly exposed. That would have been preferable and would have made more sense for me.

Yes: Him changing his mind was one of many anti-climaxes in this series. Like him saying "I did it" and the FBI wanting to talk to him...then the first thing they say is relax it's ok we know it wasn't you.

The series started promisinglly. It looked like Dexter was becoming more random and angry in his attacks. There was suspicion and interest in him from his colleagues as well as the FBI. However they both just fizzled out, apart from ongoing interest from Quinn. His investigation is progressing at a snail's pace though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Pretty Good
    pwd wrote: »
    When Masuka and the police were tracing the same trail of blood Dexter followed, they should have noticed that most of it was luminous blue.
    Not really, Luminol fades after a while "The blue glow lasts for about 30 seconds before it fades,"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

the last episode was a big improvement imo despite the incongruencies

but

its getting to the stage were i no longer think that dexter is getting away with what he is doing because of any skill the character possesses i just think he is getting away with it because the writers say he is

now this could be because he is getting sloppy which i can understand as he seems to get more and more emotions(season one he was very cold and unemotional every season since the writers have been making him more 'human') but its getting to the point were he either needs to sort his emotions out and get on with killing or he needs to give up the killing or he needs to get caught

as he gets more and more sloppy though i wouldnt be suprised if one of the main characters(deb) finds out who he really is but dosnt turn him in and this is the kick up the ass he needs to go back to old bad ass serial killer ways

i like the possibilities that the lumen character and her story brings but i dont have faith that its going to go a way ill actually like / enjoy

deb and quinn is a bit stupid she seems to have jsut gotten these feelings out of absolutely nowhere, one episode were she sees 'cute' or endearing things he does even would have made that more believable

the bent cop who is going to be tailing dexter on quinns behalf is pretty predictable aswell no doubt dexter will look into his past and find out it within the code to kill him OR he will get in the way of whoever the main 'bad' serial killer of this series is

• Advertisement

Average
    PeakOutput wrote: »

deb and quinn is a bit stupid she seems to have jsut gotten these feelings out of absolutely nowhere, one episode were she sees 'cute' or endearing things he does even would have made that more believable

Deb and Quinn is really stupid from a consistency point of view as well.

RE Quinn: in season 4 episode 11 Quinn's girlfriend shoots herself in the head. Episode 12 occurs on the very same day as episode 11. Episode 1 of season 5 occurs that evening and the next day. Deb and Quinn hook up a maximum of two days later. So, within 48-72 hours of Quinn's girlfriend dying horrifically, he's totally over it and banging Deb. This is very unrealistic in my opinion, as is the fact that Deb got over Lundy's death so quickly (yes, Christine, Quinn's ex, used him and murdered Lundy, but you'd still be very messed up after that).

Advertisement