Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] What race would you recommend?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 3:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I've been interested in playing EVE for a while, so I was just wondering what the pros and cons of each race are. I know you can fly any ship as any race, but as I understand it, the different races do have slight advantages and disadvantages in certain areas, at least to begin with.

Currently I'm gravitating towards Amarr.

Oh also what's the most commonly played race? And least common? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

anything but gallente

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

gallente

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Races really don't have any meaning in Eve for choosing your race except what gun/flight skills you'll start with and you can easily skill up another race to the same level in a few days.

As a general over view though:
    Amarr - Lasers, very energy intensive and current flavour of the month. Be warned that until you hit BS they are not that strong as laser uses up your cap quickly. Due to the no reload this is the big fleet fight race of the year, usually armor tanked

Minmatar - Another flavour of the month (and is constantly in flavour as well), if Amarr really comes into play at BS level Minmatar is everything below BS instead. Very popular for solo/roaming PvP but also very skill intensive due to split weapon systems on ships and even split on armor/shield tanking

Gallente - The current bastard child of the lot for ships. Gallente has some nice BS and Cruisers and are really good with drones etc. Gallente is armor tanked but has a generally weak ship line at the moment due to drones / hybrid combo (hybrids are considered second weakest/weakest depending on who you ask). Gallente is armor tanked

Caldari - This is the generally recommended starting PvE race due to Raven. Raven is the default go to comparison ship for PvE simply because it lets you sit 100km away from the target and throw missiles at it. Caldari is shield tanked and use missiles. This makes it a great race for PvE but not for in PvP in general (there are exceptions such as Drake).

Which to go for? Well it depends on what you want to go but don't worry to much about the race, you'll learn as you go along what you want to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Minmatar - Another flavour of the month (and is constantly in flavour as well), if Amarr really comes into play at BS level Minmatar is everything below BS instead. Very popular for solo/roaming PvP but also very skill intensive due to split weapon systems on ships and even split on armor/shield tanking

This no longer exists in eve if you wish to have fun...Just go amarr or caldari tbfh run missions like a pro or sit in a lagged out fleet battle

go eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Go with whatever race you like the look of. Your avatar is going to be staring back at you for however long you play.

Everything else can be rectified by training. Considering new toons start with a mere 50k SPs and a small fraction of that in their actual racial frigate skill, you can quite easily roll a Caldari toon and be flying matar ships on day 1.

Oh, and if you're new, consider joining EVE Uni or one of the other training corps. They make things a helluva lot easier. Also might consider whoring yourself for a few million isk by begging here or in Ireland. Odds are someone will throw you a mill or ten. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Synalon Etuul

Thank you for the views!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

bizmark wrote: »
    This no longer exists in eve if you wish to have fun...Just go amarr or caldari tbfh run missions like a pro or sit in a lagged out fleet battle

go eve!

You're so bitter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

TBH it doesn't really matter which race you start with. I started with Caldari, but now mainly use Minmatar & Gallente ships. You can train any skills you want that's the beauty and complexity of EVE.

Advertisement