Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need new tellys?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

What's this about digital tv service since yesterday and thousands of us will have no fair city unless we get new tellys by 2012?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

pathway33 wrote: »
    thousands of us will have no fair city unless we get new tellys by 2012?

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

If this could lead to the cancellation of Fair City, I am against the purchase of new tvs

Buy a set-top-box then your old telly will still work!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

pathway33 wrote: »
    What's this about digital tv service since yesterday and thousands of us will have no fair city unless we get new tellys by 2012?

Hardly worth buing them when they'll be obsoleted in two years... BY THE END OF THE WOLRD!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

It hurts my eyes to read this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you use SKY or UPC then no need to change

otherwise you might need to buy a set top box in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I got a new telly in '41.

So, no, I don't need a new telly. Although I do hear that they have TVs with colour now. That would be kinda cool. I watched Avatar recently and the racism was completely lost on me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I got a new telly in '41.

So, no, I don't need a new telly. Although I do hear that they have TVs with colour now. That would be kinda cool. I watched Avatar recently and the racism was completely lost on me.
    1941 ? You must have been bored for the first 6 years
    The outbreak of the Second World War caused the BBC service to be suspended on September 1, 1939, resuming from Alexandra Palace on June 7, 1946.

and what have you been watching since the old 405 line was turned off in the early '80s ?

tip
    next time you watch Avatar you may notice that some of the characters have tails

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'm not in England so the BBC interruption did not affect me. And I was in prime position for the launch of Fair City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

wont we all be dead in 2012:rolleyes::rolleyes::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

A V A wrote: »

And finally be free of Fair City. Come on Mayan Apocalypse type thing!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hardly worth buing them when they'll be obsoleted in two years... BY THE END OF THE WOLRD!

Every time I see this 2012 stuff, it saddens me.
    I wish people would educate themselves about this stuff.
    "Its all about the end of the world!" NO - Its bloody NOT!

Its about CHANGE in the world - not the end of the world.
    And besides, its now accepted that there is a good chance their clock was wrong by a few months too!

See: http://www.archaeologydaily.com/news/201010205341/More-on-2012-Mayan-Calendar-Doomsday-Date-Might-Be-Wrong.html
    The Mayans Never Predicted Doomsday

Before we continue, it's worth emphasizing that this meso-american calendar (as used by several cultures -- including the Maya -- in Central and South America before European colonization) does not predict an apocalypse

And while your at it, look up the actual meaning of "apocalypse"!!!
    Its not what you think or have been lead to believe!

Bloody Hollywood and co is educating people more stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Biggins wrote: »

And besides, its now accepted that there is a good chance their clock was wrong by a few months too!

See: http://www.archaeologydaily.com/news/201010205341/More-on-2012-Mayan-Calendar-Doomsday-Date-Might-Be-Wrong.html

We will have much more to worry about than the end of the world in 2012 if the IMF take control of our finances.
    Anyway, If the end of the world was to happen in 2012, I would probably watch it on Sky news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

"Its all about the end of the world!" NO - Its bloody NOT

I think the end of the world thing was an attempt at humour Biggins....might be wrong though. ;)

flyton5 wrote: »
    I think the end of the world thing was an attempt at humour Biggins....might be wrong though. ;)
    Probably was but I was not just referring to posts here but in the public perception of The Mayan Clock and 2012 in general.

The lack of education in people is very sad sometimes.
    Bloody Hollywood, the tabloid media and other crappy stunts be it in book, moving visual or audio format, have some of our heads filled with uneducated garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Probably was but I was not just referring to posts here but in the public perception of The Mayan Clock and 2012 in general.

The lack of education in people is very sad sometimes.
    Bloody Hollywood, the tabloid media and other crappy stunts be it in book, moving visual or audio format, have some of our heads filled with uneducated garbage.

Don't bother with the set top box so.

[QUOTE=Biggins;68787871The lack of education in people is very sad sometimes.
    Bloody Hollywood, the tabloid media and other crappy stunts be it in book, moving visual or audio format, have some of our heads filled with uneducated garbage.[/QUOTE]Don't forget that the Roman Calendar doesn't have a year 5000 :eek:

cml387 wrote: »
    Don't bother with the set top box so.
    I rarely do to be honest and the very odd weekly rubbish that we sit through at home, we have a good idea how bad it really is - so laugh at it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

We will have much more to worry about than the end of the world in 2012 if the IMF take control of our finances.
    Anyway, If the end of the world was to happen in 2012, I would probably watch it on Sky news.

A fate worse than death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

You probably will need a new telly by 2012 ,manufacturing standard on these thing is only 5 years now:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

This kind of rational thinking has no place in AH.

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    This kind of rational thinking has no place in AH.
    I know, ya think this ejit should know better! :o

jaysus its was a joke for feck sake :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

flyton5 wrote: »

it twas indeed

I know, ya think this ejit should know better! :o

whos the ejit ??

whos the ejit ??
    Me, of course! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

My telly has a 2 pin plug

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Well this old Telly stopped working years ago!

Advertisement