Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird id

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Pochard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

A tricky one: possibly a juvenile wigeon. You can see some chestnut markings on flank. Short stubby bill gray. Dark feet. Undertail coverts have dark markings
    Any chance of a photo of an extended wing?

Where did you shoot the Pink-footed goose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

A tricky one: possibly a juvenile wigeon. You can see some chestnut markings on flank. Short stubby bill gray. Dark feet. Undertail coverts have dark markings

Definatly not a wigeon, I was thinking myself that it might be a gadwall,but i'm not sure.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5938/20101031duck0035medium.jpg

The underside.
    http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8359/20101031duck0036medium.jpg

And the rump.
    http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6685/20101031duck0038medium.jpg

Warning: the links are images of birds that have been shot

marlin vs wrote: »
    Definatly not a wigeon, I was thinking myself that it might be a gadwall,but i'm not sure.
    Some wigeon especially juvenile can have hardly any chestnut markings on flank.
    Gadwall has yellow feet, this bird has dark feet.

On wing pattern you can see a narrow whitish patch on inner secondaries. That looks like a female/juvenile wigeon wing pattern. A young Gadwall can have a similar pattern but that legs do not fit.

The tail is pointed, which wigeons have. A female/ecilpse/juvenile pintail also have a pointed tail, but they have a broad white trailing edge on wings and have a long bill (lacking in this bird)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

<Mod edit>
    Please, I have no issue with this. There are very knowledgeable folk here with regard to bird ID.
    Stay on topic of OP, that is the ID of the bird

Report if you have issue.

• Advertisement

The goose was shot in Perth & Kinnross Scotland last week and was shot legally.

A similar looking wigeon:
    51zpg5.jpg
    Marlin, what specific id features lead you to think it's not a wigeon?

It seemed darker than normal,I got an answer back from birdwatch and it is indeed a juvinile wigeon, in flight although it was dusk I was sure it was a flock of wigeon, but when the dog brought it back I was having doubts, since I wasn't sure I had to find out.

Your bird was tricky, the plumage was faded.

I'm just after getting another answer from another birdwatching site that think's it could be a juvinile female Widgeon or Pintail, so nothing really definate.

• Advertisement

ran8tx.jpg
    Immature female pintail: note broad white trailing edge to wing.

20qcoau.jpg
    Immature female american wigeon (american and eurasian wing pattern virtually identical). Note lack of broad white trailing edge and narrow white patch on inner secondaries. This wing is most similar to your bird.

Also note stubby bill on your bird while pintail has narrow long bill. Both species have the pointed tail.

Fergal i'm going with you and birdwatch, thank's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement