Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid fuel stove instalation

Options
  • 01-11-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am purchasing a Stanley Oisin stove (solid fuel model) which I want to install in place of a preexisting gas fire and I'm wondering if anyone has had this done or can recomend anyone for the job - I live in Raheen so anyone from the city / county area would be fine, and I also have no idea how much this should cost so again if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

If you are installing to an existing chimney (flue) then it is very simple. The suppliers should be able to advise. Perhaps you could install yourself. Be careful to comply with building regs. The stove should have a non combustible hearth around it. I can't remember the dimensions but I think this hearth needs to extend 200mm from the stove. Rarely done but I wonder would it be a problem with insurance in future for some people.
    Good luck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I installed an insert type stove myself recently. I'm very happy with the results to date.

I disconnected and removed the old open gas fire. Pretty easy to do. I have a marble fireplace btw. I was surprised that there was no fire back installed. The flue was essentially new however and in perfect condition.

I ended up getting a flexible steel flue fitted to the top of the stove which fits into goes into the main chimney flue. The back of the fireplace is insulated with rockwool, with plenty of gap between it and the stove itself.

If you need the number of my plumber please send me a message. He's very good, and not unreasonable price wise either.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Make sure any ducting that you use is rated for use in a fireplace.
    You may have to use either flexible or rigid ducting but be aware of any change in direction ,either by using the flexible or fitting pre made rigid collars. If the bend is too sudden it may end up being a trap for soot and can be a hazard in the future. Install the ducting in such a way that it can be disassembled when ever you sweep the chimney .
    When the ducting enters the existing chimney flue make sure to pack in the space between the two with FIREPROOF insulation. This is important as if any soot congregates on the insulation it must be made fireproof.
    You might be able to get a catch tray made up for that purpose from a local metal fabrication shop.

Once you have it installed safely all that is left is to enjoy the new comfort in your home. I love mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Max123

thanks to all for help and advice! Can't see myself tackling it myself as a bit nervous of the old gas fire but you'd never know;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Just make sure its done right, do it wrong and someone can die. Me, i decided the safest thing was to run a flexiflue from the back of the insert stove all the way to the top of the chimney where it was attached to a plate and cowel. The chimney was packed with vermiculate.

There is alot of contradictory information out there, do your research.

oh and btw, best decision we ever made was to get one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Assuming that its a fairly modern system then ur gas boiler will have a been a closed system, prssurised from ur mains with an expansion vessel which allows the system to expand and cotract due to the rise in tempature of the water.

If ur puttin in a stanley then u'll need to remove this and put in a gravity fed system which allows the water to expand up the pipe and overflow into the feed thank, u cant use an expansion vessel for stove as theres uncontrolled amount of heat unlike a boiler which has a maximum capacity and can be compensated for by the expansion vessel.

If your doing it yourself and don't put a gravity fed system in, then you realistaclly could die!!!! just a thought...

know a good plumber johnathon in raheen if ya wanna PM

Advertisement