Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Samsung Nexus Two With Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Pretty old story for "daily fresh news".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

The fact that Samsung are ahead of the posse with an android update even if its a new phone is interesting, their updates to android are very slow in being rolled out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bogman wrote: »
    The fact that Samsung are ahead of the posse with an android update even if its a new phone is interesting, their updates to android are very slow in being rolled out

It's a Google Nexus 2, made by Samsung, much the same way the Google Nexus One was made by HTC. Google are responsible for the software, not Samsung, so Samsung are not ahead on anything here, infact they still haven't officially rolled out 2.2 to their flagship phone the Samsung Galaxy S.

Im a smartphone/android newbie Inquitus so thanks for that information

More info here
    But for now, we're getting word that Android fans should be happy to hear. By incorporating Android 2.3, that would mean the new OS is complete and ready for deployment. Updates to existing Android phones should hopefully not be too far behind

Other early details about the Nexus Two suggest it will have a 4-inch AMOLED or Super AMOLED display, a 1.2 GHz processor, 5 MP external camera and 1.3 MP front-facing camera, as well as 16 GB of internal storage and 512 MB of RAM.

It'll pack a powerful punch to the Android market, as those specs are more powerful than we've seen on any existing Android phone to date.

http://www.i4u.com/41770/nexus-two-be-first-native-android-23-device

bogman wrote: »
    Im a smartphone/android newbie Inquitus so thanks for that information

More info here

http://www.i4u.com/41770/nexus-two-be-first-native-android-23-device

The Nexus one was an industry leading phone, the Nexus 2 seems to be a marginal update to the 3 mth old iPhone 3GS styled Samsung Galaxy S. In short it's a highly disappointing development that offers little to the Android phone range, given the HTC Desire HD seemingly holds all the aces on the hardware front.

• Advertisement

Chris Ziegler raised a very good point on the Engaget Mobile podcast that - in the USA at least - Samsung almost always release phones as joint ventures with carriers, so an unlocked non-carrier-specific device would be a very strange move for them.

I think the mass of evidence is too much to deny that the phone exists at this point, but his point is definitely thought provoking in that it shows Samsung taking a slightly different direction to what they're accustomed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

If it is a rebranded SGS and it is running 2.3, that's good news if the firmware is released and people can flash it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's a Google Nexus 2, made by Samsung, much the same way the Google Nexus One was made by HTC. Google are responsible for the software, not Samsung, so Samsung are not ahead on anything here, infact they still haven't officially rolled out 2.2 to their flagship phone the Samsung Galaxy S.

I think you missed his point there.
    Samsung have been very good with unofficial updates but slow/delaying with official updates.
    Samsung have arguably the best overall specs of the present generation.
    If google start releasing updates for the nexus 2/sgs, thus fixing the only genuine flaw samsung have presently, they will be top of the pile imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Baza210 wrote: »
    Chris Ziegler raised a very good point on the Engaget Mobile podcast that - in the USA at least - Samsung almost always release phones as joint ventures with carriers, so an unlocked non-carrier-specific device would be a very strange move for them.

it's not a samsung phone though, it is a Google phone. Yes Samsun gwill make their hardware but it would be up to google to promote and distribute the phone.

Actually given google pulled it's on line store, I'm wondering will they sell this phone at all if it comes out or will it just remain as a developers phone.

patch wrote: »
    I think you missed his point there.
    Samsung have been very good with unofficial updates but slow/delaying with official updates.
    Samsung have arguably the best overall specs of the present generation.
    If google start releasing updates for the nexus 2/sgs, thus fixing the only genuine flaw samsung have presently, they will be top of the pile imo.

Samsung are rubbish with firmware updates. 2.2 has not been rolled out yet to the SGS, it is only really available atm to the sort of people who are happy to root their phone etc.

The only benefit the SGS will get from the Nexus 2 being similar is that xda and the other devs will be able to port future releases a bit more easily, a benefit the HTC Desire also gets as it is closely related to the Nexus One in hardware.

The Desire HD is a better phone that the SGS, so Samsung doesn't have a lead in hardware since its recent release. But this is the way of the world, Samsung take the lead, then HTC retake it etc. it's not a reflection on either manufacturer. The SGS looks and feels like a bad iPhone 3GS knockoff, I personally don't like it, even though it does have better specs than my HTC Desire I wouldn't swap.

The Nexus 2 will only be available unlocked at full price, and not many people are willing to part with 500+ yoyos for a phone, so don't expect it to sell that well, it is handicapped in that regard the same way the Nexus one was. I would expect Google however to have abandoned the websale only methods of the past, and perhaps have it for sale unlocked in places like Wallmart, Carphone Warehouse etc, which will give it a bit more penetration.

• Advertisement

It comes down to personal preference really.
    Personally I find the weight of the desire puts me right off. The hd version much worse for me in this regard.
    I also much prefer the looks of the sgs, but thats just me, and about six million others.
    I find it curious that rooting is suddenly an issue for desire users when that is the very thing that enabled the desire get its earlier updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I also much prefer the looks of the sgs, but thats just me, and about six million others.

seriously what was the point in that comment other then to start a flame war:confused:

I would still pick an ordinary desire over a SGS or a Desire HD. However I haven't taken a poll to see how many other people would either

It comes down to personal preference really.
    Personally I find the weight of the desire puts me right off. The hd version much worse for me in this regard.
    I find it curious that rooting is suddenly an issue for desire users when that is the very thing that enabled the desire get its earlier updates.

If you are a non Techie SGS owner, your phone is currently a lag-ridden 2.1 PoS with dodgy GPS. If you are a techie its a very decent phone running 2.2 with no lag and working GPS. When judging a phone one has to look at it in both stock and tweaked form.

seriously what was the point in that comment other then to start a flame war:confused:

I would still pick an ordinary desire over a SGS or a Desire HD. However I haven't taken a poll to see how many other people would either

So you picked a line from my quote, took some unfounded offence and decided to imply i'm starting a flame war?
    -grow up.

The SGS looks and feels like a bad iPhone 3GS knock off.....

-Was the comment I replied to. I doubt the poster meant any offence, and hopefully he took no offense or found any deeper meaning in what I said.

Back on topic, as an sgs owner i'm hoping we wind up getting some better software from google due to this.
    It looks likely, we'll know for sure on the 8th I suppose...:D

If you are a non Techie SGS owner, your phone is currently a lag-ridden 2.1 PoS with dodgy GPS. If you are a techie its a very decent phone running 2.2 with no lag and working GPS. When judging a phone one has to look at it in both stock and tweaked form.

I agree with you.
    Which is why google taking a direct hand in future updates is great.
    The potential is proven, the sgs is fantastic but unfortunately hobbled by samsung, for now.
    The official 2.2 out very shortly should address any issues for the normal user.

I agree with you.
    Which is why google taking a direct hand in future updates is great.
    The potential is proven, the sgs is fantastic but unfortunately hobbled by samsung, for now.
    The official 2.2 out very shortly should address any issues for the normal user.

Indeed, but those updates will only be available to Nexus 2 owners. Anyone with an SGS atm will only benefit indirectly via devs porting Nexus 2 ROMs to the SGS. And any SGS owner would be crazy to pay their hard earned cash to upgrade to the Nexus 2.

If I was in the market for a phone now it would be a shootout between the Desire HD and the Nexus 2, but neither of them are worth upgrading to from an SGS or an original Desire, imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Isn't that the truth. I don't know how non techies put up with it. I presume not all users have the issues I had. After rooting and installing the one click lag fix this phone is fantastic. Before doing that I was going to throw it against the wall :D
    If I was in the market for a phone now it would be a shootout between the Desire HD and the Nexus 2, but neither of them are worth upgrading to from an SGS or an original Desire, imo

The only major advantage I see is the screen. I've been using the SGS for a week now and I had to help someone with their Desire over the weekend. The screen seemed small and dull since I've gotten used to the Samsung. However that doesn't make up for the buggy software or Kies.

The SGS with software managed by Google might be worth a look (but as you say, if you have a Desire or working SGS it's probably not worth it).

I got to use a non-techie's SGS today. I can't believe Samsung actually released the phone, that's how slow it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This rumour is not true according to www.bgr.com

No Nexus 2 from Samsung!

• Advertisement

Android 2.3 Smartphone from Samsung, Delayed
    After building up popular expectations that the release of Gingerbread (Android 2.3) this week would coincide with the Google-Samsung Nexus two launch, it seems established now, that those looking forward to hold the sleek Nexus two may have to wait longer. This delay is attributed to a hardware issue exposed by testers though the nature of the snag remains undisclosed.

http://www.twentyfourtimes.com/google-nexus-two-android-2-3-smartphone-from-samsung-delayed/

Advertisement