Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best victorian novel in terms of atmosphere?

Options
  • 31-10-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Im hunting for a really atmospheric victorian novel and have been looking at a few different ones like Sherlock Holmes and Dickens etc. I read quite regularly but have traditionally steered away from these classics for some reason, lately however i have an inexplicable craving for a story with a really victorian atmosphere.

So does anyone have any recommendations or favourites out there?

In terms of Dickens ive only read christmas carol which was excellent and obviously only a minor foray into his work however i think its a good example of what im after.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Read Henry James' 'Turn of the Screw'. A small little gothic horror novella, really does a good job with the entire genre and is Victorian literature at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is very atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Poe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

The picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte. Can't beat that for an atmosphere of forboding and dread.

Turn of the Screw, Henry James. Creepy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Great Expectations is a great page turner with menace in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte. Can't beat that for an atmosphere of forboding and dread.

These two for sure.

Slightly after the Victorian era (though he was born in it) is William Hope Hodgson's absolutely brilliant short stories about his ghost hunting detective Carnacki. You can pick up a paperback anthology of all the stories very cheaply from Wordsworth (The Casebook of Carnacki the Ghost Finder), great atmosphere and far less formulaic than you might expect (not all the hauntings turn out to be what they seem). Hope Hodgson's novels are good but if you're not big into weird fiction (like Lovecraft, Poe, etc.) they might be a bit out there. If you're feeling adventurous, The House on the Borderland is his masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I'll second Jane Eyre and The woman in White!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭pavb2

Agree with Woman in White, The Moonstone also Wilkie Collins wasn't bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Sardonicat wrote: »

I'm ashamed to admit that these are the only two books names so far that I've actually read, but I definitely agree that they both have amazing atmospheres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

buck65 wrote: »
    Great Expectations is a great page turner with menace in spades.

+ 1 on this one.

It is a damning indictment of social conditions at the time of writing. A brilliant read. You can't really beat Dickens for the Victorian era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Hey everyone, thanks for the great response to this. Ive actually, by sheer coincidence, read the two books that have popped up most in this thread, turn of the screw and wuthering heights and throughly enjoyed them both. I think maybe Great Expectations is the one to read, it always pops up as an answer to a question ive asked so i think its time i sat down with it. Is it fair to say that its Dickens best work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Hey everyone, thanks for the great response to this. Ive actually, by sheer coincidence, read the two books that have popped up most in this thread, turn of the screw and wuthering heights and throughly enjoyed them both. I think maybe Great Expectations is the one to read, it always pops up as an answer to a question ive asked so i think its time i sat down with it. Is it fair to say that its Dickens best work?

I haven't read enough Dickens to judge even though with all the film/TV adaptations of his work I feel like I've read alot more.
    Seems regarded as one of his best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the life of charlotte bronte by elizabeth gaskell,also her other popular books,cranford[1853. mary barton[1848]. north and south [1855].sylvias lovers[1863].and the unfinished wives and daughters[1866].she was the bronte families close friend

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sabscababs

For a different take on the late Victorian novel, try George Gissing's 'New Grub Street'. It's all about writing itself in the Victorian era, and you can see the change coming along from artistic literature to commercial writing through the two male leads, Edwin Reordan and Jasper Milvain. It's also pretty cool for that theme we hear bashed about of the 'New Woman'. I enjoyed it anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Actually I don't know how I missed this, but Bram Stoker's Dracula is a good candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭pavb2

Plowman wrote: »

Absolutely agree with this (just finished it)I'm shocked that it's not more popular I'd certainly never heard of it before. Thanks, brilliant recommendation

Pavb2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

My experience reading contemporaneous Victorian novels is limited if not non-existent.
    Currently I am reading Fingersmith (2002) by Sarah Waters, which is set in Victorian times and I've seen many reviews praising the narrative and dialogue in the book.
    I dont feel qualified to comment on that accuracy but I find the plot and writing very engaging. I only wish I had more time to read it quicker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

You mention Dickens, Have you read The Mystery of Edwin Drood? Very atmospheric from what I can remember of it, very Victorian. Unfinished though...!

Advertisement