Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kestrel

Options
  • 30-10-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

I was out for a walk in Skerries today and noticed a bird hovering just above a wall near rocks on the beach. I got closer and realised it was a Kestrel, It wasn't botherd by people walking by and I got within a metre of it. It was there for around 30mins until a bunch of crows chased it off. I was so annoyed that I didn't have my camera. Is it unusual to see a Kestrel so close to a beach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

No not unusual at all

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

There was a female regular at the dunes in Portmarnock about two-three years ago. She'd always come hunting just before dusk. Beautiful bird.

In fact great pic taken at Bull island some months ago and front page Irish times. Kestrel with a rat.

Here it is it was on the 10th auust if the archive doesn't open immediately

http://irishtimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

It was a Female in Skerries too, I can't believe how close I was to her, she was hovering just a couple of metres above my head. She headed off towards Ardgillan castle when the crows arrived.

• Advertisement
Advertisement