Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ulster bank student credit card

Options
  • 01-11-2010 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

So I opened an Ulster Bank student current account this week, and while there the lady mentioned several times that student credit cards and overdrafts were available to all 3rd level students. I politely declined, saying I'd like to think it over.

In light of the current economic climate we are in, how easy is it to get a STUDENT credit card? esp considering I have never had any form of credit except an overdraft with Halifax a few years ago and loans from the credit union. If I knew it'd be possible for me to obtain one I'd go ahead and apply, it'd be good for emergencies and beginning a credit history.

The thing that always puzzled me is you have to have a credit history to get a credit card. So how do you get a credit card for the first time if you dont have a credit history?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

As with all regulated products it will be Credit Scored. This does not mean you have to have a credit history. If you've none then you'll get assessed on your current ability to repay.

Lastly, student credit card limits are low enough, with the basic starting at 450 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Thanks for the reply,

When I was working full time in the same job for years, earning 2K a month I was unsuccessful in obtaining a standard credit card from my old bank....and I had the ability to repay then!?

So it made me wonder if its easier to obtain a student credit card?

Damn, I'd even fork out the amount my limit would be and have it frozen as security until the bank were happy that I posessed the ability to repay every month.

Advertisement