Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horses and trains

Options
  • 01-11-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I've seen horses running along when a train passes. Now I understand that this isn't out of fright. So are they racing the trains :) or is it just herd mentality?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It's hard to know. Maybe they're just doing it for fun or a bit of sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Could be excitement if one kicks off.

What a great way to desensitize a horse, having a train track beside the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

My parents have a great field next to the waterford/dublin train track and we used to put all our youngsters in it from foals upwards........the foals and yearlings used to race the train (i swear they did!!) but once they got abit older they ignored it....brill for traffic and noises!
    Have my welshies up there now and it was soo funny watching them the first time the train came...that was 2 weeks ago now they ignore it!
    The CIE has been traffic proofing our horses/ponies for 20years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When the Dunboyne rail line was being planned, some of the local land owners were concerned as there are quite a few stud farms in the area. i mentioned the issue of the possibility of train horns disturbing horses.

The response at the oral hearing in front of An Bord Pleanála was that horses generally don't care about train noise. The example was given of, I think, Ascot which is close to Heathrow and the horses just ignore the noise from the aircraft (anyway, there is no way for a horse to meaningfully race against an Airbus :pac:).

During the intermission, the animal behaviour consultant told me of a new quarry where the farmers were worried about the blasting disturbing the cattle. They did a few small test blasts and worryingly, the cattle ran towards the explosions! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

mack2 wrote: »
    My parents have a great field next to the waterford/dublin train track and we used to put all our youngsters in it from foals upwards........the foals and yearlings used to race the train (i swear they did!!) but once they got abit older they ignored it....brill for traffic and noises!
    Have my welshies up there now and it was soo funny watching them the first time the train came...that was 2 weeks ago now they ignore it!
    The CIE has been traffic proofing our horses/ponies for 20years!!!

Thats cool Mack2

Do you do stud livery/weaning or is it just your own stock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement