Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Cut Express versus iMovie

Options
  • 30-10-2010 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Re: Final Cut Express.
    I got iMovie last year and found the editing really basic but OK, but more problematic was the quality of the final video. So I bought Final Cut Express in the hope of getting a better quality end product video. I'm still editing in FCE but see from Freddie59's post that FCE is not great quality. Is FCE worth the time and trouble or should I stay with iMovie?
    Ooa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I haven't used iMovie, so i can't comment. The problem that I am having is that when I compare the final SD output to the SD output of similar projects created on a PC with Pinnacle Studio, it lacks the sharpness of PS.

It's like for like, so I can see the difference. How is the output to DVD from iMovie? Are you happy with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ooa

Ooa wrote: »
    Re: Final Cut Express.
    I got iMovie last year and found the editing really basic but OK, but more problematic was the quality of the final video. So I bought Final Cut Express in the hope of getting a better quality end product video. I'm still editing in FCE but see from Freddie59's post that FCE is not great quality. Is FCE worth the time and trouble or should I stay with iMovie?
    Ooa

The options for iMovie output to DVD is limited, and there's no way to alter it. Regarding quality: I know someone using it for documentary material and they are really happy with it. But I'm using it for close up photographic stills made into a video, and the quality is just not there. The up side is its so quick to use but really its a very basic editing program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

The options for iMovie output to DVD is limited,

The options on FCE are not exactly mindblowing either, if you can scrape together the pennies I suggest going straight for Final Cut Pro.

If you plan on really getting into editing (even if it's just your own stuff) then you will outgrow FCE very quickly and wish you have more of the features on FCP.

The options for iMovie output to DVD is limited, and there's no way to alter it. Regarding quality: I know someone using it for documentary material and they are really happy with it. But I'm using it for close up photographic stills made into a video, and the quality is just not there. The up side is its so quick to use but really its a very basic editing program.

I tend to agree. I'm even firing up Pinnacle on the old Dell PC to edit my son's wedding DVD. Pity really.

keefg wrote: »
    The options on FCE are not exactly mindblowing either, if you can scrape together the pennies I suggest going straight for Final Cut Pro.

If you plan on really getting into editing (even if it's just your own stuff) then you will outgrow FCE very quickly and wish you have more of the features on FCP.

I don't know if I could warrant the cost for what I use it for really. Could you tell me the difference between the two? What do you get for the extra bucks?

I suppose if I gave the Pros and Cons it might be more useful:

Pinnacle pros:

* Simple interface.
    * Import, edit, and burn contained within the program.
    * Never dropped frames or audio out of sync.
    * grabbing stills from the video is a doddle.
    * Very easy to manipulate the quality on the burn side.
    * Massive amount of fun transitions for the home editor.
    * The quality of the finished product is superb.

Pinnacle cons:

* Tends to freeze and crash during editing.

FCE pros:

* Never, EVER, crashes or freezes.
    * Edit windows are a good size, allowing great flexibility when editing.
    * iDVD menus are very slick and professional looking.

FCE cons:

* Extremely poor choice of transitions. The usual ones - dissolves, fades, page curls, etc.
    * Constant issues capturing widescreen SD. Error messages for audio out of sync etc. Even when you select the roper import format it starts all over the next time.
    * Cannot grab stills from the video.
    * Separate burning program (iDVD) has to be used - this is not as flexible as the Pinnacle burn process.
    * The final output DVD is not as sharp as pinnacle Studio.

Hope that helps.

Freddie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Are you limited to a mac? If not check out Sony Vegas.

JG009 wrote: »
    Are you limited to a mac? If not check out Sony Vegas.

Thanks for that. I have Windows on a VM, but it cannot see the firewire port, and the captured Mac footage is not very good on a Windows editing program. Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I use Sony Vegas 10 on PC, sometimes I use iMovie but I find it a bit basic. Vagas is great for what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

<snip>

In before the ban! Dope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

If you see a spam post in one of the forums please just hit the report button and let the mods take care of it.

Replying to the post by saying "In before the ban, Dope" only creates more work for us by having more posts to delete/edit.

Also, I'm pretty sure calling a spambot a Dope doesn't hurt their feelings;).

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement