Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phones causing a collapse in the bee population

Options
  • 30-10-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Didnt bother to read through this whole thread so i dont know if this has been mentioned or not.I vaguely remember hearing something before about the link between mobile phone growth in the last 12 years and the corresponding decline in bee population's in the same time period.Is it a coincidence or is there any truth to the theory that radiation etc from phone mast??The more i've thought about it the more i believe its true,so few bee's around these days compared to the 1990's/1980's etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Aiel wrote: »
    Didnt bother to read through this whole thread so i dont know if this has been mentioned or not.I vaguely remember hearing something before about the link between mobile phone growth in the last 12 years and the corresponding decline in bee population's in the same time period.Is it a coincidence or is there any truth to the theory that radiation etc from phone mast??The more i've thought about it the more i believe its true,so few bee's around these days compared to the 1990's/1980's etc.

animated-bee.gif

Isn't it a parasite that kils them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

squod wrote: »
    animated-bee.gif

Isn't it a parasite that kils them?

It was only a matter of time before mother nature figured out some way to sort them out, they've been defying the laws of physics long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Aiel wrote: »

Have a wee peek at this;

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/science/07bees.html?_r=1

Pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Boo Radley wrote: »
    Have a wee peek at this;

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/science/07bees.html?_r=1

Pretty interesting.

Omg bee's can get candida too O.o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 theworkingman

it could be aliens perhaps who like honey?:D

http://www.organicconsumers.org/bees.cfm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I got stung on my back this year, I also jumped into a pool fully clothed to avoid one, so I'm ok with the mobile phones killing them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

We're all in serious trouble. Bee populations are falling off by the trillion. We lose the bees, there's no pollenation with crops, there goes our food source, ad there goes us shortly afterwards.

david75 wrote: »
    We're all in serious trouble. Bee populations are falling off by the trillion. We lose the bees, there's no pollination with crops, there goes our food source, ad there goes us shortly afterwards.

That theory all stems from Einstein's quote: "If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live." According to the link below he didn't say it.

Only thing is I'm pretty sure it's not quite as bleak as that. Bees are not the only way plants pollinate, eg: pollen on the wind.

I'll try and find the article that goes into a bit more detail. No doubt it will effect pollination I'm under the impression that it wouldn't spell doom for us all.

Link to page talking of Einstein and the dangers associated with death of bee population:

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/2782#ixzz1486dKfb2

Will post alternative when I find it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/may/02/food-fear-mystery-beehives-collapse

"It is estimated that a third of everything we eat depends upon honeybee pollination..."

Having trouble finding the artical but above is another warning of the risks but it does point out that, although massive, bees account for one third of our food which leaves two thirds that are pollinated by other means.

The 1st article I posted showing the believed cause of CCD was written months after the last two I posted so I think we'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I believe this affliction does not affect Bees in Russia.

Because they are KGB’S :p

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

The plot thickens. I haven't check the sources here but it's interesting and could be evidence that there are many differing factors coming together to affect the bee population.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1708896/wiki-bee-leaks-epa-document-reveals-agency-knowingly-allowed-use-of-bee-toxic-pesticide

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

In fairness, why bees should be expected to carry mobile phones around escapes me. It's not like they're great conversationalists and the logistics of texting must be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

alastair wrote: »
    In fairness, why bees should be expected to carry mobile phones around escapes me. It's not like they're great conversationalists and the logistics of texting must be a nightmare.

They don't really use them to make calls Alastair,

They just use the Radio Function to listen to their Favourite artists like, Sting and The Bee Gees :rolleyes:

Gets Coat tuxout.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Or it could be Monsanto have been intentionally killing off bee's by releasing a genetically modified bug into their population via one of the US government sponsored GM bio labs they supposedly work with, including the one on Plum Island in New York or the many others in the US (including for instance the one in Lyme, Connecticut which introduced the ticks which were infected with the disease now known as Lyme disease) - as such then to promote their own GM food crops which won't rely on Bee's at all.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Or it could be Monsanto have been intentionally killing off bee's by releasing a genetically modified bug into their population via one of the US government sponsored GM bio labs they supposedly work with, including the one on Plum Island in New York or the many others in the US (including for instance the one in Lyme, Connecticut which introduced the ticks which were infected with the disease now known as Lyme disease) - as such then to promote their own GM food crops which won't rely on Bee's at all.

Suppose it is not impossible. Mind you that'd be quite a global undertaking...

I personally think the various explanations above, especially the virus/fungus combination which has been tested, is far more likely the root cause.

Yet another update. Curious indeed. Still doubt there is any conspiracy but I'm following this one.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-massive-bumble-bees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

According to a wikileaks leak, it's a pesticide called Clothianidin which is killing the bees. Apparently the US government has known about it for a long time but swept it under the carpet.

http://www.uncoverage.net/2010/12/wikileaks-may-have-solve-%E2%80%9Cbee%E2%80%9D-death-mystery/

According to a wikileaks leak, it's a pesticide called Clothianidin which is killing the bees. Apparently the US government has known about it for a long time but swept it under the carpet.

http://www.uncoverage.net/2010/12/wikileaks-may-have-solve-%E2%80%9Cbee%E2%80%9D-death-mystery/

I posted that story previously. Still doubt it would explain the world wide decline. I'd say it's one of those instances where a whole bunch of things are coming together and resulting in this large scale decline we're seeing. It's unlikely there is any one cause.

Unlucky bees.

Advertisement