Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proximity Sensor issue with HTC Desire HD

Options
  • 01-11-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

As most people know there are proximity issues with the DHD. There was a software update that was meant to sort this. I never had a issue with mine until today I have the update installed by the way.

When I make a call now and I take the phone from my ear it stays black and if I press the power button it comes back but when I put the phone up to my ear again and take away it goes stays black again only this time the power button doesnt take it back pressing it only causes the screen to flash up for a split second not giving enough time to even end the call.

I am quite annoyed now as I only have the phone since last tuesday and I am strongly thinking of sending it back and changing to a different phone.
    I had a 3GS before this and never had any issues.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

I'm not even able to install the update, my phone just keeps shutting down on me when I try and install it. I rang HTC Tech support and they told me to do a factory reset and to try install the update again.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

HTCJoeSoap wrote: »
    I'm not even able to install the update, my phone just keeps shutting down on me when I try and install it. I rang HTC Tech support and they told me to do a factory reset and to try install the update again.

Well I was just onto Vodafone and I am sending it back tomorrow for a refund.
    I know most here wont like this but I will then get a Iphone 4 as they are just such less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

funnyclub wrote: »
    Well I was just onto Vodafone and I am sending it back tomorrow for a refund.
    I know most here wont like this but I will then get a Iphone 4 as they are just such less hassle.

That's an odd choice given the complaint.

That's an odd choice given the complaint.

Dont tell me it suffers with the same issue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dont tell me it suffers with the same issue :(

Outside of antennagate it was probably the biggest issue with the device. Anyone I know with one who have had problems, said that it's much better - although not fixed - since the update.

• Advertisement

Outside of antennagate it was probably the biggest issue with the device. Anyone I know with one who have had problems, said that it's much better - although not fixed - since the update.

Great what to do now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Apparently inserting a headphone into the port will unlock the phone after black-out http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/10/19/desire-hd-stricken-with-proximity-sensor-issues/

Baza210 wrote: »
    Apparently inserting a headphone into the port will unlock the phone after black-out http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/10/19/desire-hd-stricken-with-proximity-sensor-issues/

Mine does unlock after a few minutes but thats not the point nor is the fact inserting the headphones it should not be happening.

Pretty ****ed off now as the phone hasnt had a issue since and I got my silicon cover in the post today and its sweet fits great and it cost feck all.
    Vodafone are sending a courier out tomorrow to take the phone back not sure what to do whether to keep it in the hope it doesnt happen again or theres another software update or return it for refund and get a different phone all together.

What do you guys think?

Installed the update as instructed by HTC Support, all is now working. Their number is: +353-1-6968474 but its routed through to the UK so was speaking to some English dude.
    And also, I've noticed that the signal level has improved since the update, so I'm keeping it now as I was half thinking up to yesterday just to bring it back.

• Advertisement

Installed the update as instructed by HTC Support, all is now working. Their number is: +353-1-6968474 but its routed through to the UK so was speaking to some English dude.
    And also, I've noticed that the signal level has improved since the update, so I'm keeping it now as I was half thinking up to yesterday just to bring it back.

Mine had no issues for nearly a week and then the proximity sensor started acting up.

Was that after you installed the update ?

Was that after you installed the update ?

I installed the update the day after I got my phone. I didnt get the issue till yesterday.

I'd give HTC Support a quick ring to see what they say. Now I'm worried, I'll freak out if I have any more issues, I bought the phone outright for 479 euro in Vodafone in Blanch.

I'd give HTC Support a quick ring to see what they say. Now I'm worried, I'll freak out if I have any more issues, I bought the phone outright for 479 euro in Vodafone in Blanch.

Just rang HTC and was speaking to some English dude who wasn't very helpful at all. I basically wanted to know if it was a hardware or software issue and he said the dev. team are working on a fix and there should be a patch soon.

Now I am stuck thinking whether I should take a replacement DHD with the hope they have sorted it or change to something else.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and hold on to it as the phones release was delayed initially anyway due to Google's insistence of exhaustive quality testing, but obviously somethings slip through the net.
    A mate of mine told me there was a similar issue with the iphone4 when it came out and they released an update which sorted it. So I'm going to wait and see what happens regarding updates etc.

Turns out Vodafone are sending my desire hd back out to me saying their engineers found nothing wrong with my phone. I was must of been imagining the proximity sensor issue :rolleyes:
    Anyway supposedly the proximity sensor issues have been sorted with the latest upgrade and my plan was if they refunded me I was going to buy a brand new one again due to them dropping around 40 euro in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Installed an update this morning but only got the phone on Saturday and I'm still having the same problem, what software number ect. should i have now if its the right update?

DGRulz wrote: »
    Installed an update this morning but only got the phone on Saturday and I'm still having the same problem, what software number ect. should i have now if its the right update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Damn. Did it not work for anyone else??

Any news on another update?

• Advertisement

Now love my Desire HD - all updates installed - I've had no issues whatsoever since.

Advertisement