Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Influence of Message Boards

Options
  • 01-11-2010 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

[I've cleared this with Insect Overlord, so I'm going to make a very big long wordy post now, readers beware]

Dearest Internet folk,

I'm doing a project about the impact of technology on modern life, and I've decided to choose message boards, or as the kids say nowadays, forums, as my topic. Basically, this involves a lot of boring stuff.

BUT
    (strange looking word when you think about it)

Part of the project will contain an interview, constructed by me, about how people have been affected by the use of forums. From personal experience, I know forums can be a huge factor in people's lives, but while it's something integral our lives, it's a relatively new thing really.

So, in this Magellan like manner, I ask you: would anyone like to be interviewed? I'm thinking over MSN, but I know some of you who use the forum a bit go to UL, or I know you personally, so it could be face to face aswell. The criteria is pretty broad, but if forums have changed how you see your life, your hobbies etc., you'd be the ideal candidate. It's only 20 questions, and I'll PM them to you beforehand so you can see what they're about, have a think, or opt out if you're not up to answering them.

I can't promise you'll be offered amazing insights into why you use the internet, but it could be an interesting interview- I'm enthusiastic about doing it! I know people are busy with college and stuff, so I'm willing to suit anyone who's doing me a favour. Please PM me if you're interested!

Yours in celery,

Agnostic Mantis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Woo, sounds fun! I'd be glad to help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'd be up for it over MSN or PM or something! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Would be up for it too on MSN/PM! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I'll do it too :) I got a boyfriend out of boards and my life has changed a fair bit so I'd say I'm a good candidate :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just to confirm that Agnostic Mantis did indeed clear this with me earlier :)

Also, I'm in Limerick too so a trip out to UL for an interview should be no hassle at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Hotaru wrote: »
    I'll do it too :) I got a boyfriend out of boards and my life has changed a fair bit so I'd say I'm a good candidate :p

I can say almost exactly the same thing! :)

So yeah, I'd be willing to do it. Probably won't be in Limerick anytime soon and don't have MSN, but if it can be done over PM or something it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I'm up for it. MSN's grand, or I'll be in Limerick in about 3 weeks time, whatever suits yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Count me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Hotaru wrote: »

Yup, exact same as this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'd do it. Have a tale or two to tell I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I could do it I guess, I spend all my time online anyway

Thing is I don't use MSN or whatever, so might be easiest to go with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Wow! I really wasn't expecting so many replies! So, to save PMing you all the details, I'll just outline them here:

I'm thinking about PMing the questions out either today or tommorow, so you'll have the week to look over them whenever you've got some free time, and you can think about them a bit. This'll make the interview flow better I think, and it won't pressure you to come up with answers on the spot- and it also means you won't have to neglect all that college work I know you're all so eager to do.

I can do the interviews this or next weekend (but I assume some people will have things to do), or another good day would be (next) Wednesday Nov 10. I'll be free all day, so I can work around times to suit you cool people!

I would prefer that the interview be done face-to-face, through MSN or Skype or something like that, rather than PMs. The reason being, if I want to prod the conversation a certain way not stated in the questions (don't worry, "what are you wearing" won't be one of them) it's easier in real-time than in the kind of stilted PM format. Also, I don't want it to be like an exam- a casual geek fest is more my forté.:)

Finally, the project only requires me to interview three people, so not every interview will be included. That said, I'd still like to interview as many people as possible anyway, because it's a subject that's important to me aswell- and the more I do, the better able I might be to do them, or I might come across other.....lines of questioning.[dramatic music]

My MSN is kernnee@yahoo.co.uk, and I'm on it a lot, so if you have any questions, or questions about the questions, feel free to say hi.

With regards to real-life interviews, I wouldn't like people to go out of their way for my sake, but if people are up for it, I'll get in touch with you guys and sort something out.

This is starting to turn into a novel, so I shall end transmission now. Once again, thanks so much for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Have no problem with this either, would like to help. PM/MSN suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I could do it I guess, I spend all my time online anyway

Thing is I don't use MSN or whatever, so might be easiest to go with someone else.
    If you have a hotmail account, you can use it within your browser.

I might be able to do it on a pm or MSN basis.(also have skype)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I'd be very interested in helping out. Can talk by PM\MSN\IRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I can meet you in real life on Sunday! So yes, I will do it.

Though if you feel funny interviewing me, that's grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'd like to take part in this, I can chat on MSN if you like, I've added you there...I'm tune(finish the rest yourself) :pac:

I've had a hell of a ride in the time I've been on boards, and most people already know why so anything you wanna ask, send away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I'll definitely do it! ANy of those times suit :) I'll add you on MSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Count me in, but can I do it by PM or facebook chat or something? I have no MSN

Jay P wrote: »
    I can meet you in real life on Sunday! So yes, I will do it.

Though if you feel funny interviewing me, that's grand :)

That'd be grand. And maybe, if we get all our work done, we can try a regular conversation afterwards. I hear they're the greatest.
    Count me in, but can I do it by PM or facebook chat or something? I have no MSN

Hmm, I'd be wary of Facebook tbh, the chat's fairly unreliable a lot of the time. Jackobyte made the suggestion that if you have an e-mail address you can use MSN within your browser, without signing up to it. There's a lot of hate for MSN it seems.

Oh, by the way, if you're adding me on MSN could you send me one of those little message things, just so I know who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Sounds like your project is going to be really general and vague, with a few trite soundbites from boards.ie posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'll add you on msn now! I'm n0el@etc...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

sesna wrote: »
    Sounds like your project is going to be really general and vague, with a few trite soundbites from boards.ie posters.

How could you possibly deduce that from two or three posts in one thread? :confused:

Right, I think I've sent the questions to everyone. Also, a lucky few may have got some garbage about Mario at the end of them, because I copy pasta'd something else I was doing into the message by accident, and decided to leave it in! Also, the ASCII face was brilliant. The laws of PMs be a harsh mistress.

If anyone hasn't got one, let me know. I probably sent some people the same thing twice as well.

I'll be away from Wednesday until Friday, so I doubt I'll be able to boards it up until then, so don't take it all personal like if I don't reply to things after tonight.

Aaaalllso, I don't know if my MSN is messing up, or you guys just haven't added me yet, but I'm only friends with Midnight EG so far. (Cool guy, even if his penchant for woeful puns is a bit off-putting. :P)

I hope the questions are clear, and thanks very much for yer time!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ooh, it's very interesting! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I didn't get the questions, I'm pretty sure I PM'd you anyway, I'll check..
    Yep I did!

I feel so left out.:(:pac:

Anyone wanna forward them to me since AM probably won't be on for the rest of this week?

Storm, I made amends there a while ago and sent you the questions, so if you haven't gotten them by now well..there's no easy way to say this, but your PM box is inhabited by micheivous digi-ghouls.

Also, there's another reason for this bump. I recognise now that I was perhaps being a bit optimistic with the MSN interview ideas, since it is really a bit difficult to be online with another person at the same time- if you're as busy as I am this week, it's easy to see why.

So, what I propose is, if you're still up for (read still have time for) doing the interview, maybe send it by PM, it'll be a bit easier that way for both parties involved.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Midnight_EG for his great interview, and his perserverance with my frankly retarded MSN skills!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm usually on MSN in the evenings after 10PM and now and again after 4PM to 5PM. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I don't mind taking part. :) I'm in UL if you wanted a face to face interview or I could do it over MSN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Storm, I made amends there a while ago and sent you the questions, so if you haven't gotten them by now well..there's no easy way to say this, but your PM box is inhabited by micheivous digi-ghouls.

Also, there's another reason for this bump. I recognise now that I was perhaps being a bit optimistic with the MSN interview ideas, since it is really a bit difficult to be online with another person at the same time- if you're as busy as I am this week, it's easy to see why.

So, what I propose is, if you're still up for (read still have time for) doing the interview, maybe send it by PM, it'll be a bit easier that way for both parties involved.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Midnight_EG for his great interview, and his perserverance with my frankly retarded MSN skills!:)

My pleasure :D

Advertisement