Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S suddenly not being recognised by PC (USB cable connection)

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Galaxy S suddenly not being recognised by PC (USB cable connection). Quite infuriating. I've checked Settings>About Phone>USB Settings and it's set to PC Internet. It's not the PC, it is OK with other devices...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you restart the pc and try again. Unplug the cable and phone before rebooting and wait till the pc settles before plugging them back in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I had the same problem this morning. Plugged in phone and nothing happening on PC. I had the phone set to ask me what kind of connection to use when connected to USB. So I went into Settings / About Phone / USB and set it to Mass Storage and then plugged it back into the PC it was picked up.

The USB stuff on the Samsung is a little bit flakey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Did you restart the pc and try again. Unplug the cable and phone before rebooting and wait till the pc settles before plugging them back in.

Yep, I did that last night and tried it on another PC. No joy.
    I had the same problem this morning. Plugged in phone and nothing happening on PC. I had the phone set to ask me what kind of connection to use when connected to USB. So I went into Settings / About Phone / USB and set it to Mass Storage and then plugged it back into the PC it was picked up.

The USB stuff on the Samsung is a little bit flakey.

I'm in work now so network restrictions in place. Phone is essentially useless to me if I can't connect to PC for MP3 downloads. Only possible cause I can think of - I experienced the Market download problem described elsewhere and could only fix it by clearing cache and uninstalling updates(Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Market).

I was expecting apps to be deleted but they weren't. But maybe some driver for integrating with Windows was deleted (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

I had a similar problem and it sometimes comes back. I need to connect the phone in mass storage file and delete files with a long extension. They are usually thumbnail files in the DCIM folder. More info here but works for me every time

http://arvindgaba.com/computer/samsung-galaxy-s/mtp-usb-device-failed-to-install-for-samsung-galaxy-s-kies-resolved/

There is also an option within Kies (top left) to reinstall drivers. I have read that this sometimes fixes the problem as well. Strange that for such an 'important' piece of Samsung software that it was deemed neccessary to include such a hacky option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

delynet wrote: »
    I had a similar problem and it sometimes comes back. I need to connect the phone in mass storage file and delete files with a long extension. They are usually thumbnail files in the DCIM folder. More info here but works for me every time

http://arvindgaba.com/computer/samsung-galaxy-s/mtp-usb-device-failed-to-install-for-samsung-galaxy-s-kies-resolved/

There is also an option within Kies (top left) to reinstall drivers. I have read that this sometimes fixes the problem as well. Strange that for such an 'important' piece of Samsung software that it was deemed neccessary to include such a hacky option.

Thanks, but tried this and didn't work. I thought the guys in the local phone shop might have suggestions..but no...

In fairness they're changing it for me, which seems a bit OTT when all it needs is a software update/fix. Besides, same thing likely to happen again. O Samsung rep was no help - she just suggested connecting via Mass Storage - like I hadn't tried that and more besides.

I just want a product that works as it's supposed to, not something I have to keep faffing about with to solve buggy problems. Maybe I shoulda got an iPhone after all:(?

Is there any company that does system upgrades for smartphones (Phonemenders?)? I love the features and apps but can't be bother with all the nerding about trying to fix problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

pburns wrote: »
    Is there any company that does system upgrades for smartphones (Phonemenders?)? I love the features and apps but can't be bother with all the nerding about trying to fix problems...

There is a guy here on boards, partyatmygaff, who offers a service where he assists you iirc.
    There is post here in android forums.

Advertisement